Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Issues with the Cobra FI2000 CVT PowerPro Fuel Tuner (Not the Power Commander)

45K views 75 replies 33 participants last post by  poorboy Harleys 
#1 ·
I think some clarification on the Cobra FI2000R PowerPro Fuel Tuner is in order. ONLY if you have this fuel tuner installed, answer these questions:

What issues have you had with this tuner?

What mods do you have?

Did the issue get fixed?

Do you regret getting it?

Since reading through this forum, I have discovered there is confusion on this tuner. This may help those of us who have or going to get it.

Thanks you guys!

#2 ·
Re: Issues with the Cobra FI2000R PowerPro Fuel Tuner (Not the Power Commander)

The only issue I've had with this tuner was the fact that the low speed chugging, that seems to be common with this bike, was not immediately fixed. I expected that to go away as soon as I put the tuner on. With a little tuning on the 1st pod, however, it is running pretty good and I have no complaints. I'm running the Cobra Swept exhaust and a spike air intake. I'd get it again.

#76 ·

The only issue I've had with this tuner was the fact that the low speed chugging, that seems to be common with this bike, was not immediately fixed. I expected that to go away as soon as I put the tuner on. With a little tuning on the 1st pod, however, it is running pretty good and I have no complaints. I'm running the Cobra Swept exhaust and a spike air intake. I'd get it again.

what bike where you running this tuner on because I am dealing with that same problem myself....?

#3 ·

I think some clarification on the Cobra FI2000R PowerPro Fuel Tuner is in order. ONLY if you have this fuel tuner installed, answer these questions:
Consistent backfiring on decel at speeds higher than 50 mph and the bike misses when cruising in second gear at ~25 mph.

What mods do you have?
V&H Twin Slash Staggered Exhaust

Did the issue get fixed?
Not yet, just installed in Thursday. Gonna call Cobra today

Not yet. Hope there is a solution that doesn't involve returning the PowerPro.

#4 ·

midlifecrisis said:
Consistent backfiring on decel at speeds higher than 50 mph and the bike misses when cruising in second gear at ~25 mph.

What mods do you have?
V&H Twin Slash Staggered Exhaust

Did the issue get fixed?
Not yet, just installed in Thursday. Gonna call Cobra today

Not yet. Hope there is a solution that doesn't involve returning the PowerPro.
Just in case you haven't followed my thread - I've got the same pipes and the same issues, and Cobra has replaced the unit entirely and it did no good at all. Still has the exact same issues. Starting to look like design flaw to me.

#5 ·

I'm not sure that we are all talking about the same tuner. The Fi2000R is not the auto tune model. The Fi2000R has three set screw type settings (pods) that when manually adjusted change the way the bike runs. If I'm wrong I apologize, but I just wanted to make sure that we are all on the same page :)

#7 ·

Fujums said:
I'm not sure that we are all talking about the same tuner. The Fi2000R is not the auto tune model. The Fi2000R has three set screw type settings (pods) that when manually adjusted change the way the bike runs. If I'm wrong I apologize, but I just wanted to make sure that we are all on the same page :)
You are correct... the "R" should have been left off... but the "PowerPro" kinda gives it away... I should have added "CVT" to better clarify. Thanks for catching that!

Dave

#10 ·
StrykenShane said:
just finished the install of the auto tuner and Cobra air intake, holy crap! very noticeable power gain and low range torque. mmediately took out chugging and what appears to be occasional misfires, put 60 miles on it this morning, i love this upgrade!
Nice StykenShane, I have the same setup just in chrome, Cobra Swepts, Cobra PowerFlo intake and the PowerPro Autotune and love what the power mod has done to my bike, I might get a pop every once in a while but no issues like others have seen using the Vance & Hines and other intakes. Then again since the whole package is cobra, I really would not expect to see issues and one of the main reasons I went this route.

#11 ·
I have the Cobra Swept Exhaust with the Fi2000 (the one with 3 pots that can be tuned) With the Cobra settings of 2-5-5 I had a lot of backfire and chugging on 1st gear almost like it was going to die at any moment. Iv'e adjusted the green pot little by little like the manual says and now I am at 6-5-5. The bike runs better on these settings but I still get a pop on deceleration between 37-43 mph on 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th gears but nothing like when it was at the factory settings.

My question is: If the Cobra factory settings for the Fi2000 are 2-5-5 for the Stryker with a full exhaust, why did I have to adjust the first pot from 2 all the way to 6?

#12 ·
Bozzly said:
StrykenShane said:
just finished the install of the auto tuner and Cobra air intake, holy crap! very noticeable power gain and low range torque. mmediately took out chugging and what appears to be occasional misfires, put 60 miles on it this morning, i love this upgrade!
Nice StykenShane, I have the same setup just in chrome, Cobra Swepts, Cobra PowerFlo intake and the PowerPro Autotune and love what the power mod has done to my bike, I might get a pop every once in a while but no issues like others have seen using the Vance & Hines and other intakes. Then again since the whole package is cobra, I really would not expect to see issues and one of the main reasons I went this route.
Same here, waited awhile to see the feedback on the tuner and intake, your post was the main reason I did this

#13 ·
StrykenShane said:
Bozzly said:
StrykenShane said:
Same here, waited awhile to see the feedback on the tuner and intake, your post was the main reason I did this
Glad I was able to help and even happier that you got good results as I have with this setup.

