Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, Ordered a Commander II 240 40 rz-18 79v for my Stryker.
Revzila has them in stock for $207.00 plus $5 surcharge and free delivery.

The E3 I put on has 1,000 miles on it and is showing signs of wear already and my wife's bike with the C II same miles looks brand new.

Not sure when I'm going to change it yet. I still have a few miles left on my front tire and probably will wait until I can afford the C II for the front and change them at the same time. Not sure what to do with the E3?
I will take pics in a manner that shows the wear if I can. It's very little but is noticeable.

· Registered
2013 Yamaha Stryker Red
25 Posts
Awesome.

That is great news! I am looking forward to getting these on my bike. I just got a brand new Stryker yesterday. However, I am a huge fan of Michelin Commander IIs! Reviews on Dunlop are they wear fast. Keep us posted!

8,695 Posts
That is great news! I am looking forward to getting these on my bike. I just got a brand new Stryker yesterday. However, I am a huge fan of Michelin Commander IIs! Reviews on Dunlop are they wear fast. Keep us posted!
Welcome to the Froum!

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tires are coming of next week. I just ordered the C II for the front today. So some time next week I will post pics of the new ones on the bike and the E 3 and amount of miles.:thumb: Actually more like two weeks

· Registered
551 Posts
Tires are coming of next week. I just ordered the C II for the front today. So some time next week I will post pics of the new ones on the bike and the E 3 and amount of miles.:thumb: Actually more like two weeks

I'm getting one put on this Wednesday! I've been waiting for this tire for 8 weeks - ever since I picked up that stupid nail!

· Registered
551 Posts
Did you mount your new tire yet? I'm very curious to hear what you have to say about it! I'll post photos later tonight.

So far, I'm not comfortable putting the lower belt guard back on with the Commander II installed. Still seeing how it rides!

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you mount your new tire yet? I'm very curious to hear what you have to say about it! I'll post photos later tonight.

So far, I'm not comfortable putting the lower belt guard back on the Commander II installed. Still seeing how it rides!
I have the tires, have an app. to have them mounted on the 21st. Gona leave it lowered 1" as I plan on some 2 up riding. Already have a small carved spot on the lower belt guard. Wont leave guards off because I ride on gravel a lot.

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ME 880 Marathon is the preferred tire in this area and a lot of others. They are not a high mileage tire but superior to others in handling in all conditions. Where as most tires are designed for one type of road and riding style or another.
On my research of tires I found that they get a consistent average mileage all over the country where others can very drastically.
This average is 6k on rears and 10k on fronts. Of course on perfect conditions they get a lot more.
My circumstances are on the extreme side of ruff twisties and I wear tires out faster than almost anyone anywhere else, and I'm not unique to this area.
I wore out a 240 880 in 4,850 miles. and on the 950 7k on the rear. This is 25% to 35% more miles than on other brands on all bikes up here that we have used. The one brand I haven't tried is Avon because they are said to not do well up here, but other areas they ARE tire of choice.
The main reason Metzler is an all condition high performance tire is they have a patent design, a 3 belt system that is independent of each other that allows each side to separate from the center belt which allows more patch to surface contact in corners than any other brand that I'm aware of. I can really tell the difference.
My quest for a higher mile tire led me to the Michelin Commander II. They claim double the miles of their competitors.
So far I have found only one person that has gone the miles on a C II on a Road Liner and didn't get the miles he thought he would.
I have put a C II on the 950 2k miles ago and it shows now wear at all, where as an E3 on my Stryker same miles is cupping already, as expected.
I have an app on the 21st to have C II put on front and rear of my Stryker.
Metzler has come out with a tire to compete with the Michelin C II, Marathon ME 888 Ultra, however not available in a low profile tire yet.
Let me ad I think the 880 looks really good on the Sryker.

