Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've looked here. I see 2 smaller relays (I'll call them that), and behind that, by unscrewing the plate that holds them in place is a very large encapsulated unit with a plug that has approximately 12 wires connected. If I unplug that the indicators stop working. So I'm guessing that's it. But how do I replace that with a non sensing unit? My stryker is 2014 so I'm wondering if it's not that simple.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,749 Posts
I've looked here. I see 2 smaller relays (I'll call them that), and behind that, by unscrewing the plate that holds them in place is a very large encapsulated unit with a plug that has approximately 12 wires connected. If I unplug that the indicators stop working. So I'm guessing that's it. But how do I replace that with a non sensing unit? My stryker is 2014 so I'm wondering if it's not that simple.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk
The large encapsulated unit is actually under the seat. That is the ECU. You are looking too hard. It only has 5 pins

·
Registered
74 Posts
No. Neither of them. I took out every unit I could, one at a time, and tested the indicators. The only one that did was the larger unit I posted pictures of earlier in this post. I'm guessing they must have changed things in the later model.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk

·
8,690 Posts
No. Neither of them. I took out every unit I could, one at a time, and tested the indicators. The only one that did was the larger unit I posted pictures of earlier in this post. I'm guessing they must have changed things in the later model.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk
Number 23 http://www.babbittsonline.com/oempar...f/electrical-1 I believe it is near the big ECU under the seat on left side of bike.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk
My guess is that since the Australian model has hazards, it's likely they used a different relay. One with more connections.

The pics in steps 3 & 4 in the 1st post of this thread are pretty good shots of what the US model looks like and where it's located.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ended up buying a couple of 50w 10ohm resistors and placed them in parallel with each of the LED indicators. Thought this would solve my problems. As soon as I connected them, the front would still flash fast, while the back ones wouldn't flash at all! WTF. Any ideas?

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I ended up buying a couple of 50w 10ohm resistors and placed them in parallel with each of the LED indicators. Thought this would solve my problems. As soon as I connected them, the front would still flash fast, while the back ones wouldn't flash at all! WTF. Any ideas?

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk
You do wire in parallel; but everywhere I look, it says use 50w, 6 ohm (not 10 ohm).

Correct wiring:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+wire+load+resistors&num=100&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz7JTEstXJAhUDLyYKHY1_AFYQsAQIMQ&biw=1647&bih=1024#imgrc=sIH5AX24yt__5M%3A

Incorrect wiring:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how...AQIMQ&biw=1647&bih=1024#imgrc=nKlC8dsXmPictM:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I see what your saying, but would that make such a difference? I can always find a 6ohm, but these are sold for that specifically, so thought it would be ok.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
So here's an update to my saga of the LED indicators.
As mentioned, I couldn't just replace the flasher unit because on the Australian bikes, these aren't the standard simple 3 wire units. I tried load resistors, but all that did was stop the indicator from working at all.
Yesterday I went out and bought a standard 12v 21w globe and base and wired that across my LED lights. Again the LED stopped working.
So I took it a step further and just used the globe and base on the indicator wires and that too would not light up or blink. While the front one still hyperflahed.
So I'm now of the opinion that the stock indicators on (Australian) Strykers are a different voltage or something strange like that!
Can anyone shed any light on this for me or offer some suggestions I could try? Particularly Australian owners.
I can't easily disassemble and look at the stock indicators to see what they are.

Richard - Sth Australia
using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts