Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
PM me and I can walk you through it or once riding season is here we could get together for a ride and do the job beforehand. If you aren't replacing the rear brake line it is a little easier. I replaced mine because I did the 2" forward controls at the same time.

See the next post and my reply and get the speed bleeders. Trying to bleed the lines without them is a major PITA!!!!
I might seek your help as well Billy. I think I'm going to do this mod real soon as well. Possibly sometime in mid April.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I might seek your help as well Billy. I think I'm going to do this mod real soon as well. Possibly sometime in mid April.
Sounds good. Will be back from spring break by then and the bike will be out of storage for the season.
Killing me not to ride now but promised to get other work done around the house...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sounds good. Will be back from spring break by then and the bike will be out of storage for the season.
Killing me not to ride now but promised to get other work done around the house...
I'd gladly host a mod fest at my house in Lindenhurst, I have a large garage and plenty of tools.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'd gladly host a mod fest at my house in Lindenhurst, I have a large garage and plenty of tools.
This actually would be a good idea since 3 sets of hands would help etc.
If we end up going this direction I can put together a list of what I think we need and PM it to you guys.
I'm sure between the 3 of us we have everything required...

·
Registered
917 Posts
This actually would be a good idea since 3 sets of hands would help etc.
If we end up going this direction I can put together a list of what I think we need and PM it to you guys.
I'm sure between the 3 of us we have everything required...
I have Drexel with all sorts of attachments, compressor, full socket set, wrenches, etc. And a parts store with in 3 miles if need be. I'm going to order the switch and boot this weekend from JPcycles.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have Drexel with all sorts of attachments, compressor, full socket set, wrenches, etc. And a parts store with in 3 miles if need be. I'm going to order the switch and boot this weekend from JPcycles.
Get the speed bleeders as well. Otherwise the bleeding process is mind-numbingly tedious :(

·
Registered
917 Posts
Get the speed bleeders as well. Otherwise the bleeding process is mind-numbingly tedious :(
I'll dig thru this thread and find your link and get those ordered up as well!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
AR.... does this look right? is it plug and play? or did u have to cut and splice?
Many of us used the existing connector and soldered/heatshrink that to this part so the disconnect is still there.
I guess the pins on this part would do the same thing but you'll have the connector (1/2 of it) anyway once you remove the wiring to the existing brake switch so why not use it anyway.

If this doesn't make total sense it will if you follow the existing wiring from the rear brake switch(by the foot pedal/oil rig) back to where the connector is located(probably behind a panel though...)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
LOL Billy Little confusing the way u said it. but I get it...
Clear as mud :(
Was just trying to say "Reuse the existing connector and keep everything watertight and solid"

In general I do wiring very "Old School", where I cut/splice into things, solder and heatshrink to make the new wiring as close to a "continuous" wire as humanly possible. The quick connects/taps and the like are OK but I've seen way too many failures. Plus trouble shooting is harder if you have to dig all over god's earth to find things.
Over the years have seen some really horrid jobs where people just hack power and grounds from wherever versus taking a little longer and doing the job correctly. Sooner or later that comes back to bite you...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Clear as mud :(
Was just trying to say "Reuse the existing connector and keep everything watertight and solid"

In general I do wiring very "Old School", where I cut/splice into things, solder and heatshrink to make the new wiring as close to a "continuous" wire as humanly possible. The quick connects/taps and the like are OK but I've seen way too many failures. Plus trouble shooting is harder if you have to dig all over god's earth to find things.
Over the years have seen some really horrid jobs where people just hack power and grounds from wherever versus taking a little longer and doing the job correctly. Sooner or later that comes back to bite you...
I can understand that. I appriciate the feed back Ill let u know how it all works.... Hopefully this weekend

21 - 38 of 38 Posts