Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Stryker 16k miles original battery. Turn the key on spedo sweeps, panel idiot lights come and go off, but no fuel pump noise, no noise when you press the starter button. The battery voltage drops to 8v. Most posts say it is the battery, new battery does the same thing?

Bill

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
887 Posts
We have seen more than one bad “new” battery issue. I’d either have it tested and/or try a full charge in it. If problem continues, could be a bad fuel pump, bad starter, starter relay. There is a great section in the service manual on no start issues starts with page 8-15.
Go here to get a copy of the manual-

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will charge and test the old and new batteries and have them tested. I don't see how any starter issues will keep the fuel pump from running when the key is turned on? The "diag" comes up in the display, but I have not found any combination of buttons that let me scroll, not in the manual or here.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Try the following, it works on most Yamaha's

1. Press and hold the Reset button
2. Turn ignition to ON and keep holding the Reset until "diag" appears on the LCD (about 5 seconds).
3. Now press and hold Reset and Select buttons at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds until you enter the diagnostics list.
4. Now you can press Select to move up, or Reset to move back through all available code. Among them are throttle position sensor, temperature etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies. Preacherman was the most influential, made me look at the schematics and flow charts. I knew the key worked, so I followed the flow for starter/fuel pump. High on both lists was the kill/off switch. While checking the right hand controls I found that all the wires in that bundle were cut. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From my experience this summer, I had to replace the fuel pump twice. Luckily the first one was under warranty; though it's a pain to replace. After charging and you still don't hear the fuel pump, my guess is that the fuel pump is bad. You may want to check your fuel pump fuse before taking the fuel pump out.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
887 Posts
Thank you for the replies. Preacherman was the most influential, made me look at the schematics and flow charts. I knew the key worked, so I followed the flow for starter/fuel pump. High on both lists was the kill/off switch. While checking the right hand controls I found that all the wires in that bundle were cut. Mystery solved.
How can the wires just get cut?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have join the Columbo forum, and read more manuals to figure that out? I don't know, no mods done in several years?

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
887 Posts
“Just one more question”?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts