Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Saturday I trailered my 2014 stryker and my wife's 2015 bolt 600 miles to GSMNP. Took the bikes off the trailer ran down to Pigeon forge fueled the bikes then went back to the cabin and waited for the rest of our group to arrive.

Got up Sunday morning August 5 we set out to ride The Tail of The Dragon. We made 2 passes on the tail and headed back to the cabin. 1/2 way back to the cabin my stryker started to act like it was running out of fuel,gauge was showing 2 segments. I pulled into the Exxon station filled the tank and the bike would not restart. Jumped on my wife’s bolt and ran back to get my truck and trailer, loaded the bikes up and let them sit for the remainder of my vacation.

Fast forward to today! I am home and it is time to fix the bike. I turn on the key , the lights on Speedo light up , the needle sweeps. I hit the starter button and it just cranks, turn off the key, turn it back on I do not hear the fuel pump run. Has anyone ran into this isssue? Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the fuel pump circuit they can share?

·
Registered
369 Posts
This morning my bike had a similar issue. It's a 2011 with stock battery. I turned the key and I got the needle sweep but no fuel pump. The battery is dead as a door nail. The battery is probably your issue. You could try to charge it but replacement is your best bet

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
815 Posts
Here is the diagrams requested:
This is what I would start with:
1- check that the petcock is open
2- check fuse
3- Cuss then ask for forgiveness
Continue on...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The fuel pump fuses are under a separate white cover. Make sure it did not blow. There is a spare next to it.

However, if blown then you need to figure out why. Fuses are really sturdy and generally don't blow for no reason...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for The wiring diagram. After running some voltage drop test I have determine that I lost the fuel pump.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
815 Posts
This is the fourth or fifth one I've heard of in past 6 months. Do you run with the gas light on frequently? Just trying to see if there is any patterns to this.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This is the fourth or fifth one I've heard of in past 6 months. Do you run with the gas light on frequently? Just trying to see if there is any patterns to this.
I've run down to the low fuel light and fuel count up many times since 2012.
Before people start on about the fuel cooling the fuel pump etc., there is plenty in there even when you are really low. Take a look at the whole assembly and keep in mind the fuel pump is in the middle of it displacing a lot of area. My guess is less than a quart but even at a quart you'd have to fill over 3.75 gallons to be even close to that... I think once I was down to 3.86 and that was cutting it too close. Generally I'm under 3 gallons at a fill up.

Raiders have had fuel pump problems but it is the housing that cracks and isn't available as a separate part.

Just turned over 36K and no issues for me and hoping it stays that way!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike is a 2014 with just over 14k. I have only ran it down To the light Twice . I think it may have just been a just a perfect storm of events that caused it to fail. Biggest factor I think was trailering it 600 miles with less then 1/4 tank of fuel. I hit quite a few bumps that brought a wheel of the trailer off the ground.

I am a ASE master certified heavy duty truck mechanic, when the new one comes in and I get time to change it I intend on takeing the failed one apart to determine the root cause of the failure. I will update the post with my findings.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
815 Posts
My bike is a 2014 with just over 14k. I have only ran it down To the light Twice . I think it may have just been a just a perfect storm of events that caused it to fail. Biggest factor I think was trailering it 600 miles with less then 1/4 tank of fuel. I hit quite a few bumps that brought a wheel of the trailer off the ground.

I am a ASE master certified heavy duty truck mechanic, when the new one comes in and I get time to change it I intend on takeing the failed one apart to determine the root cause of the failure. I will update the post with my findings.
Awesome!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I've seen the rubber diaphragm and hoses to the pump degrade because of Etahonl in gas. Just another thing to look into.
One guy who had your problem found chunks or black stuff (rubber) in the pump when he took his apart.
Yeah, just wait till E15 becomes the norm and finding E10 will be like trying to find pure gas now :(

And down the road when the pump is mixing everything from 10 to 85 and it all goes through the same hose who knows what we'll get at the beginning!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with an aftermarket pump Quantum fuels system it was $70 versus the $564 my local dealer wanted. It is just the pump not a complete sending unit. The new fuel pump fixed the problem, I took the bike for a ride what a difference it has the power just like it did when new. Looking back on it I think the fuel pump may of been going bad all season.

Since I had to disassemble the sending unit to replace the pump I looked into the cause of the failure.

My findings:
Pump was not locked up
No foreign material present
No signs of the pump over heating
The pump winding is open

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just replaced my fuel pump wit the Quantum one as well. The only thing I had trouble with was the Quantum pre-filter they had. The plastic bracket that came with the pre-filter didn't fit properly, so I had to cut a little of Quantum's clip fastener so it would fit over the pump and stock casing. When I comparred it against the stock pre-filter, I could see that the clips are off a little on Quantum pre-filter. The fuel pump, itself seem to be working well so far, but I just put in today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced my fuel pump wit the Quantum one as well. The only thing I had trouble with was the Quantum pre-filter they had. The plastic bracket that came with the pre-filter didn't fit properly, so I had to cut a little of Quantum's clip fastener so it would fit over the pump and stock casing. When I comparred it against the stock pre-filter, I could see that the clips are off a little on Quantum pre-filter. The fuel pump, itself seem to be working well so far, but I just put in today.
JKT do you happen to have the Quatntum part number? My fuel pump just died recently and no happy about retail price here in Canada on the OEM pump

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry about the delay. This is what's on my receipt:
Quantum Intank EFI Fuel Pump For Yamaha Stryker (XVS1300) 2010-2020
Item# HFP-387-X

Quatum's website is: https://www.highflowfuel.com/

Also, the pre-filter that comes with it; you'll have to mess around with the filter's bracket in order to get it to fit. I ordered other filters from them (just the filters), but as luck would have it, they didn't fit on the OEM stock filter bracket (the blue bracket). FYI. The stock filter does come off; I found that out by twisting it off. So, what I'll eventually do, is just buy one of the cheap OEM fuel pump and filter from eBay, then just use that filter and it's bracket. Hope that makes sense

1 - 17 of 17 Posts