Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking for opinions, if you only have $250.00 would you:
1) Upgrade Air Cleaner and Intake and drill pipes (do you need tuner if I do both)?
2) Upgrade to Cobra 4" Slip on?

Which will give me the best performance gains for the buck, since the idea of "SAVING" until I can do more appears to be right out the window!!! ;D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in the same boat as far as limited mod funds so I opted to remove baffles for now. Still wanting aftermarket pipes sometime soon though. Waiting on the performance air intake until I can get fuel programmer at the same time. So I guess I would recommend removing baffles and saving some pennies til you get some more funds and feel better about dropping the cash on more goodies.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought a Cobra PowrFlo intake and the tuner but haven't installed the tuner. The intake was very easy to install and you dont need any type of adapter like you would with a spike or cone style. My baffles are drilled as well. I can notice an increase in power and have seen no difference without the tuner installed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If I were you and I think I might be as I take a closer look at my bank account :'( I'd go with the air intake. Better performance, better looking then stock. The slip on is a cheap mod because you can't afford the full exhaust. My guess is when you do have the funds your going to get the exhaust you really want and be stuck trying to sell the slip on. The air intake is good from the go.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
From listening to the slip-on, and the looks, I would grab that.
Of course the airbox is a cool add-on and helps the engine breath better.
For now...........slip-on would be my choice. JMO
Then mod the stock air box so it will breath better for now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MY said:
If I were you and I think I might be as I take a closer look at my bank account :'( I'd go with the air intake. Better performance, better looking then stock. The slip on is a cheap mod because you can't afford the full exhaust. My guess is when you do have the funds your going to get the exhaust you really want and be stuck trying to sell the slip on. The air intake is good from the go.
HA! I can look at it all I want it will only make me cry! My youngest daughter just cost me 3 g's and I won't have it back any time soon. So that's why I'm limited. I actually like the slip on and I'm not a big fan of window rattling exhausts so when I go that route that will probably be the last one I get.

·
Registered
367 Posts
IMHO...If you go with the airbox then you will most likely need a fuel programmer. My experience and more that I've read here indicate that once you add more air then the fuel ratio goes out of whack(technical term ;D). I know it will take will power, but you can always save and then do what you really want with mods.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I went with exhaust first because I enjoy the sound so much more when riding. If you like the looks and sound of the slip on then why not.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
THIS:
If I were you and I think I might be as I take a closer look at my bank account I'd go with the air intake. Better performance, better looking then stock. The slip on is a cheap mod because you can't afford the full exhaust. My guess is when you do have the funds your going to get the exhaust you really want and be stuck trying to sell the slip on. The air intake is good from the go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts