Yamaha Star Stryker banner

What to do..lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well I have had the Cobra Slash downs for a while now, and I have been thinking about removing the baffles. For the ones that have removed them, is it over kill? I have heard the sound clips but it is difficult to tell because the camera's mic.

With the baffles out won't that decrease that back compression?

Will this increase preformance or decrease it?

I know that I am the only one that can really decide, but I also want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I just installed cobra swepts on my bike last night and boy do they sound great but as you had stated in another thread Urban, They will not wake the dead, This is how i prefer them but I know there is another person on this site that has pulled out the baffles on the Cobras and stated it made them very loud. I cant remember who it was but hopefully they will see this thread and lend you some insight. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is a spot on the cobra website where they talk about this. They encourage people to leave the baffles in. They talk about the loss of back pressure and performance as the main reason. I was a bit surprised at how mild the sound was from the swepts, but have actually grown to really like it. Good rumble without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ironman1964 said:
There is a spot on the cobra website where they talk about this. They encourage people to leave the baffles in. They talk about the loss of back pressure and performance as the main reason. I was a bit surprised at how mild the sound was from the swepts, but have actually grown to really like it. Good rumble without being obnoxious.
Nice, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I run with no baffles in my swepts. They are louder than any other bike I have been around so far (mainly harleys). Performance seems to be OK though I havent tried with baffles in. I rather be loud here in vegas. It has saved me and my bike more times than I can count because you cant help but know I am coming and leaving.

·
Registered
369 Posts
UrbanRage said:
OK, well I have had the Cobra Slash downs for a while now, and I have been thinking about removing the baffles. For the ones that have removed them, is it over kill? I have heard the sound clips but it is difficult to tell because the camera's mic.

With the baffles out won't that decrease that back compression?

Will this increase preformance or decrease it?

I know that I am the only one that can really decide, but I also want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks
Do you run any tuner with that exhaust, and if not do you notice any hesitation or running hot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Cobra swept exhaust also-

When I had my pipes installed I decided to go with no baffles and let me tell you- the sound is AMAZING! Just enough but def not overkill. Only problem is that you will loose performance (both HP and torque) by removing the baffle because of the loss of backpressure. I was having issues with my bike hesitating or stuttering from time to time and after digging into it and talking to Cobra, determined that it was mainly due to the baffles being taken out. Even though I was all about the sound, I figured that if I was loosing performance that the money that I spent on the exhaust was useless. Since then I have reinstalled the baffles and must say that even with the baffles in, the bike sure does sound mean. I am happy with my decision to put them back in. I feel that I have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
He isn't talking about a different engine....he is talking in general...if you read closely, its a generalization of bigger diameter pipes and back pressure.

·
Registered
665 Posts
In theory:

Baffles in - Lower RPM peak torque curve
Baffles out - Higher RPM peak torque curve

your not losing torque or hp but with the baffles out (may feel like it due to loss of low end torque) your just moving the peak torque up in the rpm range where you may not be noticing it or even able to use it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yosemite said:
In theory:

Baffles in - Lower RPM peak torque curve
Baffles out - Higher RPM peak torque curve

your not losing torque or hp but with the baffles out (may feel like it due to loss of low end torque) your just moving the peak torque up in the rpm range where you may not be noticing it or even able to use it.
This would make sense, I just installed the Cobra Swepts with baffles and have noticed that the lower end surging has subsided some, it's not gone but much better. I bet if i remove the baffles, i could eliminate even more surge but i will let the tuner do that if Cobra ever gets these things out to us patiently waiting for them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you remove the baffles I bet the surging would get worse. Reason is because you will remove torque from the low end where the surging is and move it up to the higher rpm range. The increase in lower end torque with the new exhaust is what is helping with the surging also when you add the tuner it will help with the fuel mixture and help the engine run smoother and provide a little more low end torque with the exhaust so it should help the surging more. So if you ride a lot in the lower range keep the baffles in. For me I tend to keep the RPMs up and ride in the higher end most of the time so when I get exhaust it will be baffles out for me.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yosemite said:
If you remove the baffles I bet the surging would get worse. Reason is because you will remove torque from the low end where the surging is and move it up to the higher rpm range. The increase in lower end torque with the new exhaust is what is helping with the surging also when you add the tuner it will help with the fuel mixture and help the engine run smoother and provide a little more low end torque with the exhaust so it should help the surging more. So if you ride a lot in the lower range keep the baffles in. For me I tend to keep the RPMs up and ride in the higher end most of the time so when I get exhaust it will be baffles out for me.
Thanks, I guess I was looking at that backwards. Now I am starting to get the picture.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I love my swepts and my hearing isn't that great as it is. I think they are plenty loud enough, I can't imagine how loud they would be without baffles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the swepts with the baffles in and every now and then the bike acts like its running out of gas, it kind of spits and sputters until i get on it a bit and switch gears. Usually going from 2nd to 3rd. Ive always had surging even with the stock pipes. The cobras def woke the bike up and it rides better once you break it in, but i have to say that the surging is the only thing that really bothers me with this bike. It doesnt like going slow. I tried to take my baffles out last night and they wouldnt budge so i gave up until a later date. Ive owned it for a month and have around 1100 miles so far with the pipes being on for about half that time. Is there a trick to getting the baffles out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts