Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the HD dealership checking out the bikes and talking with the staff just hangin out and talking bikes. I spotted a CVO Breakout so we headed over and were talking about the specs, I sat on the bike and popped it up. It's very simmilar to our bikes (as we all know) A couple of interesting things first I found it could use a lot more pull back on the bars even more than the stryker but the stock forward controls were great. Anyway the guy who owns the dealership asked me what I was riding and I told him a Stryker. The fist words out of his mouth were "Thats what this bike should of been" then the guys "all Harley reps" started talking about how it was designed after the stryker and how the stryker, raider and even honda's new line Fury ect.. were changing the way HD were designing their next line of bikes. Now don't get wrong I'm not bashing HD's, there enough people on both sides chirping about that. I thought it was very cool that our bikes that we love so much get the respect from the designers and engineers from other companies.

· Registered
4,672 Posts
I've been to the HD dealer twice now in hopes of seeing on and setting on one, but both times they said the one they had just sold and they've ordered another one.
What that rep said to you what he really wanted to say but couldn't in front of others was " you own a Stryker, why are you wasting your time looking at a Breakout?" LOL.

· Registered
881 Posts
I still like the looks of the Breakout....it has everything the Stryker didn't have stock....240, side mount plate, front drag bars...They even have the blue color!! (They obviously know how fast the blue is!!)

But for $18k MSRP...Not worth it IMO

· Registered
881 Posts
In comparison to the Strykers overall size, how does it compare? I am 6'3 and think I fit good on the Stryker. People keep saying I would be to big for a SoftTail

· Registered
4,672 Posts
In comparison to the Strykers overall size, how does it compare? I am 6'3 and think I fit good on the Stryker. People keep saying I would be to big for a SoftTail
I didn't think about that but if they are consistent to HD sizes it's going to be, well, scrunched up compared to the Stryker

· Registered
49 Posts
Not very big, but good size for the average guy... The selling point for me is the big motor tied to a 6-speed transmission. That said, still overpriced. Plus, watch the test ride vids... The bike sits too low and scrapes way too easy (easier than a lowered Stryker).

· Registered
881 Posts
I wish we had a 6spd....**** you Yamaha!

· Registered
881 Posts
Well if you move out of the right lane and go above 55, it might howl! ;)

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 6'2 and I didn't feel scrunched on the Breakout. I do think the strker is longer and has a better rake. The stock seat on the Breakout was very nice. First thing I would change on the Breakout would be the bar risers the arm position was not comfortable. As far as the price I could buy 2 strykers and still have cash left over

· Registered
65 Posts
Went to the hd dealership in baton rouge the other day with my dad, he was dropping off his wheels to have new ones mounted and balanced. After hammering him for 160 skins for mount and balance (had the wheels off the bike and new tires in hand as well).. i had to ask the service person why it was that high, the yamaha dealership only charged like 40 for the same job to be done. The response was "you must ride a metric".. so we go out on the show room floor and the sales girl comes up and we were talking about the hd parts and everything price wise and her response was the same "you must ride a metric", after this time I told her i wouldnt ride any of the junk on this show room except the ducati that was inside on the showroom floor as well.. They still couldnt explain to me why they used 10mm 12pt bolts on the "Merican Bike".. so much for not being metric..lol

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Went to the hd dealership in baton rouge the other day with my dad, he was dropping off his wheels to have new ones mounted and balanced. After hammering him for 160 skins for mount and balance (had the wheels off the bike and new tires in hand as well).. i had to ask the service person why it was that high, the yamaha dealership only charged like 40 for the same job to be done. The response was "you must ride a metric".. so we go out on the show room floor and the sales girl comes up and we were talking about the hd parts and everything price wise and her response was the same "you must ride a metric", after this time I told her i wouldnt ride any of the junk on this show room except the ducati that was inside on the showroom floor as well.. They still couldnt explain to me why they used 10mm 12pt bolts on the "Merican Bike".. so much for not being metric..lol
The one thing, or two things about Harley Davidson that are American,
The company, Harley Davidson, was founded by Americans in America, thus an American company. The 2nd thing is it's run by Americans and their main assembly plant is in America.. The question is, where are the parts manufactured and shipped from that they assemble their bikes with?????
Also Made in America means all of north and south America.

· Registered
749 Posts
Ditto, Amen the Stryker really needs a 6th gear @ 80 on the speedo(actual75 ) it is really howling.
I noticed the stryker loves the rpm i cruise at 85 to 90 acual sounds fine to me.

· Registered
569 Posts
Was out for a ride this morning and reading this post prompted me to swing by the local Harley dealer. I wanted to take a look and see what they had for leather saddlebags as they usually have a pretty good selection. Was surprised by a few things. One the fact that when I pulled up my bike seemed to draw the "die hard" Harley folks out of the store including the manager. Hadn't even got off the bike and one if the team made a beeline to check it out! Many comments on how nice it was.
The second surprise was the lowered inventory in the store. These guys are hardcore HD but I was surprised to see the addition of some non-Harley gear and even some dirt bike apparel on the racks. Guess the HD mystique is starting to wind itself down a bit. The showroom which in the past had quite a few HD "custom" models was filled with more basic models this year. I've been a Harley rider in the past and understand the brotherhood and lifestyle that people are buying into but I think the high prices have alienated a lot of people. I saw a lot of nice bikes but not one that I would trade my Stryker in for!

8,695 Posts
I am always impressed by the size and layout of the HD stores. Always a Huge selection of clothes and accessories. Also noticed that most all the seats are very comfortable.
On another note, they do have some parts made in China and Japan also. Seen the parts boxes with it in print. So I guess we can add Asia on to the list of Countries.

· Registered
31 Posts
A 6TH gear,really? I roll along at 80mph with no buzzing at all. If anything I've found the gearing in the stryker to be very tall. My shifts have much longer intervals than my Vulcan 900 ever did. For example, I've noticed that my wife has shifted into 3rd on her Suzuki M50 when I still riding in first gear on my skryker when we first take off. I can get up to 50mph before I feel the need to shift into 3rd on the stryker whereas I simply couldn't do that on the vulcan.

I think you guys would find that if you let your gear changes run a little longer you'd find that you wouldn't feel the need for an extra gear as you wouldn't be shifting in 5th gear until you were doing around 60mph.

From my experience the styrker isn't fond of early gear changes as it lugs something fierce when shifted to soon.

Just my 2 cents!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.