Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased and installed the 22" Windshield and was very dissapointed with the results. Getting lots of wind around the windshield and must wear ear plugs or a full-face helmet. Rode with it on for about three miles using a half helmet, turned around and went back home, took the windshield off and put my full-face hement on and rode 200 miles. It was a waste of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,531 Posts
Here's what I use. Bent the mounting rods to help with wind. Works great up to 55mph, then just keeps wind off chest.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have the factory 17" windshield and don't have any problems with it. I got the 17" because I don't like looking through the shield. I'd rather look just over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I have the 22 inch shield also and agree with John. .. Waste of money. It forces air around the sides which in turn hits the tank and comes up between the handlebars and tank. If you ride with out a helmet on you can feel the windstream being forced up your nose! With a helmet on it shakes your head. I'm 6'2". The airflow is much better without the shield and using just a full face helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,531 Posts
Sounds like Lowers are needed with the taller shield. If You put your hand along side the tank when riding and the updraft stops, then lowers are needed. Do they even have any yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
This kind of information is very valuable to us who are considering the sheild. I was gonna do the 22, now i will get the 17. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John said:
I just purchased and installed the 22" Windshield and was very dissapointed with the results. Getting lots of wind around the windshield and must wear ear plugs or a full-face helmet. Rode with it on for about three miles using a half helmet, turned around and went back home, took the windshield off and put my full-face hement on and rode 200 miles. It was a waste of money.
You asked how tall, I am 5'6". I have not found any lower deflectors that are available for the Stryker. Love the Stryker though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ktmmarco said:
I have the factory 17" windshield and don't have any problems with it. I got the 17" because I don't like looking through the shield. I'd rather look just over it.
I didn't order the 17" because the 17" hit me at eye level on the top edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I made some lowers for mine and it makes all the diff. in the world. I don't like the reflection from the spedo. off the top of the windshield at night it is in my line of sight.I am going to work on that in the off season. I think I am going to trim about 4" off above the headlight and lower the shield. this might take care of the need for lowers and be lower than the light reflection from the spedo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
i just have the boulevard which basically only kept the wind off my chest. since lowering the bike 1" I assume it changed the angle somewhat as I now have very little wind to my face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,531 Posts
cjrusty said:
I made some lowers for mine and it makes all the diff. in the world. I don't like the reflection from the spedo. off the top of the windshield at night it is in my line of sight.I am going to work on that in the off season. I think I am going to trim about 4" off above the headlight and lower the shield. this might take care of the need for lowers and be lower than the light reflection from the spedo.
Got some pictures of the lowers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
SmokenJOE said:
cjrusty said:
I made some lowers for mine and it makes all the diff. in the world. I don't like the reflection from the spedo. off the top of the windshield at night it is in my line of sight.I am going to work on that in the off season. I think I am going to trim about 4" off above the headlight and lower the shield. this might take care of the need for lowers and be lower than the light reflection from the spedo.
Got some pictures of the lowers?
did anyone ever find any lowers for the tall windshield? if you made them do you have any pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I added the 10 3/4 'Boulevard" windshieled to mine and I'm please with the results. Before the windshield I felt like I was being pulled off the bike at any speed over 55. Now the wind screen deflects the majority of the wind away. I'm 6'3 and I wear a full face helmet. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
cjrusty said:
I made some lowers for mine and it makes all the diff. in the world. I don't like the reflection from the spedo. off the top of the windshield at night it is in my line of sight.I am going to work on that in the off season. I think I am going to trim about 4" off above the headlight and lower the shield. this might take care of the need for lowers and be lower than the light reflection from the spedo.
I did that once on a Virago 1100. The headlight was glaring on it after so I had to put a visor on the light as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
firelt said:
I added the 10 3/4 'Boulevard" windshieled to mine and I'm please with the results. Before the windshield I felt like I was being pulled off the bike at any speed over 55. Now the wind screen deflects the majority of the wind away. I'm 6'3 and I wear a full face helmet. 8)
I agree with you... Since I installed the Boulevard shield my head isn't buffeted by the wind anymore. The wind is deflected up and over my head. Has a nice unobtrusive profie too! I am 5' 11".
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top