Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! New to this thread and I'll be test riding a 2013 Stryker this Friday. From talking to the dealer and looking at the pictures, I know the bike has a cobra swept exhaust and a cobra powrflo air intake. From reading different threads on this site, I've learned that if you have an aftermarket exhaust and an intake you need to get either the ecu re mapped/flashed or get a fuel controller.

Would the dealer know if the ecu has been re mapped or if a fuel controller has been used? I'm not very familiar at all with ecu and fuel controller mods so I'm not sure if the dealer would know if those have been done or if I would I would be able to tell in person.

Any insight or advice in general would really be appreciated!! Hopefully everything goes well this weekend and I'll be a new Stryker owner :)

· Super Moderator
908 Posts
Hey there! Welcome from Vancouver Island!

If your bike has a flashed ECU from Ivan's (which almost everyone here has if they have a flashed one) it will have a big sticker on it that says so. It's pretty easy to take off the seat and pop it off and take a look. It looks like a black thing, slightly larger and flatter than a pack of cigarettes with a wiring harness plugged into it.

If you have a fuel controller, that will also be immediately visible to any mechanic. Usually it's velcro attached beside the battery. Look up a few to see what they look like. You'll notice right away if you have one. Chances are, if you have Cobra pipes, you will have a fuel controller. I don't even think you can run just the pipes without one.

I just yanked mine out today and tossed it as it was acting up after 7 years of running fine. I could just buy a new one, but with a flashed ECU you don't need one, and the bike runs great with Cobra pipes and filter. Getting Ivan's flash is the more reliable, simple and long term solution. You don't need a fuel tuner if you have his flash (but I kept mine in, just couldn't be bothered to yank it.)

Bottom line: If you have Cobra pipes, you will almost certainly have a fuel controller (probably the silver Fi2000 if it's a 2013). If you get Ivan's flash you don't need it anymore but can keep using it.

Hope that helps - enjoy your ride. It's a fantastic bike!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there! Welcome from Vancouver Island!

If your bike has a flashed ECU from Ivan's (which almost everyone here has if they have a flashed one) it will have a big sticker on it that says so. It's pretty easy to take off the seat and pop it off and take a look. It looks like a black thing, slightly larger and flatter than a pack of cigarettes with a wiring harness plugged into it.

If you have a fuel controller, that will also be immediately visible to any mechanic. Usually it's velcro attached beside the battery. Look up a few to see what they look like. You'll notice right away if you have one. Chances are, if you have Cobra pipes, you will have a fuel controller. I don't even think you can run just the pipes without one.

I just yanked mine out today and tossed it as it was acting up after 7 years of running fine. I could just buy a new one, but with a flashed ECU you don't need one, and the bike runs great with Cobra pipes and filter. Getting Ivan's flash is the more reliable, simple and long term solution. You don't need a fuel tuner if you have his flash (but I kept mine in, just couldn't be bothered to yank it.)

Bottom line: If you have Cobra pipes, you will almost certainly have a fuel controller (probably the silver Fi2000 if it's a 2013). If you get Ivan's flash you don't need it anymore but can keep using it.

Hope that helps - enjoy your ride. It's a fantastic bike!
Thank you for the insight!! Looking forward to my test ride tomorrow morning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.