Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Removing chrome trim around gas cap

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  _M_ 
#1 ·
I have a question for the folks that have removed their trim pieces from around
The gas cap how you did this and is it just 3m adhesive trim tape
Holding it on the tank appreciate any info on this procedure

#2 ·
Hi!! Yes, it is 3M tape holding it on. first remove your cap, then I used a double folded kitchen towel to protect my tank, and a mini crowbar edge wrapped in a hand towel to gently pry up the edges of the center strip. I then took a very sharp knife out of my knife drawers and carefully cut the tape, not scratching the paint with the tip of the knife. A paring knife worked the best, long enough to reach the tape, but short enough to not push through too much. There was 8 pieces of tape under the strip. Just remember, these strips are chromed plastic.... don't go all hog wild or you will end up with pieces left over. Remove the left over pieces of tape using a hair dryer to warm them up for removal, and either avon skin so soft or goo gone to get rid of the leftover adhesive. there will be a seam in the tank that can be seen, so I don't know if you putting on something different or not, and the stock cap sits up really high to accomodate the tank strip. Good luck!!! And welcome!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.