Yamaha Star Stryker banner

New to everything

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  J4patrice 
Welcome from a brother in AF blue from Michigan. My Stryker was my first bike ever. I took my MSF course last year at the age of 38 and that was the first time I'd ever ridden a bike. I'd heard the Stryker was a little challenging because of the rake, but having nothing but a little Suzuki 250 from the course to compare it to it didn't seem that bad to me.

Like everyone else has said, ride within your comfort level. I started off in a school parking lot during the summer, worked up to subdivisions, and finally in traffic. This spring I took my first group ride of about 70 miles and felt very comfortable.

Just look out for everyone else, because they aren't looking out for you. I told my wife the first rule of driving is assuming that everyone around you is getting ready to do something incredibly stupid at all times....they usually are.

Hey, Go RED WINGS! Huge fan. Father is Canadian so hockey is in the blood :)

Working my way up to traffic is a great idea! Never thought to start the way you mentioned. I'm getting more excited about the Stryker now. Especially after hearing so many people say it's been a great first bike.

I'm glad that you are loving it. I worked in Law Enforcement before the Army and it's so true about "the first rule of driving". Always, always be on the lookout! How long did it take for you to get a really good feel for it? 600lbs is a fair amount of weight to handle for a beginner right :)
It came pretty quick. I had a lot of people tell me that if I got a 650 or 900 that I would want something bigger really quick. I don't have the cash to trade up every year, so I just went with a bigger bike. I don't act stupid and am a naturally conservative person, so I just took it slow. I do recommend finding someone safe and experienced to mentor you a little and don't let anyone talk you into doing something you aren't comfortable with.

Another thing we have in common is that I lost my dad to a car wreck when I was young. I think it just made be a better, more careful driver. Good luck with whatever you pick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.