Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
hummm see here is the deal, just exhaust I loved the torque it was sine the powrflo and the tuner that it changed, I really don't want to mess with the exhaust I'm going to install the prefilter and see

VICARC -- am I understanding you correctly, after the exhaust and programmer mods, you were good? And after intake mod, no longer happy? I'm glad I took the cautious approach to all these mods, I wanted to see long-term results first. Would you recommend just doing the pipes & tuner ??

I'm not sure, I mean I know I am making more power all together but it is on the upper part of the RPM's, I'm faster now specially on the highway but I enjoyed the lower rpm torque increase I got when all I had was the exhaust. It made jumping from light to light a bit more enjoyable, now here is another thing to consider, the programer did make the power smoother, you can be in fifth gear doing high 40's to 50 and the engine doesn't sputter, how is the exhaust and just the tuner? I have no idea I guess I gotta give that a try I just hate the way the stock air box looks.

I think I've seen some stock intake cover mods (replacements), that don't actually mess with the air cleaner itself. Maybe not. I think I'm going to leave the intake setup stock until after the exhaust and tuner mods are completed and tested. The choice, however, is whether to buy the Cobra closed-loop tuner, the auto-tuner, or the DynoJet Power Commander. I initially thought the auto-tuner was the way to go, plug and play is totally my speed! However, now I'm thinking setting it up on a dyno may be more beneficial.

Got with cobra tech support, they said my bike isnt the only one having this problem. From what I understood he said some bike had a different baseline a/f ratio and he would send me another unit with corrections he made. Ill post how it goes.
Getterdone- I'm having the exact same problems. I sputter when keeping the speed consistent in the 25-30 mph range. I also have a lot of backfire when I get off the throttle at higher speeds. Gonna call Cobra to see what they say. My problem is I paid to have it installed and I don't want to have to pay to make the change if Cobra sends a new programmer.

midlifecrisis said:
Got with cobra tech support, they said my bike isnt the only one having this problem. From what I understood he said some bike had a different baseline a/f ratio and he would send me another unit with corrections he made. Ill post how it goes.
Getterdone- I'm having the exact same problems. I sputter when keeping the speed consistent in the 25-30 mph range. I also have a lot of backfire when I get off the throttle at higher speeds. Gonna call Cobra to see what they say. My problem is I paid to have it installed and I don't want to have to pay to make the change if Cobra sends a new programmer.
Midlife hope you don't have to swap it out but honestly it's a piece of cake, toughest part is the injector connections. Long pair of needle nose seems to be the answer to that.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Well I got my new unit in, installed and still have the same prob. Cobra customer service is working on the issue along with their tech guys so at least they are not leaving us in the dark. Ill post what they come up with.

vicarc said:
I'm not sure, I mean I know I am making more power all together but it is on the upper part of the RPM's, I'm faster now specially on the highway but I enjoyed the lower rpm torque increase I got when all I had was the exhaust. It made jumping from light to light a bit more enjoyable, now here is another thing to consider, the programer did make the power smoother, you can be in fifth gear doing high 40's to 50 and the engine doesn't sputter, how is the exhaust and just the tuner? I have no idea I guess I gotta give that a try I just hate the way the stock air box looks.
**** 40 in 5th... I got v&h pipes and cobra pro tuner and my bike won't like being that low in speed while in 5th... Mine will star clunking.... What I have noticed also is when I'm in 5th doing 60 and I pull that throttle hard, it doesn't kick in until, I pass 70??? Any thoughts on that?? B4 I had pipes and tuner I had my bike run 1st 0-15 2nd 15-35 3rd 35-50 4th 50-65 5th 70++++++ is that why???

Re: Re: Too Much engine Mod Maybe

wannagetrdone said:
Well I got my new unit in, installed and still have the same prob. Cobra customer service is working on the issue along with their tech guys so at least they are not leaving us in the dark. Ill post what they come up with.
What do you have the 3 pots set at? I have them at 7-5-5 now and I still have backfire on every gear. Did Cobra send you a new unit with different settings?

*****OOps!! Never mind.... I see you have the CVT (auto tuner) I have the Fi2000R but having similar issues.******

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.