Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Yamaha stryker, 1300
I noticed yesterday I would hit my starter button and it wouldn't start up, felt like it wasn't making a connection inside the button. Then j stopped for gas and I'd turn the key, guages would light up, speed needle would do the sweep and then I'd hit the button and everything would go dark, nothing but a pop and then the tick of the fuel pump.
Eventually I got the seat and plastic battery cover off, I would shake the battery and the guages and needle sweep would happen but the button would cut everything again. Eventually I just shook the battery to get it turned on, then we push started me and it ran no problem all the way home. Forgot about it but today it's doing the same thing.
First thoughts are fuses but I'm not going to tear into it today. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,100 Posts
Tighten your battery connections. Also check the screw on the back of the cluster where the start button is at may be loose. Definitely sounds like a loose connection! And if they are the battery is not getting a good charge and won’t last long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tightened down the connections on the battery and even took off the battery tender wires, in case they were causing it to get loose. Same issue continues, I will check the bolts behind the starter button but it feels more like a fuse issue somewhere along the line. I have no idea where the fuse box is either lmfao

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My issue began with hard starts and then periodically nothing when the key was turned. Turned out my starter was gone. The magnet inside the starter was in pieces. Searching online and this has happened with a few models of Yamaha bikes.
I used to have a weird "rattle" that would happen whenever I went over bumps. That problem went away when the starter was changed. So I am guessing the rattle was the magnets inside the starter.
No idea if this is your issue or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you wouldn't get power to the guages when the key was on? Cause that sounds right. And I was curious if it could be my starter but I didn't want to go that far on it yet

My issue began with hard starts and then periodically nothing when the key was turned. Turned out my starter was gone. The magnet inside the starter was in pieces. Searching online and this has happened with a few models of Yamaha bikes.
I used to have a weird "rattle" that would happen whenever I went over bumps. That problem went away when the starter was changed. So I am guessing the rattle was the magnets inside the starter.
No idea if this is your issue or not.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I did get power to my gauges, full sweep on the speedo. The starter seemed like a hard start, dead battery, or over compressed engine trying to start and then it just wouldn't start. Refresh the key back to off and then on, hit the starter button and it would normally fire up, albeit the hard start. I had swapped out the battery thinking that was the issue. The local shop diagnosed it as possibly being the starter clutch. After a month of lost riding last year waiting for a new starter clutch and that not fixing the problem, they checked the starter. When they opened it up the magnet came out in pieces.
Replaced the starter and the bike's been fine ever since.
And no more rattle over bumps.

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,100 Posts
We’re the connections Loose? Did they loosen back up after you tighten them? Btw the fuses are easy to get to once the seat is off just pop off the cover on the fuse box.

Reactions: RustyJake

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similar problem. Was magnets on the starter motor. Glue is not great.
If only 1 or2 magnets put bike in gear and push forward. Then try again should start. Will get you going for a couple of days until new starter arrives.
If more you'll just have to wait

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 Yamaha stryker, 1300
I noticed yesterday I would hit my starter button and it wouldn't start up, felt like it wasn't making a connection inside the button. Then j stopped for gas and I'd turn the key, guages would light up, speed needle would do the sweep and then I'd hit the button and everything would go dark, nothing but a pop and then the tick of the fuel pump.
Eventually I got the seat and plastic battery cover off, I would shake the battery and the guages and needle sweep would happen but the button would cut everything again. Eventually I just shook the battery to get it turned on, then we push started me and it ran no problem all the way home. Forgot about it but today it's doing the same thing.
First thoughts are fuses but I'm not going to tear into it today. Any ideas?
My 2013 sryker is doing what seems like same thing. Was running fine then went to restart and made a pop/arc noise under seat then speedo went dark. I jumped bike. Started up hard, took cables off battery and speedo started to jump like prestart swipe, then died. What did u do to get yours going again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a very similar problem about a month ago. It was the starter relay, make sure you get the correct one. The cheaper relay's do not provide power for the fuel pump. I got mine from Partzilla 3D8-81940-00-00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a very similar problem about a month ago. It was the starter relay, make sure you get the correct one. The cheaper relay's do not provide power for the fuel pump. I got mine from Partzilla 3D8-81940-00-00.
I read a lot of things from relay to starter. It can get exspenive fast but I'll give the relay a shot. Hopefully fixes the issue. I'm up in the northeast. Snow is approaching soon and would like this taken care of before next season. Hope all works out..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts