Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I have a 2012 Yamaha Stryker (Pictured).

I am not a mechanic by any means and need some help with my tires.
My local Yamaha dealer service guy told me that I should get new tires real soon as he noticed wear...
I asked him about getting 240's for the back tire and the service tech told me that I should really stick with the default 210's as it may change the bike's dynamic negatively.
As a non mechanic, how do I in layman's terms or mechanical terms politely tell the guy I definitely need 240's.
It seems many in this forum have great things to say about them.

Thanks for your help!

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Administrator
‘13 Stryker
1,159 Posts
They are just covering their butt. I would say I understand your concern but I want to try a bigger tire. I know many who have done this with positive outcome. It handles IMO better than the 210 it corners better, and helps with actual correct speedo reading.

·
Registered
39 Posts

My local Yamaha dealer service guy told me that I should get new tires real soon as he noticed wear...
I asked him about getting 240's for the back tire and the service tech told me that I should really stick with the default 210's as it may change the bike's dynamic negatively.
As a non mechanic, how do I in layman's terms or mechanical terms politely tell the guy I definitely need 240's.

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 124120
Hi, I haven,t ride a fat ass bike but is posibly true if you think about it; not nessarily will make her more clumsy, maybe the opposite because you will have the tire more curved -a little-; for me to show the original cleaning the rear is enough. In my country mod,s norms leaves +- 3% without legalize, Insurance included if you wanna ride fully legal.

But, You must fight 4 YOUR RIGHTS!!!

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha Stryker.
11 Posts
I don't want to hijack op's thread, and go ahead and roast me if this is a squid question.... if I make the switch from stock 210 to 240 as I've seen most suggested, does that require a new wheel? Or will the 240 fit on my stock wheel? ('14 stryker)
Edit: never mind.. took less than 10 sec to search answer... I'm slow..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to hijack op's thread, and go ahead and roast me if this is a squid question.... if I make the switch from stock 210 to 240 as I've seen most suggested, does that require a new wheel? Or will the 240 fit on my stock wheel? ('14 stryker)
Edit: never mind.. took less than 10 sec to search answer... I'm slow..
Same wheel from 210 to 240. No mods needed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jumping on this thread...I'll be due for new tires very shortly and I've found the 210 seems quite difficult to find in stock at the moment. Only 2 options I can find: Metzeler ME888 or Bridgestone Exedra...are there others?? Only the ME888 is showing in stock.

Any recommendations on which tire would be best for my use which is mainly commuting which is about 80% highway unless I choose to take the much longer country route home.

I did notice 240 size of the same Metzeler ME888 is noticeably cheaper, ~$50 less and there are several more options for a 240/40R18 tire.

I'm still new to riding in general too and I'm also curious if there is a big problem with having a different front tire type than rear solely due to availability. I can't see why it'd be a big problem but I'm the newbie so I'd like to hear some opinions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jumping on this thread...I'll be due for new tires very shortly and I've found the 210 seems quite difficult to find in stock at the moment. Only 2 options I can find: Metzeler ME888 or Bridgestone Exedra...are there others?? Only the ME888 is showing in stock.

Any recommendations on which tire would be best for my use which is mainly commuting which is about 80% highway unless I choose to take the much longer country route home.

I did notice 240 size of the same Metzeler ME888 is noticeably cheaper, ~$50 less and there are several more options for a 240/40R18 tire.

I'm still new to riding in general too and I'm also curious if there is a big problem with having a different front tire type than rear solely due to availability. I can't see why it'd be a big problem but I'm the newbie so I'd like to hear some opinions.
Yeah, definitely go with the 240's! I was in the same shoes as you.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 124120
240 handles much better. Tell the mechanic you want the 240, and he can either make money and keep you as a customer or not. Other option is to buy the tire online. 240 has no clearance issues, no modification required, but it is a pain in the ass to mount.
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant

·
Super Moderator
866 Posts
I have had both sizes on my bike. Both are great and work well. I had a bad experience with a belt separation on a Metzler a few years back which left me looking for other makes, but all they had in a stock tire was the Metzler last time I needed a swap on a long bike trip, so I put that on. Been fine so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
absolutely get the 240– i just did a couple months ago and it is amazing.. if ppl say it will make it handle worse, look elsewhere for advice from now on… it handles significantly better (more rubber, more round) plus it looks badass.

as for the brands i had the same issue.. didn’t want chinese, well, bc. i ended up finding a set of Dunlop Elite 3 and so far they’re great. i have no illusion that any brand will last me more than a few years, so longevity is never the top concern (personally) good luck 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be sure to watch your belt guard, you might need to trim it inwards a little so it doesn't rub the tire wall. Congrats on the 240! I love mine it sticks the turns and stays there easily thru 80.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Stairs
Tire Wheel Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, anyone finding 240/40R18 lately?
my 210 is pretty bald and i want to swap, but no one online seems to have any brands/models in stock that 'm finding.
How long are most people getting out of their OEM tires? my bike has 6,500 miles on it. rear is very worn.
How about belt life? mine looks good (but loose..)

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 124120
Hey dude,
Well I’d just say to him that you appreciate the heads up but that you really want some more tread to put down on the road.
I switched mine out to the 240 last summer and I absolutely love it. My cornering is sooo much better I’m doing 90 comfortably without having to re-correct in my leaning. I’m running Michelin Commander 2 on front and back I’ll have to get back to you on the mileage so far but my bike today has 13,000 on it now. You will have to trim you belt guard a little so it doesn’t have a chance to rub the tire wall when driving. I’ll send you some pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts