Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, but have been on this site many time!!! Has anyone here had an issue with their fan not turning on and the overheating light coming on? If so what did you guys do to fix.
So far I have changed the fuse many times even switched it to a 30 it helped for a couple of rides but now the fuse doesn’t blow and the fan won’t turn on anymore. I left it idle in my driveway and I noticed the fan twitched for a second but didn’t turn and a couple of minutes later the overheating light came on.
Checked the fuse but was still ok
Any recommendations will be greatly apprecited
Dunno if it’s the motor or the thermostat

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,084 Posts
First put the correct amp fuse in there before you do more damage. Check for a rock or something blocking the fan blades from spinning. If all that checks out follow these to troubleshoot: I would focus first on cooling system and Electrical system checks.

Reactions: Arlen.k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First put the correct amp fuse in there before you do more damage. Check for a rock or something blocking the fan blades from spinning. If all that checks out follow these to troubleshoot: I would focus first on cooling system and Electrical system checks.
View attachment 123923 View attachment 123924
Thanks for the quick reply but I just found out why the fan was not turning... the wires coming out from the fan were fried and down to bare copper... and my coolant level was a little low as well... so I’m guessing the wires overheated because the 30amp fuse and the motor was overheating from the low coolant. Gonna have to buy a new fan! Know any good sites for parts at a good price?

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,084 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply but I just found out why the fan was not turning... the wires coming out from the fan were fried and down to bare copper... and my coolant level was a little low as well... so I’m guessing the wires overheated because the 30amp fuse and the motor was overheating from the low coolant. Gonna have to buy a new fan! Know any good sites for parts at a good price?
I use yamaha parts warehouse, cheap cycle parts, even rock mountain ATV, for some things

Reactions: Arlen.k

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Like already said: DO NOT change a fuse to a higher rating to avoid blowing it. They are there to protect the wires. If they blow there is a reason!!
Hard to say if your problem is fixed because you discovered the bare wires after changing out the fuse. Add the new fan and bench test it beforehand. If the old fan can have the wires isolated or wrapped in electrical tape then bench test it as well. Spin it in your hand. If there is any binding it might have stopped it from turning and then overheated the wires etc.

Low coolant could cause the sensor to not "see" the correct temp or even keep the thermostat from opening but all depends on how low and where said sensor is located.

Bottom line: replace the bad part, tie down wires, add 50/50 coolant mix and go for a ride around town close to home on a warmer day. Fan will not run if too cool out but beginning of September so just depends where you are located...

Good luck and let us know how it all works out so the next person can benefit!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like already said: DO NOT change a fuse to a higher rating to avoid blowing it. They are there to protect the wires. If they blow there is a reason!!
Hard to say if your problem is fixed because you discovered the bare wires after changing out the fuse. Add the new fan and bench test it beforehand. If the old fan can have the wires isolated or wrapped in electrical tape then bench test it as well. Spin it in your hand. If there is any binding it might have stopped it from turning and then overheated the wires etc.

Low coolant could cause the sensor to not "see" the correct temp or even keep the thermostat from opening but all depends on how low and where said sensor is located.

Bottom line: replace the bad part, tie down wires, add 50/50 coolant mix and go for a ride around town close to home on a warmer day. Fan will not run if too cool out but beginning of September so just depends where you are located...

Good luck and let us know how it all works out so the next person can benefit!!
Looking for a fan is hard for my model!! They only sell the blower assembly and it ain’t cheap 400$+ CAD I can’t find just the motor for some reason!
2014 Yamaha Stryker

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,084 Posts
It’s sold as a unit! If you have junk yards could check that, they usually have a battery available to test them at least here in states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts