Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, what helmet does everyone wear? I personally have a gun metal grey Bell Rouge.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
859 Posts
What's a helmet? :tongue:

Wife an I have the HJC IS-MaxxII modular, for when we travel to states requiring helmets, otherwise a skull cap/bandana or fitted ball cap.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a beanie and a Shoei RF-1200 for crappy weather/long highway rides.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Tried many. Always come back to my beat up no-name half helmet, covered in stickers from wherever.

It's old and light and fibreglass and the lining is crumbling and leaving bits of black crap on my shaved head now when I take it off.

Wearing it here in Canada where 'Safety' is officially government mandated worship (like some rainbow unicorn Cthulhu) I am occasionally gawped at by latte swilling soccer moms in mini vans who quickly cover their spawn's eyes as I pull up.

Yet sometimes, after seeing riders wearing green neon safety vests and $1000 yuge titanium full face buckets, I start to wonder if I'm foolish for wearing my trusty old lid...

But then I cross the border into Idaho. And feel like a kid on the short bus after the first dozen or so senior citizens on bikes whiz past me, helmet free, grey locks blowing in the wind.

The other day I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop who wanted to 'check my helmet' for a valid DOT rating. I handed it over and he smiled and handed it back. We spent almost 20 minutes talking about all the bikes we had owned over the years (many of the same), while standing on the side of the road in the sunshine. Strangely, I kind of made a new friend. Afterwards we shook hands and I told him that if it wasn't for my old helmet, I wouldn't have had the best roadside stop ever.

So I think I'll keep wearing the old thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts