Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Need help for a few upgrades before summer

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  UrbanRage 
#1 ·
I want to correct the backfiring on my exhaust before this summer, anyone have any suggestions? Does a fuel programmer fix this? I removed my baffles from the cobra pipes, but I have considered putting them back in because of the backfire

Does anyone know of good signals to put on the rear? I want to just leave the brake light up and take the ugly turn signals off

Any suggestions on air intakes? Any certain better than another performance wise?

Thanks for your help guys!!

#2 ·
You probably need new gaskets at headpipe to cylinders. Sounds like it is drawing fresh air there now which will cause backfire.

#4 ·
When it comes to intakes its just preference on style and looks you could improve the intake by just replacing the stock air filter with one from k&n or replace it with a style you like cobra or l&m.
When it comes to lights if a car hits a motorcycle the first thing they say is "i never saw him" so with that being said i change my stock lights for LEDS i think we have to take some action to help by making ourselves be seen. I like the look of the LED bars some have put on the back of their bikes but i am not sure how much the driver behind me could tell the difference on what i was about to do meaning the lights are so close together.

#5 ·
Roger said:
When it comes to intakes its just preference on style and looks you could improve the intake by just replacing the stock air filter with one from k&n or replace it with a style you like cobra or l&m.
When it comes to lights if a car hits a motorcycle the first thing they say is "i never saw him" so with that being said i change my stock lights for LEDS i think we have to take some action to help by making ourselves be seen. I like the look of the LED bars some have put on the back of their bikes but i am not sure how much the driver behind me could tell the difference on what i was about to do meaning the lights are so close together.
Agreed, make sure the lights can be seen in the day time. Some have reported not as bright as expected when seen from behind. I too like them but have seen a few here that are not bright enough for me. I am sure there are many kits that are, just something to ask about when buying an LED kit.

#6 ·
Dohduh said:
I want to correct the backfiring on my exhaust before this summer, anyone have any suggestions? Does a fuel programmer fix this? I removed my baffles from the cobra pipes, but I have considered putting them back in because of the backfire

Does anyone know of good signals to put on the rear? I want to just leave the brake light up and take the ugly turn signals off

Any suggestions on air intakes? Any certain better than another performance wise?

Thanks for your help guys!!
The bike always has some sort of decel popping... it is just more prominate without baffles.... if it is real bad... either your header is not properly seated, or your copper gasket is bad, or the bolts are loose (which is going back to the not properly seated). A tuner will help greatly in this area... but not totally eliminate it...

As far as tail lights... we already have a pretty bright LED one.... I like the R1 tailight Mod... it has integrated signals and really cleans up the rear.

Personally... I have the Black Cobra Powerflo... looks nice, knee doesn't touch it when riding... great air flow... love the sound of it suckin' air when you get on the throttle.. and it comes with a K&N filter.

Since you already have an exhaust... a tuner will become very important if you put on an aftermarket intake.... our bike come extremely lean from the factory... replacing both intake and exhaust will cause an even leaner condition, you will run the risk of overheating. the tuner will richen your air/fuel mix and boost performance. because it is richening your A/F mix... your MPG's will go down.

#7 ·
dreadly said:
Roger said:
Agreed, make sure the lights can be seen in the day time. Some have reported not as bright as expected when seen from behind. I too like them but have seen a few here that are not bright enough for me. I am sure there are many kits that are, just something to ask about when buying an LED kit.
Yeap, that is correct! I love my LED bar but my friends were complaining about it not being visible on a nice shinny sunny Texas day, so I had to improvise to get someone attention. Check out my pictures!

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! So as far as the gaskets, is that an easy fix? I had the pipes put on by a motorcycle mechanic, should I just bring it back to him ask him to fix it? The exhaust and air filter part I am clueless about. I am better in the electronic department.

#13 ·
Dohduh said:
UrbanRage, Thanks! Those LED lights look a bit difficult to hook up.....
Not at all. If you have a basic understanding of wiring it will be a breeze. The directions are good and there is enough us on here that can help you. I won't be able to look at my bike, becuase I am currently deployed. If you ask questions I am sure you will get an answer from me or someone else on here. The people on this forum are awesome about helping others. You will never learn if you don't try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.