Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a 2012 Stryker. I have searched the forum but come up empty when it comes to the Rotella T6 oil weight everyone using in their Yamaha Stryker. Can anyone provide some information stating which oil weight in this brand is ok for the Stryker? If memory serves me correct, there were multiple choices of oil weights listed in the service manual. I do not have it handy... However, looking on the Shell Rotella site, I cannot find it in 10w-40. They only list the following.
Diesel Full Synthetic: 0w-40, 5w-40, 15w-40
Multi Vehicle Full Synthetic: 5w-30.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I use the T6 5w-40. It's full synthetic(though probably a slightly lower grade...) and has worked fine since the initial swap around 4K(currently at 40K).
I do my oil changes at 3500 since inexpensive and easy for me.

For some, oil becomes almost "spiritual" and potentially a hot topic. To me, you just have to follow the specs. I mean Yamaha is going to recommend Yamahlube but they certainly don't have a refinery!! Keep in mind, Yamaha also says you only need to change the filter every other time which is sort of insane to me!!

Make sure it is Jaso approved and the correct thickness for the weather you ride in. Hotter places will run 20w50.
Try a few different brands to see if they help with the shifting etc. and settle in on one that works for you.

IMO, you are far more likely to damage or grenade an engine by running oil too long or too low vs. probably anything else. MC specific oils can get pricey but everyone has to make their own decision/choice. Personally, I compare specs vs. price and see if there is a worthwhile difference.

All that said, people fret over the motorcycle(or fill in X toy here) but routinely send a car that costs 3-6X more to Jiffylube... :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts