Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 with 9765 miles, toatally stock except for dog bones to lower it. Yesterday on a long ride it started making a howling noise when I let off the throttle (not pulling clutch in) and I can feel a grinding/dragging. Sounds like it is coming from rear of bike underneath. I tried adjusting the clutch per service manual (which is a bit confusing) and it did not help. I have searched the forum but no detailed instructions or video on clutch adjustment. Any help would be appreciated. thank you

·
Super Moderator
893 Posts
Couple things to look at...

Might sound obvious, but have you checked if there is a stick or debris stuck under the fender anywhere? I have had that happen before.

Grab the rear sprocket (pulley) and wobble it back and forth to see if there is any play. If the cush drive (I think that's what it's called) is worn, the pulley will wobble which will cause a grinding noise. I have never heard of a Stryker with that problem, but other bikes do.

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,170 Posts
Probably not, but it does take a little for the squeal, this is from my experience, as I have had a similar issue many years ago and it was like 3 months after I put a new tire on, I had it adjusted too tight. Just a thought may not be your problem but easy enough to check.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jack up the bike and losses off the belt. Then check the front pulley while in neutral.

I just had the bearing on my front pulley blow apart on me coming home from a trip. It didn't really make any noticeable noise at the time but I was doing 70mph on the interstate at the time on a 6hr trip home.
If you can catch it before that happens you can have the bearing replaced. When mine blew apart it messed up the engine case and I had to replace the motor as it was cheaper for a replacement motor than a complete rebuild with new case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts