Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am wondering if my steering head can or does need adjustment. When riding it feels a touch like the alignment is off. When I look at the bolts for the front blinkers the right one is closer to the tank then the left. I first loosened everything below from the lower triple tree down and bounced the forks to try aligning. Result was I got the wheel and fender straighter but, everything is still off at and angle. Secondarily to rule out road crown I drove in the opposite lane on a two lane road no change. I have have attached a few pics below.

This is what the the handle bars look like when driving

everything up front seems correct at that position.

This is how it looks if aligned to what feels correct.

Wheel position at handle bar corrected position.

I had a shop "say they adjusted the lower triple tree down and I did it myself as well seems to have the same results nothing changed. suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
916 Posts
The only way to lower the lower triple tree is to loosen the steering stem nut. The stem and the lower tree are one piece.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I’m understanding correctly I may have miss spoke, they were trying to make sure the forks weren’t twisted with the loosing of the lower pinch bolts, fender and axle. I could be missing something your saying/suggesting?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thought could rear wheel alignment issues create the need to have the handlebars correct to one side? I have been thinking on this but when I ride and lift my hands up the bike tracks straight or moves very little (in both directions randomly).

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
916 Posts
All good! I new what you were trying to say.
about your second question, I don’t believe so. My second rear tire I put on I didn’t have the alignment in the rear on and it wore the left side of the tire bald did not affect steering that I could tell. My Stryker has a natural lean to the right as far as balance. This is found with the no hands and going about 30-40 mph. The only thing I can think of that would make the handle bars off center is bad bearings - which would be obvious IMO, or bent forks.
I just had the shop rebuild my forks and install progressive springs due to fork seal leaks. I removed the forks and gave them to the shop but I marked the top tree position so I would put them back at the same height. Having a full wrap steel fender was a bit challenging to get it all together and at proper height using my calipers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I was planning on doing a spring swap to progressives in the next few weeks might be a good time to tear it down and look over everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm think that they all pull to the right ya ,,,just the way they are ,,,pipes and what not being on that side gives it more weight. Just my thoughts as mine seems to ride like you say

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah all things consider the pull isn’t bad it’s mostly just the steering head angle being to the right. It’s like my right elbow is been but my left is a little straighter and I think I notice it more as I recently had a second shoulder surgery on the left and the tendons tire out from the slight push to keep the front tire straight. Preacherman gave me a good idea to fix that. I inspected the triple trees using the ignition to center and I can tell they are off so I’m going to try to reset it tomorrow this time loosening the bolt at the top as well as lower pinch bolts and axle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All good! I new what you were trying to say.
about your second question, I don’t believe so. My second rear tire I put on I didn’t have the alignment in the rear on and it wore the left side of the tire bald did not affect steering that I could tell. My Stryker has a natural lean to the right as far as balance. This is found with the no hands and going about 30-40 mph. The only thing I can think of that would make the handle bars off center is bad bearings - which would be obvious IMO, or bent forks.
I just had the shop rebuild my forks and install progressive springs due to fork seal leaks. I removed the forks and gave them to the shop but I marked the top tree position so I would put them back at the same height. Having a full wrap steel fender was a bit challenging to get it all together and at proper height using my calipers.
View attachment 123494
Not something many people think about, I suspect. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts