Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Summer gear, What's everyone wearing for hot weather.

6K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  wayne 
#1 ·
Now I'm one of those guys that doesn't get on a bike without proper gear. Leather armored jacket, boots, full helmet, gloves etc. Rode motocross and learned first hand the importance of protective gear when (not if) you crash. That said it gets rather uncomfortable when the temps hit 90 to be decked out in a black leather jacket, even with venting. What do you guys wear when the temps get up there?

G
#5 · (Edited)
I always wear boots, jeans and a helmet. During hot (90+) weather, I do just wear a t-shirt rather than a jacket.

Edit: This is for local riding. If I travel any distance at highway speed, at least a long sleeve denim shirt for hydration reasons.

#10 ·
Recreational cruising: lower cut (6") boots, jeans, long sleeved t-shirt, denim vest with my full faced helmet. Jafrum.com makes a denim concealed carry vest (black or blue) for $39.99. Good quality and very functional.

To work (I come home at night): combat boots, bdu pants, leather cruiser style jacket (it has optional vent pockets, no armor) and my helmet.

Armored leather jackets were primarily designed for track use, going fast the whole time rushing air into the vents. But stop and go traffic situations you will always roast. I tried the textile armored ones with some improvement, but even those were hot in the 90s (esp w/ humidity). I find my current cruiser jacket way more airy then the armored ones I previously owned.

#11 ·
Half-helmet, jeans, boots, and usually a tank top- will wear my leathers for longer trips or if I'm on back roads where I'm more liable to run through gravel-covered roads... but this is coming from someone who is cautious enough on twisties that I need a tshirt from my ride on the Dragon that says "I slayed the Dragon- by old age!"

#13 ·
Local commutes, if its really hot, I'll just do a t-shirt... Completely understanding the risk if I go down. But I never ride without jeans or a full face helmet. If it wasn't for a full face helmet, I wouldn't have a face. So, I'll never do a half helmet or a skid lid. Crashing aside - Bugs, rocks and rain at 65+ mph really hurt. A full face is personally my only option.

For longer distance day trips, I have a black Scorpion mesh textile jacket with body armor. It's comfortable, protects really well and the wind just blows straight through it and keeps me cool.

#22 ·
Local commutes, if its really hot, I'll just do a t-shirt... Completely understanding the risk if I go down. But I never ride without jeans or a full face helmet. If it wasn't for a full face helmet, I wouldn't have a face. So, I'll never do a half helmet or a skid lid. Crashing aside - Bugs, rocks and rain at 65+ mph really hurt. A full face is personally my only option.

For longer distance day trips, I have a black Scorpion mesh textile jacket with body armor. It's comfortable, protects really well and the wind just blows straight through it and keeps me cool.

+1!!

#14 ·
Just had the wifey order the Moto Mercenary armored hoodie as lighter option to my Alpine Stars leather jacket. Still a newb with less than 2000 miles under my belt so I an not comfortable enough to not have some sort of protection like riding in just a t- shirt. Always long pants and will pull out the half helmet for local around town lower speed cruising.

#16 ·
I commute to work 20 miles each way so I wear a full face helmet with a tented visor, jeans, Ariat riding boots, and a River Road leather jacket. The jacket works out nicely because it has a removable insulation liner as well as 4 vents I can open for good ventilation so i stay surprisingly comfortable. However, if you’re sitting at a red light or in traffic it gets hot quick. If I’m just cruising around town or back roads I usually ditch the jacket.

Attachments

#19 ·
Wow quite an array of "protection". i too am a full face helmet always kinda guy. Don't want to mess up this pretty face!
Skwerlee, I was just looking at that jacket Sat. Nice looking. I'm going to look around at some light weight leather and maybe textile mesh stuff. I've considered the T shirt and leather vest which I have done in the past and does provide of a bit of protection to the core but I prefer to keep as much skin covered as possible. Not trying to preach but though out the years I have had the unfortunate luck of being the first on scene to more than a few accidents both bike and auto and see to many drivers who are more interested in their cell phones than their driving. Just trying to stack the odds in my favor.

#20 ·
Wife and I have the Tourmaster mesh jackets and they work great. We use them in cooler weather. They are OK in the hot weather if you are moving, but city riding in 90+ heat is a Beatch.

#21 ·
I am usually in jeans, square toed boots, and either a long sleeve t-shirt or a flannel shirt over a t-shirt. Marines have decided I have to wear a long sleeve shirt all the time. Also either a skull cap or my full face depending on my mood. Since getting the batwing I do spend more time with the skull cap.

#23 ·
6" boots I wear to work
wrangler rugged jeans i wear to work
and carhartt tshirts I wear to work! :D

Some armored gloves for the cold ride in the morning as well.

Full face helmet, though I'm considering a skid lid. Everytime I think about buying one I usually get a bug, rock or rain right in the face shield the next day!

#29 ·
I can remember in my younger days riding with an open face helmet and getting hit with a June Bug square in the forehead. Thought I'd run into an ostrich! man did that smart! when I see the sh*t splattered on the front of my helmet after a ride it usually convinces me to keep the full face.

#24 ·
Always jeans and my EMS boots. (sorry..I don't care HOW hot it is...shorts on a motorcycle just look too gay) When it gets too hot for my leather jacket, then just a t-shirt. If I ever had to dump it, I guess I'll pay the consequences in road rash....but I ride to enjoy, and I can't enjoy sweating like a pig. ....and yes..l for all the boo's and hisses I'll probably get, there is nothing I like better than crossing the state line into Ct and putting my skid lid into my saddle bag.

#25 ·
I always wear boots when I ride. Irrational fear of laces in drivetrain and much carnage thereafter. Jeans also, because I got enough burn scars as a kid riding a dirt bike. If I'm just putting around town I'll wear my skid lid, but if I'm going out for a good ride I'll throw on the full faced and jacket. Also when I ride with the wife, we use our 2way radio setup, which is on my full faced.

If you wanna ride when it's 100 degrees out but are really concerned about gear, try soaking a towel in cold water and putting that around your neck under your jacket. It will keep you cool until you can resoak it at the next gas stop.

#30 ·
Jeans, work boots, tshirt/cutoff, and sunglasses and away I go....

#31 ·
Man, I read that normal jeans will not help. I tested this theory when I dropped my bike at low speed and ripped a hole right thru the knee of the jeans.

A story my friend shared with me is one day, his dad was riding around on his motorcycle while wearing shorts and a bee flew up one of his shorts legs ... he ended up wrecking his bike because of the bee. He turned out to be ok so it's ok to laugh.

I am shopping for a light jacket with armor. Does anyone make an air circulation system for helmets? It really does get hot in Houston, TX.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

#32 ·
LOL another good reason not to wear shorts! True jeans don't really help all that much. Hitting asphalt while moving is akin to taking a disc grinder and holding it against your body. Cloth just doesn't stand a chance hence the popularity for leather riding gear. Problem is wearing a cow at 90 degrees kinda takes the fun out of cruising on the bike! I'm also looking at mesh/armored jackets. I'm just no longer comfortable riding in a t shirt. To many cell phones driving cars these days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.