Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some of the topics on the forum that asked the question why members chose the Stryker over the Raider (I owned an '09 Raider and once had it a bit over 115 mph and I'm sure it would've gone faster. At that speed my old, I'm retired, arms were beginning to stretch out like Gumby's (I only had a handlebar bag with my flatkit inside for a windshield). I had nothing against the Raider but sold it to a neighbor. I'm pretty sure my Stryker would get up over 115 mph too but hey, then my arms would begin to look like Gumby's again. I figure if you want a fast bike buy a sportbike. The Stryker seems reeeleee happy puttin' along the backroads where I do 99% of my riding. Maybe because of its weight, shorter turning radius, lean angles, overhead cam engine/it loves the higher rpms and gets into them quick...whatever the reason it just seems happier through the twisties...I kept my '09 Road Warrior for the SAME reason, it seems to reeeleeee love the twisties AND the Road Warrior was one the few metric cruisers that DID NOT try to be a HARLEY. With the SuperTrapp slip-on the short stroke Stryker idles like a small block Chevy OR (for those of you that can remember) the older version of the V-MAX with the SuperTrapp exhaust system....PEACE RIDE SAFE....P.S. My granddaughter came up with a new name for the 2011 Stryker's Copper color, she calls it ROOT BEER..

· Registered
177 Posts
No particular order:

Price
Style
Great platform for customization
Reliability

And one of those situations where I wasn't even shopping for a bike. Went to the dealership looking for a different helmet for my GF for her bike, saw this bike and a week later took one home. Guess it picked me lol

· Registered
749 Posts
Looks, doesn't really look like anything else except a little like the Raider, which was what I would really like if cheaper.
Fit, my shadow was just too small, I'm 6 foot and mid 200s.
Size of the motor, it's big enough so if I ever ride 2 up it has plenty of power and easily keeps up with any of the other people I ride with. If the kawa custom had a bigger motor then it would have been a lot harder decision but it being a 900 I was told that was at the bottom end for riding 2 up.

· Registered
517 Posts
Went in thinking Vulcan.....came out with a Stryker.....

They had the Stryker sitting on a pedestal right in front of the door.....Didn't actually but it that day, since I wanted to look at other bikes.....but after seeing and sitting on that compared to all others (including HD's) I went with my first thought.....

· Registered
52 Posts
The_Joker said:
Went in thinking Vulcan.....came out with a Stryker.....

They had the Stryker sitting on a pedestal right in front of the door.....Didn't actually but it that day, since I wanted to look at other bikes.....but after seeing and sitting on that compared to all others (including HD's) I went with my first thought.....
That's my story as well, went in looking for a Vulcan Mean Streak and switched to the copper Stryker. Happy with my decision as well. Came down to style and price for me.

· Registered
404 Posts
I put my wife through school, and she finally started working last year. Before she even worked her first day, she said "pick out any motorcycle you want, and we'll buy it."

I was looking for something like the Midnight Warrior; didn't really like the Stryker that much from pictures I saw. Looked at the new Harley lineup, wasn't really impressed. Not a big fan of Honda's lineup the last few years, either, though almost everything I've ever owned has been Honda.

Saw the Stryker on the showroom floor, and just had to have it. I thought, at the time, "I could ride this bike home and not worry about aftermarket crap, it's just that cool."

A year later, nothing on the dang thing is stock but the paint. I think I would have been happy with a Midnight Warrior or a Raider, too, but for now the Styker is my baby.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Mentat said:
I put my wife through school, and she finally started working last year. Before she even worked her first day, she said "pick out any motorcycle you want, and we'll buy it."

I was looking for something like the Midnight Warrior; didn't really like the Stryker that much from pictures I saw. Looked at the new Harley lineup, wasn't really impressed. Not a big fan of Honda's lineup the last few years, either, though almost everything I've ever owned has been Honda.

Saw the Stryker on the showroom floor, and just had to have it. I thought, at the time, "I could ride this bike home and not worry about aftermarket crap, it's just that cool."

A year later, nothing on the dang thing is stock but the paint. I think I would have been happy with a Midnight Warrior or a Raider, too, but for now the Styker is my baby.
LIKE!!!!

· Registered
174 Posts
I remember looking for a mid-size cruiser to get back into the groove. Hadn't ridden in a few years, so a new bike was in order and the "pre-owned" lacked...something. My wife said "if you can fit it in the garage with the car and the truck then get what you want." hmmmm...game on!. Sat on this then that then I sat on the Stryker. She exclaimed, for the first time in my life that what i had strapped between my legs was "Huge! It'll never fit!"

Uh, where do I sign?

Then of course there are all the other things like power, fit, looks, and reliability. But at my age I'll take any one of these...regarding the bike, natch. Besides, there's no denying that the Stryker is simply unique in its class and is a steal for about 10K. Easy pick, and a great decision for me.

· Registered
182 Posts
Was in the market to get new bike next year so I started doing my research and really wanted Honda Fury, but last moment I said let me take a look at Yamaha, never owned one. Went to local dealer to look at Stryker with wife and that was it. Really, it was that quick. That was a Thursday, wife bought it for me the following Monday and the rest is history. She was just as impressed with the bike as I was, good thing uh ;)

· Registered
167 Posts
This is a good thread. I chose the Stryker for the style, solid middleweight performance, and price. Weight was a consideration, too. I could get a great platform, mod it, and have something that was completely "mine." I think the Low and Mean bikes actually sold me on this option. The Diego bike really shows what you can do with the right finishes.

Stryker over Raider - I didn't particularly like the lines of the Raider and had no need for the extra 600cc - I am not racing anyone and have no interest in full throttle acceleration that is so appealing about that bike to some. Raider guys like to pretend like Stryker riders are pussies afraid of the motor, but fear never entered my mind with this comparison....I just did not like the look and feel of the Raider as well.

Stryker over any HD - I really only like the V-Rod line and the Rocker C....the Fat Boy is OK. I just didn't want to spend that money and then travel 50 miles each way for basic service. I think the fit and finish of HD is better, but still no good enough for the price. I would have had to accept these bikes as basically "done" and live with seeing similar ones around. Both of these bikes are just awesome in person as-is, though.

Stryker over Victory Vegas Jackpot - This was a tough one, because the Jackpot is a cool American-made bike that fills about every need for me. I just couldn't find one that I really wanted for a reasonable price (to me). The factory 250 is just awesome. This is a really well built bike with a ton of details that the HD can't touch. I really wanted a Jackpot, but I think a modded Stryker is probably cooler.

Stryker over Fury - I was only luke-warm on the styling of the Fury, but the dealer told me that people were not happy with the all-around performance of the Fury in our area. Not a great handler on the tight roads. Add that to the more "chopper" look (I wanted more of a pro street custom look) and it was just not a good fit.

· Registered
14 Posts
Ben-Rod said:
Isn't Polaris ( makers of the Victorys ) a Canadian Based company???

Ben
Polaris Industries Inc. is headquartered just outside of Minneapolis in Medina, Minnesota.

Polaris engineering, manufacturing and distribution facilities are located in Roseau, Minnesota; Osceola, Wisconsin; Spirit Lake, Iowa; Vermillion South Dakota.

Victory - Born on July 4th 1998 the first Victory Motorcycle was produced in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

· Registered
77 Posts
Ben-Rod said:
Isn't Polaris ( makers of the Victorys ) a Canadian Based company???

Ben
Maybe you're thinking of Ski-Doo/Bombardier/BRP/whatever they're called this week? They do make a bike, of sorts. It's essentially a snowmobile turned into a factory trike. Actually, there's probably no 'essentially' about it.

· Registered
140 Posts
My father bought the Can-Am trike on the same day that I bought my Stryker. He 100% Disabled Veitnam Vet and has had both legs amputated following stepping on a land mine. He bought the Automatic shift version! He loves his bike and most of all the purpose it serves is quiet simple. He gets to ride with me! LOL!!!

· Registered
77 Posts
StrykerLover said:
My father bought the Can-Am trike on the same day that I bought my Stryker. He 100% Disabled Veitnam Vet and has had both legs amputated following stepping on a land mine. He bought the Automatic shift version! He loves his bike and most of all the purpose it serves is quiet simple. He gets to ride with me! LOL!!!
Sorry if it sounded like I was trashing it. That wasn't my intention, at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with it or anyone who rides one. In fact I'd love to take a ride on one. It's just hard for me to not see the snowmobile roots so I always see it as a snowmobile on wheels. Since it's, I think, the only factory trike based on a snowmobile I thought it was relevant to mention that fact for those not familiar with the company and/or the bike.

· Registered
140 Posts
No problem. I wasn't offended at all. I've got a pretty open mind and all bikes have their owners. LOL! The Can-Am does remind me of a snowmobile but the ride is awesome! Back to the thread however. I chose my stryker for two reasons. One is the dealer I have is excellent. I've purchased many items from him and he's a stand up guy! The other is, I was going to buy a Harley Davidson Fat Bob, however the dealer turned me off, the bike turned me off, and after sitting on it for 10 minutes I was anxious to get off. I did appreciate the metel chrome, controls, and overall fit and finish. I did not like the rubber mounted handle bars, vibrating motor, and wide, wide, wide gas tank. It was like riding a clydsdale. LOL!!!

· Registered
385 Posts
Wanting to get back on a bike after 25 years I started looking at all the crusiers. Considered HD but have never been able to understand that must have attitude. The fact that I can get everything and then some from a metric at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of HD was a no brainer -- No HD. So honestly the three I was considering were Honda Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan & the Suzuki Boulevard. Everyone was telling me that I needed to go bigger. At 6' 230lbs I would out grow all of those within months. To this day I still disagree. My days of 100+MPH and taking (IMO) stupid chances are long gone. I love climbing on and as the name implies crusing the country roads. I am lucky to have quite a few dealers near me and on in perticular that carries all models but HD. I went there and tried them all and I mean all from BMW through Victory. What sold me was the fit. When I sat on the Stryker it fit perfect. The fact that my dealer still had an 11 marked down sealed the deal. The bike is mainly stock and will most likely stay that way. I am enjoying the **** out of it and hope that continues for many years.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.