Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run the Shinko on mine. Get about 5-6k out of it but I ride hard in mountains with almost no straight roads and the roads are rather rough.

With those curvey roads though comes man holes and rail tracks in the middle of turns. Which are slick as **** and harder tires like to skip and slide on me. Shinkos don't. They are softer, stickier and grip better. I had Metzler on it originally and I wasn't a fan. I got about the same milage out of them and they were significantly more expensive.

So I go with shinkos. But I also change and balance my own tires. I put new tires on about once a year sometimes twice if the season lasts a little longer. This normally includes at least 2 or 3 600+mile trips. We'll except this year when the Trans blew apart coming back from ocean city lol.

I've heard good things about the Bridgestone and Michelin options but I'll never buy one of them I changed and balanced one for a buddy and the sidewall was so soft and squishy it took me hours to get the **** thing to seat properly. He's getting great milage out of it though and really likes the dual compound design.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah my teenage days were growing up in the PA mountains. Cambria County east of Pittsburgh. The roads are so bad . I would be afraid to ride on them . One miss and you're going down. I don't do my own tires so that can be costly. For me though I'm in central Florida so no mountains. Lots of soft curves and hills, if you know where they are , but don't have to worry about pot holes. I just bought a commander 11 michelin for the rear in 240 , and a Bridgestone for up front. Sucks that michelin doesn't make a matching 21 incher. 😎
That's the general area I'm in so you know what the area is like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts