Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
without taking it out of the bike... Here's the skinny; 2011, all stock, 7000 miles. Bike is running hot, fan on way too much. Changed coolant, fresh oil right level. Next step is thermostat and I'm currently just riding around the midwest so no place to really wrench on it. Attempted to diagnose, moved tank a bit, took rad cap off and fired her up. Saw a small drop in level then it boiled over, aborted mission. Yay or nay on thermostat being shot?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not real familiar with the cooling system on these. The thermostat would be the first thing I would replace. Is it possible to get trapped air in the system. Air in the system can cause overheating.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Depends. Fan will run a lot when it is hotter out or warm out and you are in slow traffic. If in the 90's it is almost constant for me...
Fluid bubbling out is normal since the system is pressurized.

All that said, thermostat could still be wrong but bike will warn you and probably turn off if it gets too warm also...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, the fan kicks on when its 80 and ive been doin 80. I've had a few bikes and this motor is **** hot between my legs. Since I'm out here wandering by myself I'll try tracking down a therm and swap it. Nuttin worse than bein broke on side o the road. Do you perhaps know of a thermo that would crossfit? thx

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,051 Posts
I agree you can just remove the thermostat to get home. Then get a meat thermometer heat a container of water to 195 degrees the thermostat should open if not increase temp to 200 if still not opening replace make sure the breather hole is in the top position! As madman said if coolant was flushed and refilled it could have an air lock. I would assume that the other (Vstar 1300) uses the same motor, but not sure if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the info. Have you pulled a thermo on these bikes? I have the tank off and drained coolant but before removing the housing and opening it up just wanna know what to look out for. Tips and Tricks? Plz dont leave me hanging, I have searched so many threads on here that just peter out, no solution posted. Thank You

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,051 Posts
I have not removed a thermostat but looking at the manual it is not very hard to do. I would, and this is just me, lay a few rags over the heads(motor) to catch what little coolant is left in the housing. Or as long as you hose it off after it shouldn’t hurt anything. Very important to follow the instructions on re filling the coolant to release all air from system

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I pulled thermo today and boiled it. It opened at 180...right on the money. Now I dont know what to do. Looking for one that opens at lower temp. I need to be moving on from this place soon so cant spend too much time on this. Im thinking if no therm available slap it back together, do a vinegar water flush and as you said be precise when refilling. The only good thing is the temp light never came on...but that could possibly be a malfunction. SOOO frustrating. I have not much time left on this earth and I just want to ride while I can

1 - 8 of 8 Posts