Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I have a 2013 stryker all stock. After doing some research, decided to replace the exhaust with Cobra 4" 2 to 1 slip on. Sound is great and much deeper than drilled stock. However, backfire occurs when decelerating.

Went ahead and got ivan's flash. After this backfiring disappeared and bike seems more responsive. However when accelerating and changing gears, when the throttle is released, I can hear a short "brrrr" sound from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, not noticeable 4th to 5th.

Is this normal? If it is, I think I would rather go back to stock exhaust and original ECU map.

Other things:
- disabled 02 sensor as per Ivan's instruction
- added octane booster since my tank was full with 87 before the flash

thanks for any comment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless it's a hard mechanical sound (grinding, etc), the re-flash disables the fuel cutout at throttle release so maybe that's the difference you're hearing. Call Ivan and discuss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess my question is, does anyone else have this experience on their bike after ivan's flash?

I just spoke with Ivan and he says that this is normal. I am wondering why no one mentioned anything about this in the many posts that I read about the great improvement Ivan's flash does. Am I the only person that is annoyed by this sound?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not sure about any weird sound. But I have cobra swepts with Big City Thunder baffles so I can't hear much over the exhaust. :wink: Is it possible to get a youtube clip of what you're hearing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure about any weird sound. But I have cobra swepts with Big City Thunder baffles so I can't hear much over the exhaust. :wink: Is it possible to get a youtube clip of what you're hearing?

Deviate,
I will try to get a video whilst riding. But the sound is exactly "brrr" when you release the throttle as you change gears. The more open your throttle is prior to release, the bigger the "brrr" sound when you release it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Ivan's re-flash? I already spent at least $400 to do the re-flash. I don't want to spend anymore if I don't have to.
Once you have the flash, you don't need this. I have never noticed the sound you are talking about. I will give it a listen the next ride I take.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One more thing, I run 87 all day for years and no issues. There is lots of discussion about Ivan saying to run 89 but I have not found that I need to. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing, I run 87 all day for years and no issues. There is lots of discussion about Ivan saying to run 89 but I have not found that I need to. Just my 2 cents.
Muskie,
That is good to know. Ivan said that I can't use 87 anymore because it will cause engine knock so he told me to add octane booster since I had a full tank. I will try next time without the booster.

I wonder if the "brr" sound is noticeable just with the Cobra 2-to-1 slip-on because of its 4" diameter. I hope somebody else who has this exhaust can comment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have cobra slip on with stock ecu. I have noticed a slight brr sound when changing gears. Some popping during deceleration also. Neither has bothered me. I do wear earplugs while riding. I've listened to it without plugs in and it didn't sound that bad.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
819 Posts
I think i know what your referring to, that is normal due to the exhaust having a bit more flow. It reminds me of a mini jake brake sound. I got it when I went with V&H staggered, with and without flash, with and without a fuel programmer also. Im afraid if its that annoying you will solve it with stock exhaust put back on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jwolff,

I have cobra slip on with stock ecu. I have noticed a slight brr sound when changing gears. Some popping during deceleration also. Neither has bothered me. I do wear earplugs while riding. I've listened to it without plugs in and it didn't sound that bad.
did you also have your ECU re-flashed by ivan or did you just replace the exhaust with the cobra slip-on? I didn't have the "brr" sound prior to re-flash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jwolff,

did you also have your ECU re-flashed by ivan or did you just replace the exhaust with the cobra slip-on? I didn't have the "brr" sound prior to re-flash.
I have not had my ECU flashed. I just replaced the exhaust with Cobra slip on. I noticed the brr sound after install of slip on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts