Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 Green Stryker. So this is my first time owning a matte black... anything and stupid me wore hiking boots to ride instead of my regular boots. Well my hiking boots had this little metal shoelace hook that scratched the crap out of some round thing on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike). The cap looks like it was a chrome cap covered in a black vinyl covering and the vinyl got scratched off to expose the chrome. Anyhow, I don't want to buy a new one, I was thinking of maybe having a custom sticker printed and applied but I think if it happened again with other shoes I'd be back to square one. Ideally i was thinking what is there was some rubber or plastic I could put on top of this. Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sounds like plastidip. Is the bike new or did you buy it used? There are a lot of folks on here who have used plastidip on chrome parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can take it off, there isnt anything behind it. Its a fake cover, took all my chrome engine parts off and painted them black. Repaint it or put some black vinyl would be my best guess. Plasti dip will rub off easy but I think where I painted mine hasnt so much as a scuff yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can take it off, there isnt anything behind it. Its a fake cover, took all my chrome engine parts off and painted them black. Repaint it or put some black vinyl would be my best guess. Plasti dip will rub off easy but I think where I painted mine hasnt so much as a scuff yet.
There are 6 screws holding it in place. Are you serious when you say take it off, there is nothing behind it? It seems like it would be holding something in. Cuz I will totally pull it off, i just don't want to be trolled and end up dumping all my oil on the ground or whatever. Please tell me ur serious.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You are not being trolled, there is nothing under that cover.
Safe to remove without any issues of losing any oil or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks idkorcare for the suggestion and thanks RustyJake for the confirmation! I read somewhere that these covers are the same size as the Vstar 1300 covers. Can anyone confirm? And from what I gather the covers on both sides are different somehow, The OEM cover on the left is twice the price as the cover on the right. Is the one on the right plastic?

I just realized this post is in the completly wrong section. I didnt realize this sub forum was for reviews, thought it was just "Stryker Parts / Accesorries". Sorry. LOL Accessories is spelt wrong, never noticed that before.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Can't confirm if they are the same as the Vstar 1300. They are all plastic covers, and are definitely different on both sides.
You can easily paint the one you have, no need to replace. I've painted over the plastic chrome on mine and have plasti-dip on the top of the motor covers.

If you want metal covers you can get replacements, but I don't see a reason to do that unless you are looking at having something engraved on them.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Oddly the black covers on the bullet cowl models cost more than the chrome ones on other models. Like everyone said, I'd try painting them to match or use plasti-dip.
Depends on the bike and the look you are after but I also thought black crinkle paint over the chrome cover might look cool...
When and if any of them fail, you can always take them down to bare plastic and start over. Bonus is that you can ride without them. Bike looks a little funny(like without exhaust shields why those are being repainted but you don't have to miss a planned ride...)

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are 6 screws holding it in place. Are you serious when you say take it off, there is nothing behind it? It seems like it would be holding something in. Cuz I will totally pull it off, i just don't want to be trolled and end up dumping all my oil on the ground or whatever. Please tell me ur serious.
all of the normally chrome engine pieces on both sides are just chrome plated plastic. I took all mine off, scratched up the chrome with some 1500 grit and painted them all flat black and its stood up fairly well. The one thing I painted with plasti-dip (forks) got accidently rubbed and peeled it right off and now I have to go thru alot more work to fix it.

FWIW if you look on ebay you can find several stryker engines for sale with pics and they normally have all the covers taken off. I think the only one that really had any purpose other than looks is the belt guard, all of the rest are purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so I finally fixed my cover and here's how...

I bought some factory effex wrap normally used on super motos, I got it from a local store that sells motorcycle accessories (Holeshot Motorsports). Simply I took the cap off as suggested (really easy) and I traced the shape with paper, retraced it onto the back of the wrap and then cut it. I then pealed and stuck it on. Looks brand new and the vynal covering is thicker than what was on there so I know it's going to last longer. The cover cost me $23 CAN and 30 minutes of time.

Before and after...

The process...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts