Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Speedo LEDs

20K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  TonyPalleschi 
#1 ·
Has anyone attempted or actually replaced the speedo LEDs? Not a fan of the orange. I'd like to go green or blue. Its just a couple of LEDs on the board, and shouldn't be that difficult.

If you have post up some pics and a how-to.

#5 ·
Natedog said:
Has anyone attempted or actually replaced the speedo LEDs? Not a fan of the orange. I'd like to go green or blue. Its just a couple of LEDs on the board, and shouldn't be that difficult.

If you have post up some pics and a how-to.
lMAO.... Thats soo funny how u say its shouldnt be that difficult ...... then do it lol.....

#7 ·
TX.Stryker said:
it's probably closer to red... but i'm with it too if anyone has done this please post pics and a simple "how to". i've seen guys take that speedometer off and paint it flat black instead of the stock chrome so i'm sure they've seen what it looks like under there
The cover is just that, a cover. The speedo is it's own enclosed unit.

From my experiences doing this type of mod there are usually several SMT LED's which can be a little trickier to work with because of their size but the principles are the same. It helps to file down the tip of a soldering iron and you want to stick with an iron under 30 watts when working on such small electronic components.

#13 ·
I've been wanting to do this as well. I did it to my CBR 600RR a couple of years back. It is hard working with the small LED's but not impossible. I changed the gauges to a sweet blue color. I'll post up some pics in a couple of days when I have access to a computer again and not just my iPhone.

#15 ·
Sweet! I did the same with my old 636. Went from stock orange to blue like yours.

For those that got replacement gauge faces from L&M or that "spider dude" (sorry I cant remember your handle :) )
does the light shine through the same as stock? Worse? Or even better?

#20 ·
I'm gonna revive this dead thread in hopes that someone can help

Anyone know what the LED's are like for lighting our speedo. I want to change them from red to white but I was wondering what LED's are in there and whats involved with changing them. Pics of a speedo taken apart?

#21 ·
I'm pretty sure all these leds are Surface mount LED's. Usually they will have a prefix or suffix of SM.
They are the little square LED's with the contacts on either end. They are a bit of a pain to solder if you're not experienced, but are relatively easy to replace.

I have not done mine yet, but plan to in the future.

#22 ·
jester624 said:
I'm pretty sure all these leds are Surface mount LED's. Usually they will have a prefix or suffix of SM.
They are the little square LED's with the contacts on either end. They are a bit of a pain to solder if you're not experienced, but are relatively easy to replace.

I have not done mine yet, but plan to in the future.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. They are a pain but not too bad with a little magnification. I replaced the ones in my CBR gauges and it turned out pretty good. Just need to know what the LED numbers are and Ill tackle it

#23 ·
I've had my guage apart. Its a 3 tier electronics sandwich. On the bottom is the interface board that plugs into the harness. In the middle is the control board with the LEDs mounted on the surface like Jester said. On top is the clear plastic faceplate holder.

I could not get the top 2 tiers apart. After removing all of the screws it was still being held in place by LCD module in the center. I tried removing that with no luck as I didn't want to destroy it in the process. Someone with more knowledge and proper tools should be able to do it though. If you plan on replacing the LEDs then this top plastic teir must be removed.

#24 ·
Natedog said:
I've had my guage apart. Its a 3 tier electronics sandwich. On the bottom is the interface board that plugs into the harness. In the middle is the control board with the LEDs mounted on the surface like Jester said. On top is the clear plastic faceplate holder.

I could not get the top 2 tiers apart. After removing all of the screws it was still being held in place by LCD module in the center. I tried removing that with no luck as I didn't want to destroy it in the process. Someone with more knowledge and proper tools should be able to do it though. If you plan on replacing the LEDs then this top plastic teir must be removed.
Thanks for the info Nate. Sounds like a little more work than I thought. When my new faceplate shows up and I have it apart I'll take a look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.