Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody has two of them 馃槅... balls ?? Nooooo.... tires and opinions...
QUESTION: Which tire goes the better distance for the money of course...
MICHELIN COMMANDER 11 or
METZLER 888 ULTRA ??????
I may go with the 240 instead of 210 stock , just debating and want some of them opinions... cmon guys ... what you running with, MICH , OR METZ ??
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will get may opinions. I went with the Avon 240 and liked it. Have a newer chrome version that I'll be getting installed soon.
Keep in mind that where you ride(and how as well) and the road conditions make a big difference. I think Toby used to get like 3K from a tire because his mountain roads were really rough and in smooth/flat Illinois I was pushing 18K+...
I'm in flatbed Florida. 馃槅... I had Avon chromes on my 2020 rocket 3 . Nice tire . Don't think 350 is cost effective though. The Mich2 is 100 bucks cheaper right now. 250 at Dennis kirk. I didn't even realize that I have a 240 on there now. The back end of the stryker is wide and so it hides the width well.
And My magna is sitting next to it in the garage with a 140 rear so I didn't even notice.

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 04 magna, what a good bike was... View attachment 124356
Im
My 04 magna, what a good bike was... View attachment 124356
I'm going to have to part with mine soon. Corbin seat , progressive 412 shocks , iridium plugs just changed. Metzler tires, sissy bar, Saddlebags, clean clean, oh and just had new chain and sprockets . All professionally done . ... only 25k on it right now. It'll do 120 and that's not guessing lol 馃槅... puig windscreen too ... 4500. Worth every penny. Lemme know if you know someone. Thx
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Fender

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im

I'm going to have to part with mine soon. Corbin seat , progressive 412 shocks , iridium plugs just changed. Metzler tires, sissy bar, Saddlebags, clean clean, oh and just had new chain and sprockets . All professionally done . ... only 25k on it right now. It'll do 120 and that's not guessing lol 馃槅... puig windscreen too ... 4500. Worth every penny. Lemme know if you know someone. Thx View attachment 124357
BTW, it's a 97 馃槑

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the true "total" cost is tire plus installation so when they last a fair amount less it does add up. Granted it probably is like $100 but getting the stinking things mounted can be $$
Exactly true. You save 100 but costs you 75 to 150 ( trust me on this with HD 馃槅) ... If you go through 3 tires, that's 3 x 5000 miles per tire , then 3 mounting costs - 3 x 80 average equals 250 roughly, added to the tire cost . 120 x 3 = 260 tires + 250 install = $$ 510 .
On the other hand a michelin or Avon might cost you 300 ( plus 80 install ) = 380 , but you'll get the same 15,000 miles out of them. 馃槑

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a new rider, live on a small tropical island, Sunday rider,do small milage, roads pretty rough. Looking for something with good grip, works in the heat and bad roads. Shinko do the job or should I be spending more?????
The softer the rubber = better grip
Better grip = shorter life span
In other words a soft rubber will wear out quicker, makes sense right? . But if you are on a budget then shinko or if they make pirelli .. not sure if any pirelli tires will fit . The OEM Bridgestone exedras are reasonably priced.

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run the Shinko on mine. Get about 5-6k out of it but I ride hard in mountains with almost no straight roads and the roads are rather rough.

With those curvey roads though comes man holes and rail tracks in the middle of turns. Which are slick as **** and harder tires like to skip and slide on me. Shinkos don't. They are softer, stickier and grip better. I had Metzler on it originally and I wasn't a fan. I got about the same milage out of them and they were significantly more expensive.

So I go with shinkos. But I also change and balance my own tires. I put new tires on about once a year sometimes twice if the season lasts a little longer. This normally includes at least 2 or 3 600+mile trips. We'll except this year when the Trans blew apart coming back from ocean city lol.

I've heard good things about the Bridgestone and Michelin options but I'll never buy one of them I changed and balanced one for a buddy and the sidewall was so soft and squishy it took me hours to get the **** thing to seat properly. He's getting great milage out of it though and really likes the dual compound design.
Yeah my teenage days were growing up in the PA mountains. Cambria County east of Pittsburgh. The roads are so bad . I would be afraid to ride on them . One miss and you're going down. I don't do my own tires so that can be costly. For me though I'm in central Florida so no mountains. Lots of soft curves and hills, if you know where they are , but don't have to worry about pot holes. I just bought a commander 11 michelin for the rear in 240 , and a Bridgestone for up front. Sucks that michelin doesn't make a matching 21 incher. 馃槑

1 - 8 of 8 Posts