Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Rain ingestion?

5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  ROADKILL 
#1 ·
I finally installed the Cobra Power Flow and Auto tune and as I look at the huge scoop facing forward on the Power flow I was wondering how much water is going to get ingested in a downpour???

Is this something I need to worry about?
I did a search here but I didn't run into any info about it.

Any one experience problems with this?:confused:

AR.

#3 ·
if you look at the back side of pwrflo you will see some openings around bottom of air cleaner, so should have no problem unless you plan on making that trip across the pond with the Fiat Abarths from Italy

#5 ·
I asked this question of the guy who designed the cobra cvt while he was trying to get the cvt to work right on my bike. It was on my mind because it was raining when I rode to vegas and I have a baron's big air kit. He told me that a good air filter will atomize the water and it will actually give you more power. Like a mini shot of NOS.

I imagine that would not hold true if you got a slug of water in there though. Bad things might happen at that point.

#7 ·
When I took my trip to Harrison Arkansas I got caught in a down pour for over 3 hours during that time I got stuck behind cars, trucks, semi's and didn't have any issues when I was on the throttle but when we got to are hotel and the bike was idling it wanted to sputter and want to die. I slightly hammered on the throttle a couple times and then let it idle. There were no issues during the remaining of the trip with it. If there was water in the filter I believe me getting on the throttle sucked it in and blew it out.
I just need to clean and reoil my air filter now.

#8 ·
I have been caught in several Florida downpours, I haven't had any problems with the Cobra intake ingesting water. One of the rainstorms was coming down so hard the the road was flooding. NOTE: I pulled of in to an elevated parking lot until the rain lessened.

I don't think its anything to stress about.

#20 ·
Have the same cobra power flow and assumed that since I only had 2000kms on the bike the filter was ok. Nope - a downpour caused a ton of grief with sputtering for almost 25km. Assumed it was bad gas at a fill up but turned out filter was soaked!! Dried out and re-oiled and now good to go. Still shouldn't have happened and poor design, that being said I should have oil the filter in advance. What's that about an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure!

#22 ·
Just rode over 200 miles back home from Ohio Bike Week in heavy rain. At higher highway speeds several times the bike sputtered when accelerating. It was really noticeable when trying to pass a tractor trailer to my right. Just before the trip I cleaned and oiled the filter with the recommended K&N filter cleaning kit so I know it was properly serviced.

#23 ·
At some point in either a prolonged rain shower or heavy rain the "open" filter design will get damp no matter how recently oiled(oh and don't over oil it. I had pink **** for a long time till it all drained off).
Plus keep in mind the air will soon approach 100% humidity and that is going to get past the filter. Rain socks will help a lot w/ that.
Personally I don't see any long term problems unless whatever filter you have is bone dry and, thus, sucking in water/water vapor in more than normal amounts.

On the other hand, I hate the rain so I try and avoid it like the plague. The Stryker isn't a touring bike so I don't try and act like a touring rider...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.