Yamaha Star Stryker banner

valvoline full synthetic.....mc/ vs. automobile

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  UrbanRage 
#1 ·
no one at valvoline will give me a straight answer on this. i buy valvoline 4 stroke full synthetic in 10w-40 for my stryker and 20w-50 for my HD sportster. it runs about $9 a quart. on amazon you can buy both as a 6 pack in auto version for $6. the auto version does not have that conservation label. are these basically the same oil, just marketed for more $$$?. i have been told that as long as that conservation thing is not on bottle you can use in M/C's also. i know i did it in my 1982 yam xj550 for 25+ years.

#2 ·
motorcycle oils will have a JASO-MA label it has to stand up to the friction of the wet clutch. I run valvoline regular motorcycle oil in my styrker and full synthetic in my gsxr-1000 (required). Unless the bike says you have to run full synthetic and you change your oil regularly then regular motor oil is all you need to run. If the bike doesn't say to run full synthetic then you can end up with leaky seals.

#4 ·
When I got my VTX1800 I inquired about syn. oil. Tech said no problem so I started using 10w30 Mobil 1 without the Energy Conserving label on it. 58,000 miles and still going strong.
Yamaha sells full syn. oil for bikes right? When I picked up my bike the other day there was a guy in for an oil change. Tech asked semi syn. or full syn? He told me $80.00 for oil change plus supplies. ::)
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/apparel/apscitemdetail/3/121/all/1/7452/detail.aspx

#6 ·
not likely but it can happen it can seep thru the seals. High compression engines like on my gixxer are designed to run on synthetic because it has tighter seals to compensate for the higher rpms and more friction. If your changing your motor oil every 3,000 miles then save your money and run regular motor oil. If your going higher miles say 5,000 or more between oil changes on a low compression motor then you might want to run synthetic

#7 ·
maybe it is a sales pitch, but i have been told that ifyou reach engine oil temperatures of 220 degrees, which my sorty does regularly in summer heat, that full synthetic was best choice. new to the stryker, i guess im brainwashed on the full synth. oil for motorcycles. harley davidson recommends synthetic oil for all thier m/c's...but 95% of thier bikes are air cooled. my harley has a oil temp. gauge, not sure how you monitor engine temp. in my stryker.

#8 ·
Just pour in whatever helps you sleep at night.
If you think that synthetic is probably the best choice, then pour it in. You will always second guess yourself if you choose conventional. I run rotella 15w40 conventional oil (diesel stuff) right now with a purolater filter. It's what my ZRX's preferred and my stryker actually shifts/runs fine on it. As long as it's clean, it's good.
Conventional Valvoline, without the energy conserving label, will be just fine.
****, just to prove it, I will change my oil to valvoline at the next change..

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.