Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha Stryker.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, bike was running beautiful on the way to work, left for lunch to go home (fortunately) when I went out to get on bike and ride back to work, put key in ignition, turned, all lights came on, tapped her into neutral, pressed start, and a single click, all lights and displays went black. No turn over nothing.. checked wires for something loose, from control to key, removed seat, checked batt terminals and fuses, passed visual inspection, turned key again... lights.. okay, pressed start button again.. one click and back to black. Assumed cold killed the bat maybe? So tried a running push start. Nothing. After a few attempts and now rubber legs and out of breath, I had to jump in car to make it back to work a little late. Tried again today, same, lights came in at key turn, pressed start, one click killed everything... (yes kickstand was up and in neutral)... help? Where do I begin? I've searched for something similar in threads but haven't found anything yet.. 2014 base. PC5, V&H pipes, no other mods I'm aware of.
Thank you in advance.

Update, just in case, took battery to shop to test. Battery solid, full charge, checked 3x...

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
968 Posts
I know you said battery at full charge, I would take it to a auto parts store and have them test it with a load it can have 12.8-13.0v and still be bad. It really sound like that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I know you said battery at full charge, I would take it to a auto parts store and have them test it with a load it can have 12.8-13.0v and still be bad. It really sound like that is the problem.
Sounds right. Put on tender overnight or jump start from non-running car etc.
Multimeters are great tools but batteries can fool them. The initial reading is just a surface reading so unless it is low not too much good info there.
Daily drivers(bikes or cars/trucks) can survive on bad batteries with just surface charge for a year or more. Everything works fine as long as it starts. In reality you might have 2/3's, 1/2 or even 1/3 or lower of real "usable" battery but as long as no dead cells and 12V it'll work fine. Now let it sit a few days or a week and it'll probably fail...

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha Stryker.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery was good, had it checked. Got home bike fired up like nothing had happened. Ran fine for two days. Now again. Ghost in the electrical somewhere.. got wet a few days in a row before being covered... maybe water wept into the harness?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts