Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new stryker today. Love it. There are stickers on the swing arm, gas tank and a yamaha sticker on the rear fender. I want remove these.
I;m pretty sure this is no big deal, but any heads up or hints.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Use a hair dryer or a heat pistol to warm up the stickers.
You can easily pull them off when they are warm.
Remove the remaining glue by soaking it with WD-40 or normal vegetable oil and rubbing with a soft cloth.

Greetings, Dirk.

·
8,693 Posts
Yamaha Sticker on the rear fender will be the easiest, Info sticker on swingarm is not to bad either and I and some others have saved that sticker and stuck it on front part of rear fender under seat. It has some useful info on it like tire pressures. That warning sticker on the tank is a real mofo. you will understand when all you finger nails are worn out. HEHE

·
Registered
322 Posts
Apparently the previous owner of my bike had a lot of trouble removing that tank sticker too. So much that he chipped the paint under it...not sure if it pulled the paint up when he removed it or he was an idiot. He did paint the chips at least and you can't tell from a distance. It is about the only blemish on my bike.

Maybe one day I will save up enough to get the tank repainted without the '11 Raven graphic on the side and it will take care of it all.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Yamaha Sticker on the rear fender will be the easiest, Info sticker on swingarm is not to bad either and I and some others have saved that sticker and stuck it on front part of rear fender under seat. It has some useful info on it like tire pressures. That warning sticker on the tank is a real mofo. you will understand when all you finger nails are worn out. HEHE
I found an unobtrusive place to remount the tire pressure decal...
The shadowing in this pic makes it look like the decal is coming loose but it's tight and secure! Just shadows from bolt heads and the weld.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that if you place a WD-40 soaked rag on the tank sticker and let it sit for a couple hours it will come right off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that if you place a WD-40 soaked rag on the tank sticker and let it sit for a couple hours it will come right off.
I would be very cautious about leaving a solvent of any type on a painted surface for any length of time. Sure the sticker may be removed, but would not want to risk the finish of the clear coat / paint.

I used ISOPROPANOL ALCOHOL
Soak - peel - repeat - go slow.

You will want to wash and wax (carnuba or synthetic) the tank once the process is complete as the paint protection will have been completely removed by whatever process you have used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WD40 faq-

WD-40® Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those of you with the green Stryker, the warning labels on the tank appear to be under the clear coat. I've tried heat, nothing works, it just wants to chip off. I've been told that it's b/c they're under the clear. Has anyone with the green stryker removed these successfully without damaging the paint?

·
Registered
46 Posts
That warning sticker is not under the clear. I removed mine with a heat gun and it came off in small pieces. Becareful not to blister or bubble the paint with the heat gun. Used WD40 to remove any glue left behind than a good wash and wax. The only thing under the clear is the stripping on the side of the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts