Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this fairing off Ebay after my bullet was dropped and cracked and I realized it would most likely not be able to be repaired. At first, I was searching for a replacement but got curious what the price difference would be for a batwing. Doing my research with Memphis Shades, Amazon and SSCustoms I ran across this one. It was about a $60 difference so I mulled it over for a couple weeks and pulled the trigger. I ordered it on a Thursday night and it was at my door the following Tuesday.

I have no experience with any other shield besides the bullet so my first impression was WTF? I clearly remember reading in the description that it was hand laid fiberglass. Why does it look like plastic in the box? Well, I pull it out and it might weigh 2 pounds. I thought I had been taken. As I look it over for any scratches or dings from shipping (packaged very well) I see that it is indeed a fiberglass shell with a plastic covering. So that made me feel a bit better.

batwing1.jpg

batwing2.jpg

batwing3.jpg

As you can see in the pics above, I hope, the edges are not tight and smooth forming to each other. After going back to some other forums and links I found on the internet I reread that this is common since it is hand laid and not done on a machine. So I guess a little sanding and body work may be in order. Like I say, have no experience with other 2-piece batwings like those on Harleys, Tsukaya or Reckless. Don't know if they are tight fitted at the seams or not either but I thought to myself - "Well, you are paying 1/3 or more what they cost".

clear shield.jpg

tinted shield.jpg

So now I dig a little more into the box and I pull out the two supplied shields, one clear and one tinted. These have stickers on the printed in Chinese so I assume they (USATrailer) just get them and don't make them themselves. I put them under the table light and I see what I think are scratches and gouges. I'm really not happy at this point. I read the instructions and make sure all the nuts and bolts are there and 4 nuts and 4 bolts that I need to attach the fairing to the clamps are not in the bag. I send an e-mail to USATrailer that night but heard nothing. By Friday I call and the lady that answered says the guy who handles things is on his honeymoon and will be back this Tuesday. She also asked if I pulled the protective film off the shields and were the scratches still there. DOH! I didn't know that was there and sure enough, when I pull it off, they are nice and clean. Now I know I could go to Lowe's and get the stuff I need, but heck, I paid for it so I'm gonna make them send it to me.

BTW, if you are like me and have the quick release fork clamps from MS, they won't work with this fairing. You have to get the adjustable clamps from MS that they site on their Ebay website. This will mean the fairing is permanently attached to your forks. Or, as long as it takes to loosen 4 allen head bolts. Also, you will need 2 sets of fork clamps. They don't make that clear in the description. They are around $25 off Ebay or Amazon per set.

So, would I recommend this to you guys? All, in all, I'm pleased and I would recommend it for sure. It's sturdy and has alot of room inside for speakers, amp, whatever else you would want to incorporate into your fairing. At $280 to my door, it was a no-brainer for me. Especially if you consider a MS would run you $300 at the cheapest for a one-piece. Then you look at the others and you're talking about $800 at least with whatever products they could find the best deal on. I bought this so I could put what I want in it.

So now, I'm just doing my research for the radio/speakers/amp. So far, this is what I think I'm gonna go with.

Head unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9S66IS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

6x9 speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-T1693-Full-Range-Speakers/dp/B002G9DO9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493594412&sr=8-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+6x9+power

Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-PBR300X4-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B004T163SY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493598750&sr=1-4&keywords=rockford+fosgate+amplifier

Pretty sure I'll be happy with this setup and for me, the 6x9 will give a much fuller sound than the 5 1/4" speakers all day long. Now I just gotta work some more overtime and get an item every payday or so. Then worry about getting it installed and painted. Hope this helps out anybody else looking to go this route or on the fence like I was.

Ride safe everybody

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looks like a pretty good option for the price, thank you for the write up! Let us know how it goes installing...the last hurdle.

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just gotta finish my degree from Money Imagination Time university. I'll post pics when it's all done for sure

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's in the hands of lady that does all the work for me on my bike so I'm not installing it myself. She's installing the stereo/speakers/amp while doing the other mods to the bike. I did put it together an did a dry run before I bought the adjustable fork clamps. I think the ignition is gonna have to be relocated. It didn't seem to fit just sitting over the headlight with it in place. I took a screenshot of Maz's ignition mod and sent it to her for reference. Where the bump out for the stereo is molded just didn't sit right. She thinks she can reuse the quick detach hardware from my bullet cowl, so we shall see. Haven't returned the fork clamps yet just in case. It was the night before I got it over to her so I didn't think to snap any pics. I still have a couple other items to get to her so if I can I'll get some pics then

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to leave this thread open-ended like that. I haven't logged on since sometime in Nov I think? tcraney, I see you did a bang-up job on yours. I assume my amp is located behind the radio as well. So I'll give my impressions so far and I welcome yours too tcraney as well as anyone else how has done it (I understand there is a guy just around the corner from me looking to get his installed where I got mine adjusted). I'll add the pics I have here as well so others can see if they are finding this on google.

So, of course you will have to allocate money for the head unit, speakers and amp with this fairing. You will also have to buy the correct sized fork clamps from Memphis Shades. I can't remember the size but I want to say it's 41mm? If I'm wrong, someone correct me. I bought the wrong size first and then after buying the correct size, turned out didn't have to use them because the quick-release ones I had on from the bullet fairing worked better and gave more adjustment. I am being told this, since I have all my work done for me.

Once you get the fairing and do your dry run fitting, you will notice that the ignition switch is in an odd place. I had read on USA Trailers website in the comment section that one person had to remove his ignition to mount it. This is absolutely correct. The lady that did all my work before she closed her shop had sold almost all of her tools and was unable to drill out the bolts that supposedly Yamaha snaps the heads off of after installing the ignition. I'm being told by the Yamaha tech that did the work that they do this to prevent someone from stealing the bike by breaking the ignition. Who knows.

So you got the ignition drilled out. Now what? I got a universal ignition mount I found on Ebay from diycycleparts to mount the ignition between the head cover and the frame backbone using one of the frame mounting nuts. (Looks like I got the last one he had in stock but you can send him an e-mail to [email protected] and he'll hook you up. Super cool guy) If you don't relocate it and have big hands like me, you will play **** trying to get the key in or out much less turn it. I was having to use my left hand when on the exhaust side of the bike and vice-versus. Not a smooth look when out and about or getting gas.

Okay, now the fairing is sitting right, you got the head unit/amp/speakers/shield in and buttoned up. You wanna hear how it sounds. I strongly recommend getting speakers that you would put in your automobile as far as quality. I found a smoking deal on the "waterproof" Polk Audio speakers and picked them up. Mistake. They sounded good in my garage with the bike off but going down the road with the Cobra slip-on at about 60mph, I ain't hearing too much. From what I have since learned, there is no such thing as a "waterproof" speaker and the water resistent coating that is on them does not make for the best sound production. So all those guys on Amazon that gave them such good reviews can suck it. Learn from my mistake. Spend the money and get good speakers and just don't hit them full blast with the water hose when your washing the bike. Also, get a waterproof (there's that word again, we'll see) cover for your radio when you install it. It will help keep the rain out and protect it when you wash the bike.

So how does the batwing do on the road? Well, for me I never had one before so I was expecting great guns over the bullet from everything I've read on here before. Not so much in my experience. USA Trailers gives you 2 shields, 1 clear and 1 tinted that are like the OEM Harley ones on the Street Glides. I don't know if it's the size of them, the shape or the batwing itself but I get a lot of wind around my full-face helmet. Oddly, it's more than with the bullet fairing. I've heard ppl describe the turbulence as "choppy" and I never understood what they were talking about until now. I'm 6'2" and I am looking right over the top of the shield. That's what every vid on YouTube and shield website says is the correct height, coming up just under my nose. But today was a very windy day and the buffeting was tremendous. I'm gonna be getting a Long Ride Shields recurve soon. Haven't decided which one yet though. Gonna see if that helps. They have a sale everyday that ends in "y" so I'll take the chance and spend the $50.

Something else that I noticed was having to get used to all your vision being blocked in front of the bike. It was a little unnerving the first couple times at slow speeds in parking lots cause witht the bullet, it was basically like not having a fairing on at all sight-wise. I could always see what was in front of the wheel but not now. That took some getting used to for me. I use a mirror shield on my full-face and with the dark tint on the batwing, it made for an interesting first ride to work in the dark. Either I kept the helmet shield up and froze to death or I was **** near blind. I kept the face shield up cause looks are most important to me and I just don't like the look of that clear shield.

I thought I was gonna have an issue with the weight of the fairing with the speakers and all but after a few minutes, I got right over it. Doesn't make the bars feel heavy or like they wanna flop over in low speed parking lot turns. One thing that no one ever mentions and I don't know why is the way the wind will affect the fairing. The first time I was on a 2-lane road and a trucker passed me in the other direction doing 65+ I thought I was gonna boo-boo myself. Why did no one tell me about that for God sake?!? Cross winds will be "interesting" too to say the least. Just keep a loose grip on the bars and know that you may be shifted from one number to the other in your lane.

So, would I do it again and would I recommend it to someone else. I would def do it again. As much as I loved the bullet and thought it was the coolest thing since toilet paper, I really dig the look of this batwing. Once I get the shield/buffeting and speaker issues under control it's gonna be even better. I've noticed it's made me change the way I ride. I'm more chill now. I'm not ripping thru the gears or trying to get leaned over as far as I can in the corners. I'm actually staying in the right lane more and just cruising along. I'm looking forward to taking some longer trips with it in the future too. We'll see how it goes.

So do I recommend it to other ppl? Well, if you are like me and after reading this you're not discouraged with all the things you're gonna have to do to put it on your bike, then yes. I say do like tcraney, myself and whoever that guy that works at the post office around the corner from me I've heard about have done and get you one and let me know how you like it.

Brett

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some pics

fairing.fixed.jpg

key.relocation.jpg

shop.pic4.jpg

shop.pic3.jpg

shop.pic2.jpg

shop.pic1.jpg

You can see how it looks on the bike before the ignition was taken off and the gap between the headlight and the fairing as well as how far forward it stuck out. The other pic is the bracket and new ignition location. How the fairing sits now after I got it back today.

Good luck if you decide to get it and please post pics here of your progress so that other ppl can stumble across them if they search for it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only way I was able to eliminate the buffeting was to raise the fairing to the highest possible position on the forks and then raise the headlight to match with a new mount (aftermarket light). I also added the MS deflectors. The fairing came with the tallest recurve deflector, alone it did not resolve the issue, but all of that combined seem to have done the trick.

None of that addressed the issue of wind coming up from the sides of the gas tank and hitting you in the chin pushing upwards. Next time you're out riding take a hand and put it right on top of your gas cap and you should notice the reduction in turbulence.

I have the Lindby bar on my bike and they do make leather(?) guards that fill in the gap on the highway bar but they do not make it for the Stryker(nor do they plan to per our conversation). They suggested I take it to an upholsterer to have something made...it may be worth a shot if it helps, if it doesn't though that will suck because I'm not a huge fan of that look.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Lindby_Weather_Guard_p/3550-0012.htm

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info Maz, thanks. I was just reading about the fork lowers reducing the buffeting on the RG on their forum today and thinking I remembered seeing a vid from Cruiser Customizing about the leather inserts. I am planning to get the Lindby Bar down the road. I guess I might have to look into getting some sewn up or something. I'm gonna try the hand test and see, I bet that it's coming from under the tank too. You say you have the fork deflectors on yours now?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Good info Maz, thanks. I was just reading about the fork lowers reducing the buffeting on the RG on their forum today and thinking I remembered seeing a vid from Cruiser Customizing about the leather inserts. I am planning to get the Lindby Bar down the road. I guess I might have to look into getting some sewn up or something. I'm gonna try the hand test and see, I bet that it's coming from under the tank too. You say you have the fork deflectors on yours now?
Correct, and the tallest re-curve windshield.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
Really appreciate the reviews on the batwings. I have decided to not go this route right now. Buffeting is something I can't stand. With nothing on front for some reason I have no problem with the wind. When I put the tall sheild on and tried every flipping position, I thought my head was going to explode. Pulled the trigger on bags instead.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Maz. Bike is looking nice and clean. Gonna set it off with those powder coated bars

Preacher, I don't blame you a bit man. I think you'll be happy with the bags and I can't wait to see em on the bike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, all I can say is “Finally one-up for the short guys!” High-five! I am 5’8” and I experience no helmet buffeting and I did not have to move the ignition. And I agree with you. Other guys go flying past me like they want to race. But I cruise with my sounds bumping and the Stryker confidence that if I wanted, I could take them, but that would defeat the purpose of ‘cruising’. Stryker, first best decision, USA fairing second best decision. Oh, and I love my wife too ;)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahaha Very cool to hear T. Good on you that you didn't have to move the ignition. Having big hands like a lower primate myself, it was just too much of a hassle to get the key in or out. I had a "Ah-hah" moment while riding one day and cracked the visor on my full face to the first notch. All buffeting almost gone. Saved myself some coin but I may still change out to a recurve shield just cause I like the way they look.

On a side note, I NEVER got "the wave" or any love from the Harley guys riding a "Me too" but now I get it from almost every one. It cracks me up when I'm at a stop and they come over to look at the bike and realize it's a Yamaha. You get any of that with yours?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts