Yamaha Star Stryker banner

what do you wear when you ride

10K views 53 replies 46 participants last post by  RideNca 
#1 ·
just curious what people wear when you ride, in maine there is no helmet law and alot of people don't wear any gear up here the exceptions are sport bike riders, personaly i do wear gear and i dont care if it matches just depends on my mood of the day, about 10 years ago i hardly ever used gear but one day i acually wore some and the hemet saved my life that day when i hit the ground with enough force to blow the shield off, got to love the cagers that dont look and pull out in front of you.

#8 ·
a friend of mine once told me i resembled more of a "rodeo clown" look as opposed to a "biker" look :dance:

which i'm totally good with as there are more than enough black leather clad matching gloves this, assless-chaps thats, logo emblazoned whatchamcallits, flaming skull cup holders, eagle talon kickstands, flying pigs in sunglasses gas caps, doo-rag'd biker bad boys(?) keeping the image alive, keepin it real i guess :p

that being said, depends on weather, length of ride, early morning, mid-day, late at night, etc. considerations.

but for the most part i'm comfortable keeping it casual: slip on vans, jeans, a tee, hoody or flanel, occasionally my 25-year-old leather jacket with real road rash from a get off i once had on palomar mountain in '92 - all not so color coordinated mish mash raggedy andy sorta deal - so yeah rodeo clowning it up over here boyeeee!!! :flypig:

#22 ·
I keep it real ... minus the chaps ... black Fullface helmet ... black leather jacket with logo emblazoned whatchamcallits :D ... black boots ... black gloves ...

All on a black guy riding a black bike :D

I do wear a variety of colored bandanas when off the bike to keep my dreadlocks out of my face :D

#9 ·
- I put on my riding jacket if I am going long distance but for the most part just something thin and not heavy.
- Jeans
- Runners not riding boots.
- Gloves are with me but only on if I need them (cold or wet).
- I have a full face helmet. I don't like the look as much as a dome but for me personally I like my head, so it goes on every time I ride. LOL.

#10 ·
Not really to concerned about looks. Most of the time I wear my leather jacket, boots, full face helmet and gloves that fit the weather. Open fingered leather gloves in hot weather and full gloves or gauntlets for cooler weather depending on the temps. I just picked up a River Road mesh jacket with armor for the real hot weather. I rode MX and you learn really quickly the value of good gear. To many cell phones driving cars these days!

#11 ·
Always jeans and work boots, no doubt about that. It is hot out, so it will be anything from a cut off tshirt to a legit tshirt. When it gets cooler out, I will pull the leather back out...

No helmet laws here either, clears and sunglasses work for me

#12 ·
I ride both sport & cruiser bikes and I wear the same gear.

O'Neal Racing Fastrack II full face Bluetooth Helmet, Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket (goes from a solid leather jacket, into a breezy mesh jacket in seconds via unzip able panels, cold weather gloves - First Gear Heated Rider Motorcycle Gloves, warm weather gloves - Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 Leather Gloves, Red Wing 988 Men's 10-inch Pull-On Boots and thick denim jeans.

#13 ·
good to see iam not the only one wearing gear i also ride my 954 at times and wear the same gear for both and i have 4 jackets to choose from and 3 helmets and a few sets of gloves, i like how icon fits me and i dont care if it matches. yes i do look like a clown at times but i dont ride to impress i ride because i enjoy it.

#14 ·
for myself: jeans, boots, and a full face helmet are the bare minimum. If there's any chance of hitting the highway I'll wear a jacket (mesh when hot, textile otherwise) and gloves.

#16 ·
We got in a 150 miles ride in yesterday with temps reading up to 99F(very hot for Portland OR area). So tempting to not wear gear but I always do. Yesterday we saw a guy that crashed his motorcycle that wasn't wearing gear & only a "soup bowl" for a helmet get hauled off to the hospital.

My wife dumped her new Star Bolt 2 weeks ago when she hit some gravel going around a sharp curve. The front side of her full face helmet & jacket got pretty scuffed up but she walked away with no marks on her face or any broken bones thanks to her gear.

#18 ·
Full face. Speed and strength mesh jacket and shift gloves. I got ran off the road a year ago going 60. Me personally I wear gear and feel more comfortable wearing it. A guy clipped the front of my bike changing into my lane and I went face first. I only had a broken collar bone lol.

#35 ·
Love the hat trick....a few times start especially in the spring temp is 40-50's in morning then by afternoon 70's-80's and it handles it all... Even had a chance to test out if it keeps me dry, passed nicely ...back to post boots, open finger & fly full gloves both with knuckle protection, water proof gauntlets if it's cold or wet out and if I do wear it, a Bell Revolver

#29 ·
I wear a Bluetooth Fullface Helmet, Textile Jacket that has break offs to convert to mesh, jeans, chaps if its cold enough, full finger gloves to fit the weather, boots, and an orange mesh hi-vis reflective vest over my jacket.

#33 ·
I ride in a man-thong with aviators and a freshly trimmed mustache...

#36 ·
If it's below 70, leather jacket, over 70, either a leather vest or a Bilt Mesh armored jacket. Boots, same, switch between leather and mesh depending on temp. Always jeans and a half shell, and if i'm hitting the highway, might throw on the icon leather overpants and the full face helmet. And I always wear the leather gloves, don't know why, just what I do. As for the banana hammock, I switch it up between the tuxedo bowtie one and the grey elephant one with the "trunk" sleeve :)

#37 ·
Normally, most of my riding is under 50mph and just around town on lower risk roads. So typically... I wear a t-shirt, a pair of shorts, tennis shoes, and motorcycle eyewear.

But if I'm taking more than the quick cruise around town, say an extended fun ride, or a trip, or anything above 50mph, then I go with jeans, riding boots, Icon riding gloves, Joe Rocket armored riding jacket, SyMax 2 with SENA SMH5-FM bluetooth.

But never underwear... riding is about freedom!

#38 ·
For a normal commute to work, I'll wear an Alpinestars textile jacket, jeans, desert boots (issued variety), gloves, and a full face helmet. On cold or wet days, I'll wear the boots, gloves, helmet and jeans with a full body armored textile suit. When riding around town, I'll go with jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirt, or hoodie (weather dependent), and either the full or half helmet (also weather dependent).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.