Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have not figured out how to adjust the rear shock yet, here's how I did it and it's very easy.
Remove the upper belt guard and you have a clear shot to the adjustment holes. Using your adjustment tool (the dealer gave you one with the bike, didn't he?) insert it into the holes with the handle extension in place. I used a wood chisel inserted in the extension handle for additional leverage. Push away from you to soften the shock and pull toward you to stiffen the shock. If you want to stiffen it, it may help to jack up the rear wheel to take some of the load off it. The dealer where I bought it couldn't figure out how to do it. He said to bring it back when I needed a new rear tire and they could adjust it for me then. I guess they were just not familiar with the Stryker. Livin' & Learnin'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are working from the side the belt is on. That would be the left side of the bike as you sit on it. I weigh about 170 lbs. and have probably one intact vertebrae left so I softened it up 2 notches. I may go one more but the adjustment seems to help. The downside is if I meet up with a plump chick who needs a ride the suspension may be a little mushy. GRIN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
immortal13 said:
Which direction are you facing when pushing or pulling?
immortal13, If your standing on the left side of the bike where the drive belt is, pushing towards the front of the bike stiffens the preload and pulling towards the rear tire softens the preload. If you go to the other side of the bike and peek through you can see the notch where the adjustment rides on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
silverridge08 said:
immortal13 said:
Which direction are you facing when pushing or pulling?
immortal13, If your standing on the left side of the bike where the drive belt is, pushing towards the front of the bike stiffens the preload and pulling towards the rear tire softens the preload. If you go to the other side of the bike and peek through you can see the notch where the adjustment rides on.
Gotcha...that's what I thought. So basically, the adjustment dial needs to be turned "clockwise" to stiffen and "counter-clockwise" to soften.

I bought a spanner wrench the other day from my local Yami dealership for $26.00 and was a little peeved to find out that obviously some sort of extension is needed. They told me nothing about this, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
immortal13 said:
silverridge08 said:
immortal13 said:
Which direction are you facing when pushing or pulling?
immortal13, If your standing on the left side of the bike where the drive belt is, pushing towards the front of the bike stiffens the preload and pulling towards the rear tire softens the preload. If you go to the other side of the bike and peek through you can see the notch where the adjustment rides on.
Gotcha...that's what I thought. So basically, the adjustment dial needs to be turned "clockwise" to stiffen and "counter-clockwise" to soften.

I bought a spanner wrench the other day from my local Yami dealership for $26.00 and was a little peeved to find out that obviously some sort of extension is needed. They told me nothing about this, of course.
You are going to be more peeved when you find out the were supposed to hand you the wrench with the extension when they handed you the owners manual
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Yeah, I know that Toby, but I bought my bike from a dealer in Wisconsin.....and I live in Texas. I've used my local dealership for a couple of things, plus bought a few parts, oil, ect. through them. I'm sure when they pull my name up in their system it probably says in bold "DID NOT BUY BIKE FROM US".....so I kinda expected the unfriendly attitude. If they don't improve on this, I'll just buy every **** thing I need ONLINE.

You hear that Tyler Yamaha....it's called the internet!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
immortal13 said:
Yeah, I know that Toby, but I bought my bike from a dealer in Wisconsin.....and I live in Texas. I've used my local dealership for a couple of things, plus bought a few parts, oil, ect. through them. I'm sure when they pull my name up in their system it probably says in bold "DID NOT BUY BIKE FROM US".....so I kinda expected the unfriendly attitude. If they don't improve on this, I'll just buy every **** thing I need ONLINE.

You hear that Tyler Yamaha....it's called the internet!!
Ya that sucks so you have a check mark in the box next to (suck every penny out of him you can) :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Toby said:
immortal13 said:
Yeah, I know that Toby, but I bought my bike from a dealer in Wisconsin.....and I live in Texas. I've used my local dealership for a couple of things, plus bought a few parts, oil, ect. through them. I'm sure when they pull my name up in their system it probably says in bold "DID NOT BUY BIKE FROM US".....so I kinda expected the unfriendly attitude. If they don't improve on this, I'll just buy every **** thing I need ONLINE.

