Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting over on the kawi boards but it's dead over there. What do you guys think?

I have a 2008 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 that ran great up until a few days ago. Bike only has 1200 miles on it. When I start the bike I can rev the bike to my hearts content. Sounds great. No issues. The second the bike is warmed up though all throttle response is lost but idles fine. If I try to rev the bike... nothing. If I keep trying it will eventually backfire. I've drained the gas and it looks fine. Spark plug looked normal but replaced it anyway. I've sprayed starter fluid around all the boots and vacuum lines and can't find a leak. Air filter is clean. This happen to any of you guys? Dirty carb or faulty petcock?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran the motor until the issue started and from what I read about vapor lock.. if I pop the gas cap it should alleviate the issue. That did not work. Ran the motor with the gas cap off and it was the same. No throttle response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the engine is not getting gas for some reason. It happens after it warms up. Sounds like a carb problem. The cure for possible vapor lock (opening the tank) may not be the solution. How about trying to wrap some insulation around the carb to see if that works. Did you try tightening the nuts that hold the carb to the engine? Did you spray around the intake gasket? The heat may be warping something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would pull the carb off and peel it open. You might find something obvious and its not hard to clean one out. If it ran fine for the 1200 miles previous its likely some sort of contamination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did a carb clean on it. Twice. Cleaned the gas tank. Installed a fuel filter. New plug. Starts up fine. Idles fine but still getting the acceleration cut out.

I found a video online that is the same exact issue but no indication of what was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,009 Posts
When you say carb clean, did you completely disassemble it (remove all jets, needle, float, seats, diaphram, springs)? I would get a rebuild kit that comes with new diaphram rebuild it after you clean it again all the little orfices you should find a piece of paper clip or smaller if needed to probes those holes and also spray out with carb cleaner and compressed air. That is most definitely a fuel delivery issue with the main jet system even a small piece of dirt can make that happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you say carb clean, did you completely disassemble it (remove all jets, needle, float, seats, diaphram, springs)? I would get a rebuild kit that comes with new diaphram rebuild it after you clean it again all the little orfices you should find a piece of paper clip or smaller if needed to probes those holes and also spray out with carb cleaner and compressed air. That is most definitely a fuel delivery issue with the main jet system even a small piece of dirt can make that happen.
Yes. Tore it all down. Even bought a new carb and had the same issues. Measured the float bow height and was not to bad off. Could this be electrical?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes. Tore it all down. Even bought a new carb and had the same issues. Measured the float bow height and was not to bad off. Could this be electrical?

depends. Just like no-start fuel and ignition issues mimic one another. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. Check gaps, clean etc. etc. reinstall and see if problem is the same. After trying to run throttle to get backfire etc carefully remove plug as it'll be hot. See what it looks like. Dry or covered in fuel. That will tell you if fuel or electrical.

I'm not a big carb guy but I do agree that it probably is the main jet or some sort of fuel restriction when hot. Since it idles it is getting fuel and spark and since it runs fine cold, something somewhere is getting way too hot and causing issues. I'd also trace the fuel line from the petcock to the carb and make sure it isn't restricted or pressing against something it shouldn't be...

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,009 Posts
I did miss the part where you said you could rev it past half throttle with no issues until it’s warmed up. That would get into the main jetting. So when bike is cold it will fire up and run normal? In five minutes or so when it warms it idles perfectly, but won’t let you ride it as it dies as if it’s out of gas? You bought a new carb, (eBay China crap)? The reason I ask is I have had all bad luck with them from my Atv’s to motorcycles they are junk IMO. You did rebuild your stock carb? Did the bike sit with fuel in it and that is why you “cleaned the tank”? What did the plug look like? Black, wet, reddish tint, brownish tint on electrode? I would start by removing the fuel, pull the fuel hose off of the carb with petcock closed of course, get an approved gas container drain the tank looking for good steady flow. Remove the petcock check the screen for debri, clean it if needed, if good flow and clean reinstall. Next get rid of that fuel filter it is not needed. Next I would adjust the float to proper spec. I would then start with idle adjustment procedure, each section of adjustment will affect the main output. The needle will have the biggest effect and if the bike is stock and you are below 2500 feet I would not change stock settings. Remember all adjustments are done with a warm motor. So let’s say you did the idle but can’t get to the midrange and main jet because it dies. I would try another new (regular) I believe it is CR8E plug no fancy E3 or spitfire. NGK seem to be best for kawi, yama, zuki. If new plug doesn’t solve the issue , I would honestly remove carb disassemble, reassemble adjusting float height( those double disks are PITA, but once it’s set it’s good for life. I f your sure the carb is spotless, assembled correctly, adjusted correctly, the only two things left are air cleaner or restriction in tubing, coil or igniter box, these have been known to fail not super common but could explain the “hot” issue, it would also make sense as you say it just happened all a sudden, that is a sure electronic failure sign.

Reactions: ConwayStryker

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did miss the part where you said you could rev it past half throttle with no issues until it’s warmed up. That would get into the main jetting. So when bike is cold it will fire up and run normal? In five minutes or so when it warms it idles perfectly, but won’t let you ride it as it dies as if it’s out of gas? You bought a new carb, (eBay China crap)? The reason I ask is I have had all bad luck with them from my Atv’s to motorcycles they are junk IMO. You did rebuild your stock carb? Did the bike sit with fuel in it and that is why you “cleaned the tank”? What did the plug look like? Black, wet, reddish tint, brownish tint on electrode? I would start by removing the fuel, pull the fuel hose off of the carb with petcock closed of course, get an approved gas container drain the tank looking for good steady flow. Remove the petcock check the screen for debri, clean it if needed, if good flow and clean reinstall. Next get rid of that fuel filter it is not needed. Next I would adjust the float to proper spec. I would then start with idle adjustment procedure, each section of adjustment will affect the main output. The needle will have the biggest effect and if the bike is stock and you are below 2500 feet I would not change stock settings. Remember all adjustments are done with a warm motor. So let’s say you did the idle but can’t get to the midrange and main jet because it dies. I would try another new (regular) I believe it is CR8E plug no fancy E3 or spitfire. NGK seem to be best for kawi, yama, zuki. If new plug doesn’t solve the issue , I would honestly remove carb disassemble, reassemble adjusting float height( those double disks are PITA, but once it’s set it’s good for life. I f your sure the carb is spotless, assembled correctly, adjusted correctly, the only two things left are air cleaner or restriction in tubing, coil or igniter box, these have been known to fail not super common but could explain the “hot” issue, it would also make sense as you say it just happened all a sudden, that is a sure electronic failure sign.
Tank was cleaned as a precaution to make sure nothing foreign was in it. Petcock was inspected and cleaned. No clogged screens or issues with flow. Have fresh ethanol free gas. New oil. Oil filter. NGK spark plug. Took the jets from the eBay carb and cleaned them just in case and put them in the stock carb. Air compressed the **** out of all passages. Old spark plug when pulled was black and wet. It sounds like a fuel bowl float issue but when measured it’s within spec. No vacuum leak found. Fuel lines are good.

I’m looking at replacing some basic electrical parts now. Will try the relay, diode and CDI one at a time and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts