Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start this review even though I had to send back my bags as they arrived damaged (not the companies fault).

I'm a little disappointed in there customer service, only due to seeing the bags I bought two weeks ago are now $78 cheaper (with no coupon) So I asked if instead of an exchange I could have a refund and i would purchase them at the cheaper price and save myself $78 or if they would consider reimbursing me the difference and still send the exchange. Note: there return policy states you can return them for full refund even if you decide you don't like them. As long as you haven't drilled holes and all hardware is there that came with them.

When I pointed out to Steven that statement he also showed me that prices are subject to change without notification policy. I get that but it's been two weeks and $78 dollars is not a small amount. But they won't budge so now what I have to do is once i receive the replacements is send them back for a full refund, then repurchase them at the lower cost. What a ridiculous way of doing business. It would save the company time and money and also my self time if they would just give me a refund now with no exchange.

The lesson is don't but from them during motorcycle show time or sturgis time as they price gouge everything. These are the leather covered lamaller hard bags. they are normally on the site for 569.99, but when a show come up they are supporting the price goes to 647.99, just FYI!

Once it all get figured out, I will post a review of the actual product quality and install.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good update with their customer service. Once I read that you have to drill holes I opted out for purchasing. Went with a bikerfriend bad which doubled as lumbar support for those long rides

Hope you get your money back and bags in time for any trips!

·
Registered
668 Posts
dont you have to pay the return shipping to get a refund? starts to eat into your savings a bit sending them both back...I get what you are saying but personally if they werent going to respect my business enough to give me the lower price and avoid all of that shipping/refunding headache then I would just return them for a refund and look elsewhere. Tell them why too. Making you do all of that is just them betting you wont bother. If they can discount the bags $80 thier margins must be pretty good, so its not like they are going to have to shut down the business over this.

I have viking bags, and they are alright (also had some quality issues), I sort of wish I had gone another way but I only put them on when I have a need for them so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Sorry you have to go through this man. I bet it's some guy that answers the incoming calls like at my job that's been there for too long and hates his job and just doesn't give a [email protected] anymore. That's the kinda guy that can torpedo a business. If you get the run around, ask to speak to someone else, sometimes it can get you around the problem. Hope it works out for you and you're happy in the end

·
Registered
75 Posts
If those are the same bags i have im pretty sure I paid closer to $350 when i got them, not worth $500 let alone more. I got them during the Black Friday sale they had. The glue doesnt hold the leather down on one side well and one of the locks doesnt hold well unless you slam it. I was happy at first and for the price i paid it was ok but wouldnt recommend.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If those are the same bags i have im pretty sure I paid closer to $350 when i got them, not worth $500 let alone more. I got them during the Black Friday sale they had. The glue doesnt hold the leather down on one side well and one of the locks doesnt hold well unless you slam it. I was happy at first and for the price i paid it was ok but wouldnt recommend.
same. I had one of them opening while riding in a lean due to the lock not catching.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine have been fine so far. I will admit that some of the paint is not the greatest but overall they are OK. Sucks about the customer service. That guy should be looking for work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor quality bags

I’ve experienced similar problems with their customer service. Plus their installation instructions were written by some who didn’t know English. The bags are made in Pakistan - leather is thin and poor quality. Hinges are rough aluminum. Bolts have fallen out and the mounting hardware is very cheap. I added washers, new nylon insert nuts, and new bolts. I’m about ready to add some reinforcing plates to keep the leather from wearing. Would never buy from them again. Oh and locks they put on these bags must have come off a child’s toy.:mad:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have the painted hard bags and they match the black paint of the 2012 I have very well. I did add big fender washers on the inside to distribute the load. The stock mounting arms are fine but the bolts suck. They were long threaded pieces that did not fit properly and were cheap galvanized garbage . I sourced stainless allen head smooth shank bolts and some additional spacers to fix the issue. It added maybe $20 to the cost but made the install so much better. Over all, I am OK with them but I really wish we had a good quality solution to adding hard bags to our rides without dropping a grand or more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Horrible quality product!!!! After only a few weeks after installed the paint on my black painted bags began to chip like they had been shot by a shotgun shell! I called emailed customer service and provided pics. Needless to say they were very unapologetic and refused to assist me with my issue. Local body shop quotes $800 to sand, prime, repaint the bags. I would not recommend these bags to my worst enemy! AVOID!!!

...end rant haha

I'm going to start this review even though I had to send back my bags as they arrived damaged (not the companies fault).

I'm a little disappointed in there customer service, only due to seeing the bags I bought two weeks ago are now $78 cheaper (with no coupon) So I asked if instead of an exchange I could have a refund and i would purchase them at the cheaper price and save myself $78 or if they would consider reimbursing me the difference and still send the exchange. Note: there return policy states you can return them for full refund even if you decide you don't like them. As long as you haven't drilled holes and all hardware is there that came with them.

When I pointed out to Steven that statement he also showed me that prices are subject to change without notification policy. I get that but it's been two weeks and $78 dollars is not a small amount. But they won't budge so now what I have to do is once i receive the replacements is send them back for a full refund, then repurchase them at the lower cost. What a ridiculous way of doing business. It would save the company time and money and also my self time if they would just give me a refund now with no exchange.

The lesson is don't but from them during motorcycle show time or sturgis time as they price gouge everything. These are the leather covered lamaller hard bags. they are normally on the site for 569.99, but when a show come up they are supporting the price goes to 647.99, just FYI!

Once it all get figured out, I will post a review of the actual product quality and install.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Round 2- received the replacements No damage. Went to return them so I could re-order and save the $90 bucks but they want to charge me to restock them, so you can send them back for any reason but it will cost you! I'm keeping them as it won't be worth the hassle. Hope to install this weekend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Should include this forum on an email to the company.... see if they'd like to rethink their stance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess the experience is hit or miss? I bought a pair of the leather side pocket lockable bags and had them shipped to Canada. Arrived in perfect condition, all parts present plus a bunch of extra bolts and such.

Mounted up in under an hour and fit very nicely. I haven’t had them long so I can’t comment on the durability but they seem well constructed and i think will last me a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally installed. I have to say I would of rather removed the motor rebuilt it and reinstalled the motor than attach these bags, I'm not sure if i just didn't understand the directions, but trying to hold the bag with the bike level then marking where the top bolt goes through while holding the bag level was at least a case of beer (if i still was drinking per side). Then if you follow the directions it tells you to set the bracket on the bag -top hole in bracket with the mark you made- keeping the bracket level with the
bottom of bag- mark bottom hole. Do this for each mount point. Having a factory fixed backrest made this even more challenging. It took me four days about three hours each day -before I was so mad I had to stop, nothing lined up. After many cuss words, much repenting, much more repenting, It finally came to me to not to put the bolts in the lower mount holes until after you mount it to the fender so the upper bolts which I bought black oxide allen head bolts because what they send you is cheap regular strength bolts not even grade 5 and they are threaded all the way which looses strength. and I could see with the wife against the back rest and the bags full especially with her 20lb purse it was a disaster waiting to happen, wanted to avoid that so I purchased 12.9Ok, metric alloy black oxide bolts- separately and cheaply they need to be 100mm long or it will protrude out too far and possibly cause tire damage especially those that lower the rear. (8MX1.25X100) you need 4. The bottom bolts are 8MX1.25X25 you need 4 of these. I plan to use My spike bolts I got from Brother Jazz for the bottom. Just to give it a personal touch. So the bags are on look good and seem strong enough, but wait there is more disappointment coming. It wasn't even 10 hours new and I was up at the bank at lunch depositing some checks, walk out and a guy at the MAC machine say a red car hit my bike and just kept going, it didn't knock it over but when I went, or ran to it is more precise, the corner of the bag was ripped just the leather but noticeable, yup more swear words, more repenting. The guy told me which way the lady went so I tried to find the car red toyota camry, no plate number but had an orange salt life decal on back window. I drove the back roads for about 20 minutes nothing, prayed, but i'm sure the Lord new better than to let me find the ignorant person who hit and ran as I was still fuming mad. Went back to work the long way because a nice fast ride can be therapy sometimes to sooth the anger. I ended up on a cobblestone road/hill and heard a thump stopped but didn't see anything wrong nothing loose, so headed back to work, when I got back I noticed my vertical plate was cockeyed. Well not sure how that happened but straightened it again as I had a good 5-7 inches of space between plate and bottom of bag. What I didn't realize is... and I have to take the blame here... I have my plate mounted on the swingarm so it moved with the road, the bags are Stationary obviously mounted to the fender so the plate was hitting the bottom of the bag yes another nice tear. The leather on these bags are not glued at all paper thin- and are form fitted, I do expect in a few years I will have to remove the leather and just paint the bags as it will shrink, stretch, get washboard effect from the sun. So other than my error with the plate which it is now horizontal and a foot or better from bottom of bag. I'm going to have to say DO NOT PURCHASE THESE OVER PRICED< CHEAPLY MADE UNIVERSAL FIT BAGS! They are not worth the money or the time to install, In my opinion. Especially since this company price gouges the heck out of these.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey Preacherman,
Sorry to hear about the H&R. Some people are just @$$holes.

I will agree the install can be a challenge. I had a second person help for some of it and that made it go a lot smoother, especially lining up where to drill the holes.

One thing you should check is do your axle nuts clear the bags. Mine did not and I had to add another spacer to make it work.

I agree that the bolts they send are garbage. I went with SS smooth shank bolts and have had no issues at all. The bags have been on for about 4000 km and no issues.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Kills me to hear about what you're going thru man. I know all too well how it feels to try to do a mod and it just don't turn out right. Keep plugging brother, you'll get it right and tight

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Preacherman,

One thing you should check is do your axle nuts clear the bags. Mine did not and I had to add another spacer to make it work.
With the sissy bar spacers they stick out past the axle bolts , but thanks I just went to check that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts