Yamaha Star Stryker banner

The Official Cobra Fi2000R O2 thread

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SmokenJoe 
#1 ·
I see midlifecrisis has started "The OFFICIAL Cobra FI2000 power pro auto tuner issues thread." I have been reading and posting on the 3 or 4 threads dicussing the Cobra Fi2000 looking for a solution. I can see how it's confusing and I probably confused some people with my posts and questions.

I would like to start the Official Cobra Fi2000R O2 thread and ask if anyone else out there has this unit. I bought the Cobra Swept exhaust and the Fi2000R O2 and having the same issues with backfire and popping on decelleration on every gear. I had the unit with the Cobra settings of 2-5-5 and it was almost not rideable. I have been turning up the first (green) pot little by little and the ride has improved but still have the backfire and popping on each gear.

#2 ·
I have had a similar unit on my VTX. It was a TFI with a three pot settings. The best I could get was 2-0-0.
Guys that have had their bike with the Cobra on a dyno have had settings like 2-0-0 to 4-0-0.

This from a tunner named Tapper;
TFI – This unit is marketed under several brand names by Techlusion, Cobra, DFO, and others. It does one thing, and one thing only – it extends the fuel pulses produced by the ECU, and therefore, it can only richen the fuel mix – and never ever lean it. Typically, these units are designed to act like variable fuel jets – by adjusting two or three settings, you can add more or less fuel to the mix for a certain RPM range – usually low, middle, and high. It determines RPM by looking at the signal frequency produced by the ECU. Because these units are extremely simplistic, they won’t really optimize your fuel curve, although they can reduce or eliminate decel popping, or sometimes correct a really lean condition, But in all cases, your fuel curve will vary from lean to rich along it’s total fuel curve, so you’re only going to help the lean spots, and hurt the rich spots. These units get sold with a lot of pooey about bikes always being lean, or “knowing load”. It’s crap, since we’ve seen hundreds of fuel curves off the dyno now that amply demonstrate that most VTXs run a little lean at low rpms, and rich in higher rpms (as a rule, but not always). This load nonsense is just that, since all of the available fuel controllers modify the signal produced by the stock ECU. Therefore all of them “know load”. Don’t get suckered by marketing malarkey. Frankly, while these units can reduce decel pop, I can’t see that as a goal worth achieving, and so I never recommend these units. I think you can do better, for slightly more money.
Not sure this will help but thought I'd put it out here.

#4 ·
SmokenJOE said:
I have had a similar unit on my VTX. It was a TFI with a three pot settings. The best I could get was 2-0-0.
Guys that have had their bike with the Cobra on a dyno have had settings like 2-0-0 to 4-0-0.

This from a tunner named Tapper;
TFI – This unit is marketed under several brand names by Techlusion, Cobra, DFO, and others. It does one thing, and one thing only – it extends the fuel pulses produced by the ECU, and therefore, it can only richen the fuel mix – and never ever lean it. Typically, these units are designed to act like variable fuel jets – by adjusting two or three settings, you can add more or less fuel to the mix for a certain RPM range – usually low, middle, and high. It determines RPM by looking at the signal frequency produced by the ECU. Because these units are extremely simplistic, they won’t really optimize your fuel curve, although they can reduce or eliminate decel popping, or sometimes correct a really lean condition, But in all cases, your fuel curve will vary from lean to rich along it’s total fuel curve, so you’re only going to help the lean spots, and hurt the rich spots. These units get sold with a lot of pooey about bikes always being lean, or “knowing load”. It’s crap, since we’ve seen hundreds of fuel curves off the dyno now that amply demonstrate that most VTXs run a little lean at low rpms, and rich in higher rpms (as a rule, but not always). This load nonsense is just that, since all of the available fuel controllers modify the signal produced by the stock ECU. Therefore all of them “know load”. Don’t get suckered by marketing malarkey. Frankly, while these units can reduce decel pop, I can’t see that as a goal worth achieving, and so I never recommend these units. I think you can do better, for slightly more money.
Not sure this will help but thought I'd put it out here.
I am going to have to partially disagree with this... Changing the fuel curve using a POTS fuel controller DOES affect performance. A lean condition is never good (except for emissions purposes). Factory engines do come quite lean due to emissions control regulations... Manufactures admit this freely. By changing the fuel curve you change powerband placement. I have used fuel controllers on my Offroad ATV's and they have GREATLY benefitted from them... substantial power increase and they tend to run cooler. An improperly mapped fuel controller CAN hurt the rich spots... but rich is not good either... the reasoning behind these fuel controllers are to find the sweet spots in the fuel curve. If race teams (suzuki and Kawasaki is what I have found) use power commanders... are they useless?? Doubt it... only useable technology goes into these race bikes. I prefer the Autotune models they are not perfect by any means... but they work.

#5 ·
Yes I have to agree with you. The Auto tuners or the PC II-IIIs seem about the best you can do to add HP and torque. I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money for the type of riding I do. That said................
I hope Cobra gets all the problems worked out for you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.