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I've put some 300 miles on the C II s now, 200 of that 2 up riding through the mountains over gravel and on the open HWY etc. To me it's a far superior tire to the E3 in that it stands up in corners similar to the ME 880, as I prefer this feeling as opposed to the deeper lean angle the E3 requires to manipulate cornering. Definitely a better feeling with 2 up riding and the front tire is really responsive.
Judging by the wear, or lack of, on the C II on the 950 at 2,000+ miles, I'm pretty confident I will get much better mileage than even the Metz. did. But that remains to be seen.
As for the E3 at 2,000+ miles it was showing cupping on the side treads and in the center 50% to the wear bars. Don't think I would have got another 2,000 miles on these roads. The mechanic that changed the tires was surprised to see that much wear at 2,000 miles. So ya, IMO, the E3 is not worth giving away just for the cost of shipping and mounting unless someone is in desperate need of a tire and can't afford a new one.
The 950 now has C II s front and rear.

On another note, the 950 got a 16,000 mile full service. Total cost $360.00 minus an air filter but including front tire change, spark plugs, valve adjustment, oil change with filter, brake fluid change, full safety check, belt and cable adj. All bearings check and packed if needed including forks and steering. Throttle body sync. Basically everything our Strykers require at the 16k full service minus coolant change.
Mechanic commented on the high quality of parts and design Star used in the 950 and I can only assume he will say the same when he services my Stryker in the future.:wink:

Instead of starting a new thread on the subject of the 950, just post any comments or questions here and I will respond.

Another important thing is the belt tension on these bikes should be checked often because they seem to get loose easily. Both the 950 and the Stryker were very loose at only a little over 2,000 miles after having the rear tires changed. Also, it is imperative that they are done at Yamaha spec because that's tighter than most others.
Some guys that are experiencing too much lash or hesitation or surging may be just a loose belt.

· Registered
9 Posts
Great review Toby, your information made my choice easy. Pulled the trigger on a Commander II and can't wait to get it installed.

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great review Toby, your information made my choice easy. Pulled the trigger on a Commander II and can't wait to get it installed.
Good deal. You are going to love it. I've put some more miles on them now and they impress my every time I ride, just like the Stryker impressed me every time a rode it the first year, It's like having a new bike all over again.:D

· Registered
437 Posts
Good deal. You are going to love it. I've put some more miles on them now and they impress my every time I ride, just like the Stryker impressed me every time a rode it the first year, It's like having a new bike all over again.:D
I stopped by an independent bike shop today to look around and they had a used Commander II on display that a Dyna Glide had put 17,500 miles on. Color me impressed.

· Registered
551 Posts
Toby, I have found your comments about the lashing / surging to be completely true. My bike is completely stock except for the new Michelin CII 240. Once that tire was installed and the belt properly tensioned, ALL of the surging and whatnot went away. I have a 30 tooth pully, but now I'm not sure I'll use it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
6,785 Posts
Toby, I have found your comments about the lashing / surging to be completely true. My bike is completely stock except for the new Michelin CII 240. Once that tire was installed and the belt properly tensioned, ALL of the surging and whatnot went away. I have a 30 tooth pully, but now I'm not sure I'll use it!

What? Sell the 30 tooth pulley Axorr!

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

My mechanic said that 90% of the issues guys come in with are fixed by simply tightening the belt. He said if he wasn't an honest guy he could get rich off unnecessary expensive repairs.

The thing about the 30 tooth pulley is it can improve the performance for certain riding scenarios, like slow speed, but it wont fix any existing problems.
Also I've come to realize that the comment from one of the professional techs from Cobra or V&H? or?, that changing the gear ratio, via the pulley, effects the F/A ratio. I like others disbelieve this thinking a mechanical change couldn't effect fuel processing. However I have come to understand more about the EFI systems on these bikes and find it possible. By changing the gear ratio changes the rpm which effects the load, the signal from the load sensor to the ECU is changed along with multiple other sensors. That doesn't mean it's good or bad . SOOO.. who are we to question what professionals say. :wink:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.