Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a couple of you know, on the 7th of this month I was sideswiped by a Subaru, wasn't injured past a couple bruises and soreness, and somehow did not go down. Maybe I ought to play football since I did dent her door in well enough that no one could open it... The damage I saw included a scuff on the transmission cover on the right, the brake lever, right turn signal cover, and it ripped off the foot peg/rear brake assembly. Estimate by phone, unless I heard wrong, $5144.22. Gld I walked away! I'll know more Thursday when I can get a paper breakdown of what all they're replacing. Good thing the other driver had good insurance!

· Registered
3,234 Posts
As a couple of you know, on the 7th of this month I was sideswiped by a Subaru, wasn't injured past a couple bruises and soreness, and somehow did not go down. Maybe I ought to play football since I did dent her door in well enough that no one could open it... The damage I saw included a scuff on the transmission cover on the right, the brake lever, right turn signal cover, and it ripped off the foot peg/rear brake assembly. Estimate by phone, unless I heard wrong, $5144.22. Gld I walked away! I'll know more Thursday when I can get a paper breakdown of what all they're replacing. Good thing the other driver had good insurance!
Glad to hear you finally got your estimate. Now I hope you get it fixed soon. I know it's killing you not being able to ride.

8,695 Posts
Sounds like a fair estimate. some of us may have useable parts that we could help you out with rather than buying new. I have a transmission cover, turn signal cover, and foot peg you can have. Maybe more depending on what you need.

· Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm happy you are OK and impressed you didn't go down. :crutch: Must be more up w/ the bike to rack up 5K... I know repairs are expensive but that's 1/2 of a brand new one for crying out loud.

And agree too many accidents as of late but thankfully the lion's share of the damage has been to the bikes and they can always be fixed/replaced!

· Registered
749 Posts
bikes can be replaced glad you are ok.

· Registered
755 Posts
Really glad you are ok! I really wish people driving 4 wheeled vehicles would learn to pay attention instead of thinking about anything and everything else except what they are doing...
Hope the bike gets fixed quickly so you can get back out there =)

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Probably was either on the phone or messing with their phone. I am becoming enraged lately and how bad this phone thing has become with distracted driving.

Glad you are OK. Hope you can get back in the saddle soon.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to get back on 2 wheels before the leaves really start turning around here- hearing all the bikes go past my house last weekend in such perfect weather- longing I guess is the word I'd use...

As far as parts go, I'll know more when I see what needs replaced- since I now have no covered place to work in, just a gravel drive, I believe I'll limit what I do on my own for now, but after I see what I can do on my own vs what needs doing by someone who knows what they're doing I may be here shopping.

2,677 Posts
Those bike dealer estimates can be pretty misleading. OE parts are outrageously expensive and they'll include even the most insignificant items on the estimate. For example my bud dropped his 2009 VSTAR 950 while going like 3MPH. They quoted over $5,000 which would total the bike. Upon looking at the estimate they included a $1,200 factory exhaust system because his had one or two unnoticeable scratches on it. Also the tank had a small dent and a few scratches...they quoted a new replacement tank rather than repairing for much less money.

· Registered
6,785 Posts
Probably was either on the phone or messing with their phone. I am becoming enraged lately and how bad this phone thing has become with distracted driving.

Glad you are OK. Hope you can get back in the saddle soon.
Yeah, I saw a big man in a little car handling 2 cell phones at one time. I rode even with him for a bit. I wanted him to know I was looking. Then, I couldn't help but pull the throttle back....my bad!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.