Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first day I bought the stryker the salesman told me he took care of everything. Well 15 minutes later I was stuck on the side of a major road cause the gas tank was empty. You could imagine how pissed I was but now I brought the bike to the shop cause the low fuel indicator light never came on. The have had the bike 3 days now and have had no solutions to the problem. They are closed tomorrow and told me they have to ask yamaha directly of an issue that they might not be capable of finding with their basic diagnosis.

Does anyone else have an experience with the light not coming on?

Also does anyone have any possible ideas to what the problem could be?

On a side note. The light DOES come on during the test phase before the bike is started and they have the tank off and have checked the sensor inside..

· Registered
674 Posts
On my 2012 I've had the fuel level gauge automatically pop up at the 1/4 mark, but I have yet to have my light come on. Which makes me a little nervous to really push it without knowing for sure that it will come on...

· Registered
51 Posts
if they cant figure out the problem in 10 mins on thisbike then i wouldnt trust them to fis a wooden spoon theres only 3 parts in the system the sender, a wire and the instrument cluster. if the sender and wires are good it needs a cluster.

· Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, it's a really simple system. Sounds to me like they just need to replace the sensor if they can force a signal and everything else works. Either way, it should be a really easy problem to identify.

BUT, if they said they tested everything and everything works... well, maybe it's something else. I hesitate to call anyone incompetent if I don't have my hands on the problem.

My low fuel light usually comes on at about 130 miles or less if I'm pushing it.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope your right Recoil.. They said they checked everything and I just have to take them at there word. I cant stand the fact that they are closed today. I wanted my bike for the weekend and its going on 5 days now.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I would say to simply fill the tank. Obviously they only gave you about 50¢ worth of gas. Dumbasses could've should've told you. The bike has never had fuel in it so the float has never moved. Yes the light should have been on when you left the dealer, but I'll bet it needs to get lubed, registered, reset or whatever by just adding fuel to get it moving.

Did I explain that OK? :-\

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nate.. I actually drove the bike the 600 miles till the first service. Now that it is being serviced I had them look at the light. The gas gauge worked fine when i filled the tank the 4 or 5 times I did just the light never came on and I never saw trip F either. Im hoping they have answeres for me when i call in a bit

· Registered
968 Posts
I had mine come on ounce when I was close to home, light then trip f. I figured I'll just fill it up at the start of my next trip? Well by my next ride, I had forgotten about it. When I started the bike it came up normal, but low, so I took off. Ended up running out of gas, filled her up and no problems, but I wouldn't always trust the light. They call them idiot lights for a reason, your suposed to fill up before you get THAT low. I'm not picking on you I run mine low alot, sooner or later your gonna be pushing!

· Registered
200 Posts
I now know what I get before the warning and what I get once the light comes on.... I reset a trip each time I fill up. I have never ran out, but I came close on Monday while setting a personal best on the highway.... Had .4 of a liter left, lol

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only reason I ran out of gas was because I just got the bike and the salesman told me it was full. I saw the fuel gauge but why would I think that meant empty when he said it was taken care of. I will never run out of gas again but I also want my bike to be in full working condition. So I still wait for it to be fixed. They told me they ordered a new meter and they are waiting to receive it.

· Registered
51 Posts
if the terminals in the connectors are backed out or not fully contacting it can cause a problem, been there done that "with cars and trucks" alot. also if a wire is shorted to ground then an ohmes test wont reveal it from connector to connector. i highly doubt the cluster itself is the problem but anythings possible.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Freqnlodown... Its not that I believed the salesman over the gauge.. its that when he told me the fuel was full, the gauge said full to a person that didnt know what they were looking at. Not to mention I toggled thru the options so many times that I never even kept it on the fuel gauge. Why would I?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update on my fuel indicator light situation. Wednesday the 29th will be 4 weeks that my bike is at the shop for this issue. they order a new gauge cluster and told me it wasnt the problem. Now they are installing the harness and im waiting to hear if it is fixed. Not a happy customer right now considering I lost a month of riding time... They also told me they cant take money off the 600 mile maintenance cause yamaha requires it.. I laughed at the guy and told him that discussion will be taking place with his supervisor and/or the owner of the store.. what a joke!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.