You hear that Tyler Yamaha....it's called the internet!!
Ya that sucks so you have a check mark in the box next to (suck every penny out of him you can) :(
Oh yeah, I'm sure I do lol.

The other day I went by just to buy oil and a filter, and I kid you not I stood there about 5 minutes before any of the THREE people behind the counter acknowledged my presence. And that was only because I finally said, "umm, excuse me can I buy some oil please?"
Of course they were all 3 engrossed in their computer screens, but still...

One of the 2 men was training a new girl. I was thinking to myself...way to go training the new girl how to ignore a customer who is right in front of her. Pathetic really
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
immortal13 said:
Toby said:
immortal13 said:
Yeah, I know that Toby, but I bought my bike from a dealer in Wisconsin.....and I live in Texas. I've used my local dealership for a couple of things, plus bought a few parts, oil, ect. through them. I'm sure when they pull my name up in their system it probably says in bold "DID NOT BUY BIKE FROM US".....so I kinda expected the unfriendly attitude. If they don't improve on this, I'll just buy every **** thing I need ONLINE.

You hear that Tyler Yamaha....it's called the internet!!
Ya that sucks so you have a check mark in the box next to (suck every penny out of him you can) :(
Oh yeah, I'm sure I do lol.

The other day I went by just to buy oil and a filter, and I kid you not I stood there about 5 minutes before any of the THREE people behind the counter acknowledged my presence. And that was only because I finally said, "umm, excuse me can I buy some oil please?"
Of course they were all 3 engrossed in their computer screens, but still...

One of the 2 men was training a new girl. I was thinking to myself...way to go training the new girl how to ignore a customer who is right in front of her. Pathetic really
Wow sounds like you need to find a new shop? And you couldn't expect them to notice you over some girl they wanted to train, er I mean were training? ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
This wasn't even some super hot girl, and besides it wasn't like they couldn't see me standing there. I was literally 2 feet in front of them. Never got a smile, how's your day going sir or anything....**** a "[email protected]#k you buddy" would've been better than just ignoring me. I run a customer service business and I would never dream of treating a customer that way....total bullshit. And I would love to use another shop, but they're the only Yami dealer around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sad, but true. Most of the parts people I have run into now days can't think for themselves either. Case in point, I went to the Harley dealer some years ago to buy a replacement windshield for my bike. Yeah, it's an older model but the bikes haven't changed much and I thought I could find a relacement there. The parts guy asked me the model bike and tried to look it up on his computer. Of course, they didn't stock it and couldn't get a windshield for that model so I told him that the bike was outside and we could measure it to see if there was one that would fit. He wasn't even willing to come take a look at it because he said if it wasn't in his computer with a specific part number he couldn't help me. Sorry Bud, move on down the line. You're wasting my time. That's the attitude I often get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
2nd trip to the bike mechanic (shop I just discovered only 6 blocks from my house), and the guy still can't get the shock adjusted.

I bought a spanner wrench at the yami dealership (progressive brand), and he couldn't seem to get the wrench to lock on the "dial" on top of the spring. He said he needs me to come back to take the wheel off so he can get to it. Is this necessary?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
immortal13 said:
2nd trip to the bike mechanic (shop I just discovered only 6 blocks from my house), and the guy still can't get the shock adjusted.

I bought a spanner wrench at the yami dealership (progressive brand), and he couldn't seem to get the wrench to lock on the "dial" on top of the spring. He said he needs me to come back to take the wheel off so he can get to it. Is this necessary?

I have a motorcycle jack and I just jack it the bike off the ground and turn it with my hand. But I do have the low and mean spring so when weight is off the bike its loose. But no, you do not need to take the wheel off. That's just bad mechanic'en.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Jack it up, take both small side covers off right side, use a long screwdriver and tap lightly with hammer in slot of adjustment ring to adjust. 5 minutes top!!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Yes and reading owner's manual will help also!
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top