Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, kinda new to the forum talks. I have a couple questions. So I have a 2011 Stryker with 13,500 miles on it. I’m in need of a desperate oil change so I am hoping with the oil being so old and broken down I having issues. Today while riding, after my bike heated up (30 mins) into ride, my bike was making a rubbing feel. Outside temperatures were upper 90s with a real feel of 110. Once the bike was hot any time I would down shift or decelerate it would have a rubbing feel. Felt like it was transmission related. For example in 3rd gear at 45mph if I let off and hit 40mph i could feel it in the bike. I say rubbing because it wasn’t bad enough for me to be concerned something was going to break. So I think the motor and trans share the engine oil together in this bike, so in other words there aren’t two separate drain plugs or fill areas? Please correct me if I’m wrong. The bike looked to be good on engine oil capacity according to the window. Has anyone felt this feeling? When I down shifted it only did it as soon as I let the clutch out. Never felt it on acceleration or while cruising. Only on decelerations and downshift. Also I have a tiny bit of oil residue around what looked to be a sensor in the bottom of the engine, it has two hex key bolts. I’m wondering if I should just change the oil now and see if it helps, but if it’s a clutch issue and the engine and trans share the same oil I don’t want to waste Oil and filter for something that will just have to be drained again. Current oil is on about 5000 miles since last changed. Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
5000 miles is average and I change mine every 6K . I also use rotella T6 full synthetic and that has been in my motor since first oil change. I also change the filter every time, for that I use K&N #204. Never had an issue I’m turning 28K+ and no issues. That small leak u have could be the oil level switch if it has a wire connected. If no wire is probably, drain ****. That usually leaks coolant. The oil and water pump assembly is bolted together but separate housings obviously. Yes change the oil!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I changed oil and filter today. I only use Amsoil full synthetic 10w-40. Same thing after the bike heated up I had a vibration feel when down shifting and on deceleration, mainly in the foot pegs. Before I dive too deep, I’m also wondering if this could possibly be a belt situation. I recently had a tire put on the rear. Maybe if the belt is too tight or too lose and then heats up I feel a slight grabbing/ vibration?

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
I guess it is possible for the wheel to be out of line. When I replace my rim after a tire change I always jack the rear up and adjust the tension and tracking by site ( spinning the tire by hand and watching the belt and rim) when I think I have it spot on then I start it up and just let it idle in first and spin and watch both- btw the front wheel is against a wall for obvious safety reasons!)as the adjuster marks are never correct they get it close. My experience is heat will stretch the belt, cold shrinks it. Check the tension, if u don’t have the service manual search on here there is one. I should know this but I can’t remember the spec of hand.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Hey y’all, kinda new to the forum talks. I have a couple questions. So I have a 2011 Stryker with 13,500 miles on it. I’m in need of a desperate oil change so I am hoping with the oil being so old and broken down I having issues. Today while riding, after my bike heated up (30 mins) into ride, my bike was making a rubbing feel. Outside temperatures were upper 90s with a real feel of 110. Once the bike was hot any time I would down shift or decelerate it would have a rubbing feel. Felt like it was transmission related. For example in 3rd gear at 45mph if I let off and hit 40mph i could feel it in the bike. I say rubbing because it wasn’t bad enough for me to be concerned something was going to break. So I think the motor and trans share the engine oil together in this bike, so in other words there aren’t two separate drain plugs or fill areas? Please correct me if I’m wrong. The bike looked to be good on engine oil capacity according to the window. Has anyone felt this feeling? When I down shifted it only did it as soon as I let the clutch out. Never felt it on acceleration or while cruising. Only on decelerations and downshift. Also I have a tiny bit of oil residue around what looked to be a sensor in the bottom of the engine, it has two hex key bolts. I’m wondering if I should just change the oil now and see if it helps, but if it’s a clutch issue and the engine and trans share the same oil I don’t want to waste Oil and filter for something that will just have to be drained again. Current oil is on about 5000 miles since last changed. Thanks for any responses!
Change your oil its needs it and its also low at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts