Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year, im a newbie here..picked up a 2015 stryker in fall, installed a cobra slip on, also picked up a complete factory air intake which i drilled the **** out of ..lol..am i going to need? or should i get the ecu modded or buy a tuner?
Which works better? love torque over higher speed...anyone with experience on this?
Thanks for your input...stay safe
glenner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glenner and to the Stryker family. Much like you, I just picked up a 14' in November. Then I proceeded to get Covid just in time for the cold weather to set in so I haven't been able to ride a whole bunch since acquiring my new toy. However, after reading over numerous posts on the site I made the choice to send out my ECU to Ivan immediately as it seems to be the best bang for the buck and really does provide you with a completely different bike. I've been out for a few short rides since installing the ECU and I can certainly feel a very nice difference on the low end and a smoother ride in general. Haven't gone on any long rides yet due to the weather and not having the time, but I'm excited to do so in the spring.
If your into torque then you should also look into swapping out your 31 tooth front pulley for a 30 tooth. This will gear your bike down a bit and sacrifice a bit of top end for some nice low end power. I have my 30T sitting in a box and will install it this spring when I go to a 240 rear tire (another highly praised mod from the forum). Can't wait to feel the difference with that installed.
My bike has V&H pipes, Barons Air Kit and it "had" an EJK tuner when I bought it. However, when I spoke with Ivan about the ECU flash, he said it was unnecessary. There's some debate on the forum about keeping the tuner on once the flash is done. I'm sure you can get a bit more performance out of the bike with some tinkering with the tuner, but might be negligible. Some others may chime in though on their personal experience and help out with some info on that.
Ultimately, I don't have much time on my bike yet, but for sure felt the difference with the flash. I trust the honest input you get from the guys/gals on this forum and felt confident in getting the flash done and ordering the 30T pulley.
For the pulley, a Bolt has a 30T and is a direct bolt on for the Stryker. You can sometimes find a Bolt owner to swap with so they can get more top end and vice versa for you. Otherwise, here's the 30T pulley part number:
3D8-17651-00-00
Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
947 Posts
Welcome to the forum Glenner and to the Stryker family. Much like you, I just picked up a 14' in November. Then I proceeded to get Covid just in time for the cold weather to set in so I haven't been able to ride a whole bunch since acquiring my new toy. However, after reading over numerous posts on the site I made the choice to send out my ECU to Ivan immediately as it seems to be the best bang for the buck and really does provide you with a completely different bike. I've been out for a few short rides since installing the ECU and I can certainly feel a very nice difference on the low end and a smoother ride in general. Haven't gone on any long rides yet due to the weather and not having the time, but I'm excited to do so in the spring.
If your into torque then you should also look into swapping out your 31 tooth front pulley for a 30 tooth. This will gear your bike down a bit and sacrifice a bit of top end for some nice low end power. I have my 30T sitting in a box and will install it this spring when I go to a 240 rear tire (another highly praised mod from the forum). Can't wait to feel the difference with that installed.
My bike has V&H pipes, Barons Air Kit and it "had" an EJK tuner when I bought it. However, when I spoke with Ivan about the ECU flash, he said it was unnecessary. There's some debate on the forum about keeping the tuner on once the flash is done. I'm sure you can get a bit more performance out of the bike with some tinkering with the tuner, but might be negligible. Some others may chime in though on their personal experience and help out with some info on that.
Ultimately, I don't have much time on my bike yet, but for sure felt the difference with the flash. I trust the honest input you get from the guys/gals on this forum and felt confident in getting the flash done and ordering the 30T pulley.
For the pulley, a Bolt has a 30T and is a direct bolt on for the Stryker. You can sometimes find a Bolt owner to swap with so they can get more top end and vice versa for you. Otherwise, here's the 30T pulley part number:
3D8-17651-00-00
Cheers!!
Absolutely!! Also v star 950/1300 has same pulley as bolt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3D8-17651-00-00
Cheers!!
3D8-17651-00-00
Cheers!!
Thanks so much for the reply...great info...sorry about the covid you got..sounds like you beat it..good for you!
in the spring i will run it with cobra i put on..then after a bit i will install the drilled out air box..run that for a bit..hopefully check engine light stays off...then send ecu to Ivans....then look for a pulley...hopefully in that order..lol..did i mention..i hate winter...lol.. stay safe

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Most, not all but most, tuners are piggyback models that usually just add fuel. Yes they can make lean conditions disappear but they are limited by reading the signal sent to the injector and modifying it a little. And if you over supply gas it just gets tossed out the exhaust pipe. After the spark fires there is only so much time for X amount of air and fuel to burn before the exhaust port is opened.
That is my view. Others have differing views. My suggestion is to research things on the web with credible sources.

Ivan's Flash is different in that he modifies the actual ECU code. His website lists what he does and he also will talk to you live if you still have additional questions.
Also, if you have a willing member close by you could go for a ride and swap ECU's half way etc. The Flash is the same for all bikes. You'll see the difference first hand that way!! Trust me, it'll be hard giving back that ECU and you'll be mailing yours to Ivan ASAP. Fair cost would be a tank of gas and lunch!! :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most, not all but most, tuners are piggyback models that usually just add fuel. Yes they can make lean conditions disappear but they are limited by reading the signal sent to the injector and modifying it a little. And if you over supply gas it just gets tossed out the exhaust pipe. After the spark fires there is only so much time for X amount of air and fuel to burn before the exhaust port is opened.
That is my view. Others have differing views. My suggestion is to research things on the web with credible sources.

Ivan's Flash is different in that he modifies the actual ECU code. His website lists what he does and he also will talk to you live if you still have additional questions.
Also, if you have a willing member close by you could go for a ride and swap ECU's half way etc. The Flash is the same for all bikes. You'll see the difference first hand that way!! Trust me, it'll be hard giving back that ECU and you'll be mailing yours to Ivan ASAP. Fair cost would be a tank of gas and lunch!! :unsure:
Thx Billy...its overwhelming...going to ride with just the slip on first.(.only put a couple miles on bike due to weather)..then install heavily modified air box....then cpu to ivans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts