Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Just laid her down for the 1st time!!!!

5K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  souljaboi6 
#1 ·
So, here in Kansas we are having awesome riding weather. I rode to Cheney Lake on this beautiful Friday, and I guess I got caught up in the sight seeing. I stopped, left signal, notice sand on the ground, proceeded slowly, and BAM, my rear tire got out from under me on the right, I thought I corrected, but next thing I know I was airborne (only for a few miniseconds) and my baby was eating gravel and dirt.

BLUF (Army talk: Bottom Line Up Front), at only 359 miles, I have a dent in my gas tank on the right side, couple of Kruger scratches on my pipes, and I had to ride home with my right rear/side view pointing to the ground. Disappointed because I didn't get my 400 miles today. Trying to get that 600 service before the true winter weather hits the Flatlands.

The dent in the gas tank looks like someone threw a junk of road at it and the metal's showing, but thank God, no puncture. Any advise and suggestions of the most economical way to repair it. I have no tools or experience in body/paint work.

Tanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
Sorry to hear you laid her down today. Hope only your pride was the only thing injured. I too took advantage of the 70 degrees today in North Texas and had a great ride. Just rolled over 600 miles. Good luck on getting your bike back to normal.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that but glad you are ok. I hope when you say you laid it down for the first time don't mean you plan on doing it a 2nd or 3rd time :eek:

#12 ·
Sorry to hear you laid your bike down but glad to hear pride and a tank are the only issues ... and that is just the reason we don't ride here before the streets are swept. No matter how careful you are, the gravel can bite back.

#13 ·
@Dreadly: That's what I've heard. I just keep trying to replay it in my head to figure how the heck it happened so I can avoid it the next time I'm on a sandy/gravel patch. Guess it'll be a head scratcher for me for awhile. I've only been riding since November and have felt pretty confident until this. Not to mention I'm one of the types that have to play something out until I get it. I'm almost leaning towards going back out there today and attempting the turn a few more times until I can do it without thinking about it, but I don't know if that's a good idea either because I don't want another dent to match the one I already have. Guess I just feel like that corner has my name on it from whooping me and my bike...lol Silly, huh?

#14 ·
That is a good idea. Like reconstructing an accident scene and making determination of contributing factors. Oops sorry, the Police Officer coming back out. Except I was one of the cool cops.

#16 ·
SFCMcGan said:
a thousand things can go right... but just 1 thing needs to go wrong! sand and gravel cause the most stupid accidents. Glad to hear you are OK... think of it like this... your bike wanted you to Mod it... it was just letting you know!
lol ... that's taking a positive from the situation.

#17 ·
souljaboi6 said:
Another angle...
Now would be a good time to remove the decals from the tank if you want. If you are familiar with painting and can't afford a paint job you can get rattle cans with good enough tips to do a good job. And or practice a bit on metal surfaces first. Drain the gas remove the tank and go for it. Bondo is cheep. When we bough the old Virago it had a dent in the side and was pretty beat up. So I rattle caned it and the wife hand painted a metallic gold Pegasus on both sides. Then I clear coated it with a rattle can. Here is some before and afters.

#18 ·
Toby said:
souljaboi6 said:
Another angle...
Now would be a good time to remove the decals from the tank if you want. If you are familiar with painting and can't afford a paint job you can get rattle cans with good enough tips to do a good job. And or practice a bit on metal surfaces first. Drain the gas remove the tank and go for it. Bondo is cheep. When we bough the old Virago it had a dent in the side and was pretty beat up. So I rattle caned it and the wife hand painted a metallic gold Pegasus on both sides. Then I clear coated it with a rattle can. Here is some before and afters.
Yes and I think my wife laid her V Star down on purpose because she wants a custom paint job on that bike too. we now have an air brush. lol.

#19 ·
Toby said:
That is a great paint job Toby - rattle can or not

#22 ·
@FormerFuzz: 10-4, I did my own 10-47 investigation minus the dispatch, case number, and cop jokes...lol We're the best at razz each other.

@SFCMcGan: What's funny, but my deductible, is I took her to the shop and they recommended that I change out the tank and the pipes - mod it. Don't know if I can get the replacement without the undercoat stickers on it, but will definitely ask. Now is the time to start looking at new pipes... I'm thing the Vance and Hines Twin Staggered in Black, and ensure that I don't let the scenery get my mind (and eyes) off of the ground (eventhough there ain't no discharge on it...lol)

UPDATE!!! I went back there today, took pix of my skid and dump, then punched that curb in the face TWICE!!! So, now I know (or at least think I know) how to negotiate a left and right turn on uneven and multiple gravel surfaces over concrete... Thanks Guys!

#23 ·
Toby said:
souljaboi6 said:
Another angle...
Thanks for the idea, I think I'm gonna put that in the memory bank and use it once the Stryker is a lil' older, if needed. I just don't feel competent and comfortable enough to disengage the tank, even after reading and viewing the threads. Thanks again for the pix.

#24 ·
When I started riding in 1965...yes people had motorcyles back then...I spent a lot of time on the ground....it is a learning process...going to revisit the site is a good idea but before you go try to figure out what went wrong the first time i.e. - too much throttle - too much lean....you were making a left turn from the stop but dropped the bike on the right side...normally in that situation the bike should have spun out to the right, having you drop the bike on the left side unless you grabbed the front brake causing you to go as you said airbourne plus it would have caused you to drop the bike on the right side......ok I wasn't there and am probably totally wrong.................plus I've had way toooooooo much tequilla....I'm glad the damage was minimal and you didn't hurt anything but your pride.

#25 ·
ROADKILL said:
.................plus I've had way toooooooo much tequilla....I'm glad the damage was minimal and you didn't hurt anything but your pride.
Just so we have an understanding for June - you and the missus can drink tequila - I want NO part of that ;D

#26 ·
dreadly said:
ROADKILL said:
.................plus I've had way toooooooo much tequilla....I'm glad the damage was minimal and you didn't hurt anything but your pride.
Just so we have an understanding for June - you and the missus can drink tequila - I want NO part of that ;D
Oh great DREADED ONE thou not hijackest the thread about June.....Ok if you didn't I will....West Central Raider Rally in Leads SD June 8-10....Western Area Raider Rally - June 15 - 17 Reno NV........All Strykers are welcome to join us at either or both...Toby I hope to see you around Lake Tahoe for the WARR rally... :D....and of course the South East Raider Rally in Maggie Valley NC Aug 1-5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.