#14 ·
Stryk-ED said:
I have the Cobra Swept Exhaust with the Fi2000 (the one with 3 pots that can be tuned) With the Cobra settings of 2-5-5 I had a lot of backfire and chugging on 1st gear almost like it was going to die at any moment. Iv'e adjusted the green pot little by little like the manual says and now I am at 6-5-5. The bike runs better on these settings but I still get a pop on deceleration between 37-43 mph on 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th gears but nothing like when it was at the factory settings.

My question is: If the Cobra factory settings for the Fi2000 are 2-5-5 for the Stryker with a full exhaust, why did I have to adjust the first pot from 2 all the way to 6?
There is another thread about this processor, oh I see you already found it.. ;)

#15 ·
Bozzly said:
Stryk-ED said:

There is another thread about this processor, oh I see you already found it.. ;)
Yeah I was confused about the different processors....thanks

#19 ·
I am having the same backfire issues with the same V & H pipes and cobra auto tuner.
A large percentage of problems appear to be on bikes with Vance and Hines pipes.
I don't think the processor likes them???
I had a few issues with my cobra processor, cobra power flow intake, and cobra swept pipes
The pipes have a cross-over between them with only one O2 sensor but cobra even said (Over the phone) to disconnect the sensor all together.
The other problem was caused by me being cheap and not replacing the gaskets when I installed the pipes which caused a "Hiccup" at speed when neither on or off the throttle.
That's it.
The biggest solution PERIOD for the low speed "chugging" is to replace the 31 tooth front pulley with the 30 tooth front pulley off the Vstar 1300... No more chugging

#20 ·
I have the cobra auto tuner, cobra intake and vance and hince big radius 2/2 exhaust. When I'm riding at highway speeds up to 80 mph it runs fine but it seems like once I hit 80 mph it has a hick up and a slight delay of power to the bike but picks right back up. Any ideas what's causing this problem?

I haven't pushed it to much farther for an extended period of time for the slight fear of the highway patrol and a speeding ticket.

#21 ·
Ok so I have the Fi2000 CVT. I haven't used it yet and after reading all the posts, would it be better if I returned it and got something else? Im up to Any suggestions

#23 ·
I have V&H twin slash and cobra power flow intake. I haven't put any mods on yet due to Uncle Sam's timing :(

#24 ·
In my opinion ... the cobra auto tuner just does not like V&H exhaust's.. especially the twin slash...

Now there will be exceptions to this, and you may be one of the lucky ones and have no problems..

But if you can get a full refund on it, i'd either replace the tuner or exhaust. your choice. If you replace the tuner, ppl have had better luck with the ejk's or similar... that or if you really want it dialed in... don't mess around and just get the PCV and have it dyno tuned.

me... I'm switching out my V&H's for Cobra's tri-pro 2-1 system... *shrugs* I won't know if that works out or not for a few more weeks or so, since I'm rebuilding my bike.

#25 ·
I have the twin slashed pipes as well as the Fi2000 PowerPro. I have some popping on decel, but it is a good thing as far as I know. I know that when it comes to tuning a car (my 04 STi for example) a backfiring on decel means that you are getting proper fuel to the engine and that you are running near perfect air/fuel. The only 'issue' I have with my setup is a slight miss in 2nd gear at minimal throttle... just a little hiccup so to speak. Other than that I love the setup.

#26 ·
I tried disconnecting my o2 sensor and it ran great for a while, no low speed chugging at all with the v&h twins.. then one day it just started dieing at lights. wouldn't idle at all, plugged it back in a it worked again.. anybody had that issue? I have gotten use to the chugging now but still would really like to get it fixed properly.. Cobra says its the pulley but ive had mine for a while now so probably can't send it back. bought it in april

#27 ·
Keep in mind, you can still open up the cobra power pro autotuner and adjust it leaner or richer. I posted the directions here somewhere.
That might help your situation of dying at stops???
Even though it is an autotuner I'm going to get my bike Dynoed when I can afford some fun money (Life ain't too fun right now) and get it dialed in for good!

#28 ·
so does that change how much it adjusts? I like my mpg with the o2 in cause without it ended dropping to around 30 which is worse than my car lol... I could try to adjust it slightly richer to see if the chugging stops.. again I have gotten use to it so don't want to spend money on another tuner or pipes(unless someone wants to trade locally) but I would still like the chug to go away and not have to worry about it in traffic

#29 · (Edited)
I would do the same, (adjust it richer) I haven't yet but I might just to try it to get more out of it.
The light inside will be solid when you open the unit but if you turn it richer the light will flash slow, when you turn it leaner the light will flash faster so I'm told by Cobra.
It seems almost everyone's problems lead me to believe they are all running just a bit lean which is why they run better when you disconnect the O2 sensor.

And No, It does not change how much it adjusts, just the baseline from which it adjusts from.

BTW, MOST of your chugging is caused by the trans being geared higher than you think it should be so you lug it when going slow around town. The only fix is to re-gear and install a 30 tooth pulley.
80% of the chugging disappeared when I re geared mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.