Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Strykers (I have a 2011). I changed the oil in it the other day. Everywhere I've read (including the owners manual) says it takes 3.5 or so quarts of oil.

I ran the bike for 5 min
I leveled the bike and drained it with cap and filter off for about 15 min
Inserted the plug screw and new oil filter
Dumped 3 quarts in it

Glass showed over the limit. I ran the bike for a minut and while running the oil was at the correct level. Shut the bike off and again showed over filled.

Is this normal? I've never owned a bike with an oil light and no dipstick

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
When I change the oil it takes just under 4 quarts but I put in the full gallon.
Assuming you did it with a new oil filter(manual says every other time which is ludacris to me!!) and let it drain while warm and upright, manual says I believe 3.85 US quarts. Considering that .15 of a quart is 1.6oz I feel fine dumping the entire gallon in there. Stryker's can be temperamental on the oil level and set off the warning light when just a notch down. The good part is that you'd get a very early warning if anything ever went wrong but the bad side is the nuisance trips... The other reason for the gallon vs. 3.85 is that the full amount never comes out unless you have the patience of a god waiting for it to drip out of the container!! :)

hard to always tell but how much came out in the drain pan?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I too put in a full gallon. Get the bike nice and hot before changing the oil. Sit on the bike after the oil drains and straighten it up and rock it a bit. More oil comes out. I'm in Canada, and the manual says 3.6 litres of oil, but that leaves it quite low on the sight window, a full gallon fills it up perfectly.

Have also noticed that the oil gets a bit bubbly and reads high on the glass right after it stops running. Let it sit for a couple of minutes before checking the oil in the sight window.

Helps to have another person check it - have them sit on it and balance the bike while you take a look. Alternatively, sit on the bike and balance it then reach down and snap a pic of the sight window with your phone. If you just bend down and look at it, the bike tilts and the oil level changes immediately.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2014 Stryker
19 Posts
Do yourselves a favor fellas... Start using K&N oil filters (Part# KN-204-1) if your not already doing so... Yeah they're expensive but it's money VERY WELL spent and here's why...

All those "OEM" brand and style oil filters are complete garbage for motorcycles!

The oil is routed through and provides lubrication for the ENGINE and DRIVETRAIN which includes the friction discs in the clutch basket as well as all the gears in your transmission.. The flow rate of the K&N oil filters is 10x that of an "OEM" filter ESPECIALLY if you run 20W-50 in the warmer months (which I highly recommend but only with the KN-204-1 filter).. I guarantee you will notice significantly smoother shifting and increased power output while riding. It will also decrease any "chugging" under lower rpm and virtually eliminate any valve tick/tap you might have noticed when your sitting at a red light. The striker has a really cool system that actually sprays oil directly at the bottom of the Pistons in the engine which not only helps with the lubrication process but it also helps keep the engine cooler which reduces engine noise

AND...

The K&N filter has an "anti back flow valve" which prevents the oil that's in the upper cylinders from flowing back into the bottom of the engine when you shut the bike off. It's an extremely important feature because it's eliminates "dry starts" by keeping oil in the upper cylinders constantly. You will also notice that when you shut your bike off and then you look through the oil window to check it at the level will be spot on. There are two lines, one of the top and one at the bottom of that little window on the lower left side engine. Those 2 lines represent the low level and the high level and ideally you want the oil level in between those marks with the engine off and the bike standing upright.

Personally I run 3 quarts of Castrol 20w-50 (V-Power) and 1 quart of Lucas MOTORCYCLE oil stabilizer with a K&N filter... I have tried many different oil and filter brands and viscosities over the years and Castro is the only brand I use for every vehicle the quality versus cost is hands down best ratio on Earth and the Lucas oil stabilizer is just the icing on the cake. 3 quarts of Castrol with 1 quart of Lucas and a K&N filter results in my oil window reading absolutely spot on when I shut the bike off every time.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts